Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

googlemad

Members
  • Posts

    1,904
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by googlemad

  1. Does anyone on here have a Progeny Access Control door entry system installed at all? We got one installed for a IT suite, it works but every so often it seems to 'lock up' and stop allowing new cards to be read for input into the database. As soon as we take the fuse out and put it back in again (so basically a hard reset on the hardware) it works fine again so I think there is a hardware issue we are missing somewhere rather than a software configuration issue.
  2. Nope. It's puzzling me as it just seems to be jobs at random that decide to get 'stuck', as I know for a fact more than 1 document has been sent to that particular MFD over the last few days since I cleared the previous backlog!
  3. PaperCut MF Version: 14.2 (Build 28942) Old jobs are deleted from the pull queue after 24 hours Here is an example of what is happening
  4. On our Server 2012 R2 Papercut print server we have a pull print queue, which then sends jobs to the actual print queues once released. The pull print queue works fine, jobs stay in there as 'Paused' status until released by the user. However it was recently noticed on the actual print queues for the devices (Kyocera MFDs) that random jobs stay in the queues and the status is 'Sent to printer'. There was a small issue around disk space on the server which was recently resolved, so I decided to just clear out all these jobs thinking that might be related but a couple of new ones have already got stuck! We do get the odd person ringing up saying they released their job and nothing ever came out and I'm wondering if this is linked. Has anybody else come across similar? I did see this : Print job status remains as "Sent to printer" when Isolated mode is set in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 But it only mentions Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2!
  5. Are there are stats available on the Interweb that compare a standard i3 Desktop PC against a i3 Intel NUC? We may be getting lots of money (and NUCs) if we can do a good comparison!
  6. Binned the idea of the School system as our CIS system chucks out two CSV files at the moment - One for the AD and one for the Gmail. So might as well just set up the Google AD sync tool which is similar. Anyway I've chucked a few settings together and happily communicating between AD and Gmail, but since we only want to do students at the moment is there a way to exclude any Google accounts not in our 'students' Google sub organization from being modified? As I did a simulation and it was looking to suspend all the staff accounts which I don't think would go down too well!!! Also can it be made so when the sync takes place all the accounts in the 'students' Google sub organization are added to our Google 'allstudents' group automagically? I've been using GAM to do this previously but it would be nice to let the sync do the work!
  7. Just spotted that before leaving work funnily enough, might have a play tomorrow
  8. Bought the Plus 64GB The deciding factors for me was the battery life which I couldn't test but loading up the Daily Mail website side by side in the Apple Store on the Plus vs the normal one I could read the smaller front page summary articles on the Plus whereas on the normal it looked 'blurred' until zoomed in slightly (My eyes are horrendously bad!).
  9. Is there any utility that I can run as a scheduled task on Windows to look at a CSV file and upload any new users in it to our Google Apps domain? The CSV file will also contain existing user accounts and it is very important that they are not modified including resetting the user passwords which is the big problem with the online admin panel tool! Also ideally the users would be added to a specified group and moved to a specified organizational unit automatically...
  10. I've been asked if anybody knows how to auto play the BBC News feed rather than having to click the 'Play' button on this site : BBC News - BBC News Channel
  11. Long story cut short my iPhone 5 got nicked on Friday (Put it down on a table, walked away then realized 30 seconds later by which point it was already gone and not handed in), here are a few top tips : -Don't turn off iCloud to save battery life -Remember to turn back on Find My iPhone after sending iPhone in for service -As much as iTunes sucks ensure it is installed on at least one computer you plug your iPhone into frequently so it can take a backup I did none of the above so am pretty much screwed in that respect Anyway looking at getting the iPhone 6 as I've been with Apple since the off and therefore have far too much investment in the ecosystem to even consider anything else, does anyone have the 6 Plus? Thinking of the Plus rather than the 6 as I can then probably flog my iPad Mini 16GB which only really gets used for BBC iPlayer downloads on the train and the odd game of Monopoly!
  12. Oh one point from my build - at the end of it I thought 'wish I had just got this from a supplier who would build it for me' - I bought a fancy cooler but ended up going back to the stock Intel one as the fancy one wouldn't line up properly with the mounting holes and found it very hard to manage all the cables in the end!
  13. I built this over Christmas : Zalman Z11 Plus Gaming Case Corsair CXM 600W (It may be modular, but I've required all the cables be plugged in defeating the object a little bit!) ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 Motherboard Intel i5 4690K Processor G-Skill 8GB DDR3 RAM 480gb Crucial SSD Palit nVidia GTX 760 (second hand off someone from work) Does the job for me so far...Steam is the main reason I've built it, the games especially during sales are cheaper than console purchases and you can mod them easily etc. But then I do have a Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 on top so basically I have far too much money to begin with
  14. http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-kills-off-the-browser-ballot-menu Thank the Lord for that! I can't tell you how annoying it was for this update to suddenly decide it wanted to install on somewhat random PCs across the site despite trying everything to make it not install then have the staff moaning they had lost 'their Internet icon' on the taskbar!
  15. Looking for a low profile graphics card that is similar to a GeForce 660ti, doesn't have to be quite as powerful but does need enough juice to run all the Adobe CC stuff, 3DS Max 2015, Unreal Engine 4 plus whatever else is used for games development courses these days!
  16. When I try and start Visual Studio 2013 under a (limited) student account they select their environment style and click OK to proceed. An error then comes up saying 'an error occurred while applying your selected settings please restart microsoft visual studio' Once they launch Visual Studio again it comes up fine! Less limited ('Power Users') staff accounts work first time! Any ideas what is going on?
  17. Our Macs are linked up to our Active Directory network and the normal home areas are somehow linked up for the students on the Mac Mini server. Anyway our student home areas have a 100mb restriction via the Quota feature on the Server 2008 R2 file server (We do want to give them a slightly more generous 1gb restriction in this modern year of 2014 but are still waiting for funding for a new SAN!) - The Macs are saving preferences to said home areas and if the students have nearly filled their home area then the Macs aren't happy and complain about 'Not enough RAM' when opening applications such as Adobe and the like. As soon as the quota is increased the problems go away. So is there a way to either say to the file server ignore the quota limit if the student is logged into a Mac or a way to tell the Macs to store the user preferences in an alternate location on our file server? Very new to Macs as you can probably tell!
  18. We seem to be having a problem at the moment in that the PSUs in our Stone August 2009 PCs are going pop left right and centre! Just replaced the fifth one since the start of this academic year! Has anyone else got this model of PC or PSU with similar problems?
  19. If I add a single or batch of computers manually to the SCCM console and select to add them to my 'Deploy Windows 7 x64' device collection (to image them), there is a large delay in them actually deciding they want to actually add to that group, sometimes I have to 'Update Device Membership' several times before it seems to work! Is there a setting somewhere that I can change so they add instantly? As I'm thinking it is a timer setting designed for huge organizations with billions of PCs rather than little old us with 1000 PCs!
  20. I'm off to Orlando a week on Thursday (hurrah!) Now I do have some dollars for general holiday money, but my friend has recommended I take around $1000 for a couple of casino visits to get a taste of Las Vegas style gambling! Anyway I had a look and that works out at £620ish at the moment, is that likely to drop or rise much within the next week? Basically will there be much difference buying it this Wednesday compared to next Wednesday (I'm aware nobody has a crystal ball!) Also where would be the best place on the high street to get the dosh - or will they all be about the same? New to all this holiday stuff!
  21. I'm trying to image some PCs with nVidia 660 TI graphic cards. I downloaded the latest driver package from nVidia and imported the contents into my SCCM driver library, but for some reason the PC just isn't picking up the drivers during the OS deployment! Any ideas?
  22. Our SMT stopped the internal eBay system (Staff flogging their goods and even services via ALLSTAFF that seemed to be getting more and more popular!) The best is when someone sends out an email to ALLSTAFF then somebody wants to reply to the person that sent the message in private but ends up sending out the reply to ALLSTAFF
  23. Got a problem with our new MFDs (Kyocera 3551ci) and Chrome Basically if a user selects colour / double sided etc options using the Chrome print options they have zero effect. If they change them via the system print options they obviously do have effect, but try explaining that to a user when they can see the easy Chrome print options! Any ideas?
  24. Thanks - I suspected as much just didn't want to go ahead with several thousand accounts until I double checked! Damn Macs!
  25. Trying to set all student accounts Profile Path to map to a Z:\ drive as we recently got some Macs and they require this field for access to user home folders (As for Windows we use a login script so have never made use of this field) anyway I can set it using \\fps1\students$\2013\%username% and it does seem to save the change but I get a error at the end saying 'The home folder was not created because it already exists check user has full control to the folder' etc. Will this be OK? I know the home folders already exist!
×
×
  • Create New...