googlemad
Members-
Posts
1,904 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by googlemad
-
I'm not a huge user of Facebook at all however I was informed by a friend yesterday that I suddenly had added a lot of new Muslim friends and they had been posting weird messages on some really old posts. I logged in and indeed that was the case, I had apparently added these had extra friend requests and messages (I didn't read those). In the end I just deactivated the account. Any idea what happened? Seems odd to randomly target me with about 10 friends on there!
-
Just been to seen the Steve Jobs movie. Maybe it was because I was knackered but I found it incredibly boring and it just seemed to drag on, and might as well have been called the Lisa movie the amount of times she was mentioned! Anyone else seen it? Would I appreciate it more with another watch when the DVD comes out? I went in expecting a movie like The Social Network which I really enjoyed but this about as beige as the first Mac
-
I love SSDs and have been a long term supporter, obviously I got one first in my office PC for 'testing' (Back then, £130 for 128GB!) Annoyingly we bought about 100 new media PCs around 3 years ago which only have 64GB SSDs and obviously struggle for space which need swapping for 128GB, sadly at the time too expensive!
-
Has anybody applied PaperCut MF 15.3 yet? Some of the new scanning functionality looks good as we currently use a very unreliable Mail2Me application on our Kyocera devices which often randomly jams them up when someone uses the scanning. If I apply the upgrade does the upgrade for the MFD devices (seems to be a brand new interface) get pushed out automatically or are further steps required?
-
Unusually high number of vacancies for this time of year?
googlemad replied to speckytecky's topic in General Chat
Many thanks for your hard work in the job postings, I certainly never expected to get two interviews last year (out of four jobs applied for, so pretty good going!) and currently have three applications on the go . @witch is a great help too! (However you do that @ thing!) -
How big is the data generally? Is there a way to make it not store any cache files in there? (This is mainly what was clogging up the profiles, sometimes in terms of GBs rather than MBs!)
-
To help reduce login time for staff I am testing excluding lots of directories from their roaming profile sync including the entire 'Google' folder. The idea being they can just 'sign in' to Chrome and have all their history / extension settings / junk stored on Google's servers rather than ours. However since I have been a bit brutal by killing the entire Google directory from roaming this means Chrome doesn't remember the fact they've signed in so they have to sign in every reboot. Any way to resolve this?
-
IIS failure to send SMTP via Gmail
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Think it must be to do with that. In the end I've just set up a temporary IIS SMTP server on a 2012 R2 server and relaying through that instead which works fine. -
Inventory software other than Spiceworks
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in Enterprise Software
PDQ seems to be doing the trick. Pity it costs money for the automatic AD sync but I can get by using the free edition -
IIS failure to send SMTP via Gmail
googlemad replied to googlemad's topic in Windows Server 2000/2003
Still not found a resolution, got to be something to do with Server 2003 as using the exact same settings on a 2008 / 2012 server it works fine! -
People Are Scaring Their Cats With Cucumbers. They Shouldn't
googlemad replied to 6Foot2's topic in General Chat
My cat will pester me no end when it is feeding time, after they get out of the door though they pull a face as to 'who the hell are you' and run off on their merry way! -
Is there any free inventory software other than Spiceworks which will link in to Active Directory? All I want to do is run a report against computer OUs to establish :- Serial number Amount of RAM / RAM type Hard drive size / type (so either mechanical or SSD) I've tried Spiceworks but it doesn't seem too great at structure and alerts me to far too much stuff for what I'm wanting to do!
-
For many, many years now our Personnel server has been using SMTP in IIS via smtp.gmail.com to send out alerts to staff regarding holidays and the like. Recently it has stopped working with the following message : Message delivery to the host '74.125.136.108' failed while delivering to the remote domain 'ourdomain.ac.uk' for the following reason: An SSL error occurred. Is this Google's way of saying they no longer want anything to do with Windows Server 2003? We would have upgraded except we're getting a new Personnel system soon so no point!
-
The following seems to do the trick as a batch file attached to a computer policy 'Shutdown' action taskkill /im explorer.exe /f reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify" /v IconStreams /f reg delete "HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify" /v PastIconsStream /f start "Shell Restarter" /d "%systemroot%" /i /normal explorer.exe
-
Bingo! Using CCleaner and ticking only the option 'Tray Notifications Cache' resolves the issue, my network icon is back and the ghosts have vanished. Now I just need to find a way to do whatever process CCleaner does via a login script or something!
-
Still got a problem with this, as mentioned previously the network icon is just a 'ghost' blank icon, the volume control is present but you can't left or right click on it causing a bit of a problem as it means people can't adjust the volume very easily on their machines! Any ideas?
-
We have one which cost an extortionate amount of money and hasn't been updated since last Christmas! I don't see the point myself, just design a decent mobile friendly website then your information is all kept in the same place
-
Thanks to everyone who voted. We won a spot
-
There aren't any bargains is the real irony, if I'm looking for a bargain I'll spend as much time as I want on HotUKDeals where you can find some true bargains available all year round from the comfort of your chair
-
How do you find the interviews? I'm currently looking to do the jump and haven't applied for anything in particular yet but I imagine some of their scenarios differ to common educational ones! I would also assume there is a lot more pressure to ensure minimal downtime as Internet outages could cost the company every minute it is down for example
-
After a lot of fiddling with a machine in the office I stumbled across this thread : https://communities.intel.com/message/246644 Which suggested to try the Series 7 1.0.10.255 driver here : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21129 Downloaded and installed, working!!! Thanks Intel, I need to go and replenish my Eduhobnobs now!
-
I tried one with the latest BIOS without much luck. I then tried uninstalling the driver through Add/Remove programs and that totally kills the machine to the point where Windows just loops round booting! So looks like digging a little deeper, it's a fairly clean image too built in a VM so who knows what's upset it!
-
I've just rolled out a new Windows 7 64 Bit image via SCCM to a load of machines with the Intel DB75EN motherboard. The only driver that doesn't get pushed to the clients properly is the Intel USB 3.0 driver, no biggie really as it only seems to be 2 ports on the back of the motherboard (underneath the NIC port) where the students and staff shouldn't be poking around anyway. However just to settle my own curiosity I manually installed the driver from the Intel website which ends up blue screening the PC, when it restarts the driver appears to have 'installed' in device manager but if I plug anything into said USB 3.0 ports such as my USB3 pen it lights up but does nothing and is not detected by Windows yet it works fine in all the other ports so presumably down to the USB 3.0 not going on correctly, though I'm not really sure how to resolve it?!
-
Any chance of a El Capitan update?
-
Morning all Is there any easy way to get SCCM 2012 R2 to push out our Windows 7 64 Bit image across to the boot camp part of a Mac? Obviously we would have to add the Boot Camp drivers afterwards but I really don't want to have to do a clean Windows 7 install as it'll take forever!
