Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

jamesfed

Members
  • Posts

    2,409
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by jamesfed

  1. Hate to say it but WEP is quite old now so please if you can don't use it - WPA-PSK is where you want to be at a minimum. For our student WiFi (Aerohive based) we use RADIUS authentication so the students login with the same username and password for the school PCs - it keeps things simple and also reduces the chance they will just go out and handing out the key to their mates.
  2. If you want you could load a copy of Windows PE and GimageX onto a USB stick/HDD along with the image and then do it from there - you would naturaly however only be able to do as many PCs as you have sticks/hdds.
  3. Any firmware updates out for it?
  4. Does anyone have a dummies guide as to setting up a SSL certificate request for a SSTP VPN connection using Forefront TMG 2010? Setting up a normal cert request I can do fine however as I understand TMG 2010 is very specific about the way the certs are setup or you get a ‘Incorrect key type’ error for the Private key.
  5. Probably shouldn't be saying this but I worked at Nouveau once - the guys there certinly know their stuff and their case management system is top notch.
  6. We had a go with one of those little HPs - nice a cheap but not good for much else other than word processing. They may have the Citrix client on them but they are not rated for Citrix HDX (so smooth video/audio) so don't ever expect to get anythign better than what you get out of them now. Here we have some more powerful 10zig with Intel Atom 1.6ghz - their Linux based (so still not full on HDX) but that added processing power gives a real kick. All the same if you ever want to get the very best out of Citrix you need a Windows based thin client.
  7. Something like that
  8. One day I will give up on my pint mug scale intake of caffine and I think this has been a good boost to my cause!
  9. Depending on the size of the VM images you have you might want to take a look at getting a SSD in there to help speed things along. My personal Laptop is a HP dv2 - only a 1.6ghz Athlon Neo processor but it speeds along with as many VMs as I like thanks to its SSD and to be honest I've never run into any serious performance issues with it.
  10. We got both our HP DL165s from our usual HP supplier - there’s no need to go to anyone who specialises in Virtualisation unless you need support/setup services.
  11. Used this for the first time yesterday - some self propagating virus had got onto a staff members machine, multiple runs of Malware Bytes and Sophos didn't get rid of it and then I thought....humm time to give this a go. Took about 3hrs to run through the laptops hard drive and it chewed through every last bug on it Result - one virus free PC and one teacher having a seeing to by the NM about having P2P software on the machine...
  12. Sorry but as others have said they are just webcams on sticks - my geog dept at my last school got a cheap Microsoft Lifecam and got DT to make a simple stand for it and worked the treat. Personaly they are one of those things which just chews through the IT/department budgets that could be used so much better.
  13. 21 here and proud
  14. Yep with internal you would have- http://ipaddyofserver/ - would be wrong but http://ipaddyofserver/extranet would be right
  15. I think I had the same problem as you - HAP needs to be installed in a sub folder - so http://hap.schoolname.lea.sch.uk/ wont work but http://hap.schoolname.lea.sch.uk/hap will work
  16. Wow I would love to be able to do that We've projected at least 5 years for our DL165 G7s and I'm sure even a Stone server like that described has got a few more years left in it of good service.
  17. We've got a QNAP TS-210 with 2x2TB WD Green drives for our Primary School that we support - only the one server so we run Windows Server backups overnight and connect to the drive using iSCSI. No tape backup at all as the QNAP is on an isolated portion of the site so its the whole unless a 747 lans on top of Abingdon were fine....
  18. Were pushing on with Thin Clients (Intel atom in the client and AMD Opteron in the server) and AMD Fusion based PCs with solid states - already got a fair mix of the two. The thing I personaly like about our fusion PCs (Zotac Zbox AD02s) is their tiny size and they site (speed wise) nicely between Atom and i3 while still delivering the graphics power of a larger PC. SSDs are a must as well for us now - 64Gb sits around £100 and makes up about 1/3 of the total cost of the machine.
  19. Yep I'd go for it - you should be able to pickup the cache module for around £100-£120 and I'll help handle a sudden increase in disk usage (that you may get with users logging in and/or accessing large files).
  20. Very few (infact its 2 out of a population of 60) of our teachers have desktops - its all laptops here. I think the key thing for us was being able to allow them to use them wherever they liked and in the very best possible way. As part of that when we switched to laptops only we also rolled out a very robust Aerohive Wireless network that way the teachers can use their machines alot more flexibly as a desktop.
  21. I built my own - Athlon II Dual Core @3.0 ghz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, ebayed a WD Velociraptor drive and got a cheap case - total cost about £300.
  22. How about 1Gb Battery backed Flash Cache for a p410?
  23. We use aerohive here as well but take it one step further - we've intergrated it with our AD so no need for keys users just login using their normal username/password. We get users to register using a paper form which parents have to sign (unless in 6th form) and once returned we add them to a WiFi users group and they are allowed to join.
  24. Sorry don't have one about SSDs (yet at least!) What if I were to put you in contact with Nigel @Kaviza here in the UK - he knows his stuff and has been keenly following SSDs on virtual desktops for a while.
  25. Would love to have your budget If your still intrested I'm posting a video on youtube in about an hour which is from our presentation yesterday about the Kaviza tech - dosn't cover SSDs though
×
×
  • Create New...