-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
Thats pretty neat - how about a scrolling news banner or something in that white space between your links and header?
-
Phew thats an intresting one! Wish I knew I'm just an innocent bystander.
-
If I wasn’t 21 and with the way of the financial world being unable to move I'd have a go at this in an instant. Purbrook Park School
-
RemoteFX backend for thin clients?
jamesfed replied to morganw's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Would love to but still in POC stage and with the £16.23p that we have in the IT budget....... -
This is ours - was born out of a Wordpress theme I made once and follows on the same design theme as our school site. Seprate one for students and staff (staff one locked down by ACLs). The news feed on the right is just a RSS from our school site. Have been thinking about putting a simple network status thingy in there (just something along the lines of Green - all good, Amber - not so good and Red - just don't bother calling IT its all broken anyway).
-
One thing to look at in your investigations is the energy cost of the TV - I know modern TVs are alot better with power than they once are but still if you look how much power you will be chewing through LED/LCD might look alot better than plasma (even if I do like saying plasma more ).
-
Check that your static IP config is still in there - I've herd that SP1 can do a few odd things to the NIC drivers.
-
RemoteFX backend for thin clients?
jamesfed replied to morganw's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I think one of the HPs that weve got in with WES7 on only comes in at £215 (with schools discount) and although WES7 might not be as simple as Linux at that price I think its quite reasonable. All the same if Microsoft can hit the £100 price point they have said they can I'm more than happy Either way we won't be looking at deployment until the Summer so could be in for some intresting turns before then -
RemoteFX backend for thin clients?
jamesfed replied to morganw's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Just confirmed! A HP RemoteFX compatible server (for testing) is on its way and should be arriving in a week or so Already have the Thin Clients from 10zig (thanks to James!) sitting on the desk which I've had a play around with using my old Desktop PC as a Remote FX server but this HP should be able to do everything that I need. Assuming all the parties agree I might see if I can do a youtube or two. -
IE9 out now - Beauty of the Web
-
Phew you've found an old thread there! I think P2V was the best way to go at the time but who knows CC4 might have moved on since then.
-
I think at the moment we are looking at OCZ Vertex 2 80Gbs (most staff don't use more than 40Gb and thats even with pesonal stuff) - wouldn't settle for anything less (having used them before) and list price is showing up at about £100 exVAT.
-
Hi all, We've been thinking about it for a while now and with Laptop Refresh coming up its time to push forwards - I've been thinking about putting 60-80Gb SSDs in our existing staff notebooks to extend their useable life. The existing machines are HP6715bs with 2Gb of RAM, 160Gb 5400rpm HDDs, AMD Turion dual cores and TPM chips (TPM is the important thing for us in using bit locker) and by all standards they run Windows 7 very well indeed. The batch of machines that we are looking at are now coming upto 3-4 years use at which point we would usaly replace them wholesale however with pending cuts I've been looking at ways to extend their useful life. Looking back in the IT fault log the most common problems we are having with these machines are either their power lead failing, the HDD giving up or the screen getting broken (in that order). The benifits that I see of SSDs (having used one in my personal machine for some time and in a limited deployment to staff machines) is longer battery life (yes I've seen the 'myth busting' posts but every time I've upgraded a PC with a SSD there has been a noteable differance), increased realiblity (no shock damage and so on) and pure speed (running Windows 7 Ent x86-64 in this case). Looking at costs across 20 machines the upgrade (with a new battery, SSD and new power cable) would come to around £140 while new machines come in at £450 (with extended warranty and no SSD) which makes up a saving of £6,200. For value added we are also going to be deploying Microsoft Direct Access at the same time. The main question I'm asking is has anyone else put SSDs in their staff machines and what your experiances are? Thanks! James
-
I think you might like the look of the Qnap boxes - QNAP Systems, Inc. - Quality Network Appliance Provider their quite easy to setup using iSCSI (which basicly runs over your network (1gb/s recommended)) which praticly shows another hard drive attached to one of your existing servers. Some of the other guys on here will probably be able to say more though!
-
RemoteFX backend for thin clients?
jamesfed replied to morganw's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Its the document that I've been waiting for - Im trying to push some trusted and well funded suppliers to get ahold of some kind of kit (mainly the graphics card) for some on site POC. -
RemoteFX backend for thin clients?
jamesfed replied to morganw's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
This maybe of intrest- http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/docs/4AA3-2927ENW.pdf HPs new Reference Architecture for RemoteFX. -
We used to image machines in 6mins using gimagex and a wim image using a very very fast USB stick
-
Anything and everything that happens in slow motion which involves a jump and pistols in F.E.A.R.
-
Wow thanks for that fix - I've always had this problem on my Win7 PC, usaly I just boot into a Virtual Box VM and do all XenCentre stuff from there
-
As with doing anything like this make sure you have a full verfified bare metal backup to restore from in the case that everything goes ** up. But as plexer said - just replace the failed drive with your new HDD, let it migrate the data from the working drive onto that (and you need to be sure its done this) then replace the working drive with a 2nd bigger drive and it'll migrate from the 1st replaced drive. Then crack into storage management and you should note that you have alot more storage to play with.
-
Currently using the windows 7 boot.wim. Is there a better way?
jamesfed replied to Sam_Brown's topic in O/S Deployment
What is your LAN speed from the server to the switches to the machines? Over a 1Gbs connection we can usaly get into WDS in 1-2mins (using Win7 boot) but over a 100Mbs connection you would expect 4mins+. -
I think it has always been more about IOPs on your drives than bandwith on your network when it comes to running VMs off a SAN (assuming thats what you are looking at).
-
Yeah I think there's quite a few problems going around with Win 7 Sp1 updates - the USB one has already been hilighted (had that problem on my home PC). This being a clean install with sp1 right from the vlsc was just weird though
-
It certinly wasn't any driver problem as I simply could not get any drivers to install - my thinking is something just got mucked up with the Win7 installation. Either way problem solved by creating a new image.
