-
Posts
2,409 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by jamesfed
-
Just come off the phone with HP support about one of our servers - the chappy at the other end knew their stuff and once I emailed over a screen shot of the problem it was instantly oh heres your fix. While the server was rebooting we had a good chat about the DL385s and how great they are and their going to call back tomorrow morning to check that everything is still ok Guess its just hit and miss as if you get a good person!
-
If they get the same kind of performance out of it as the AMD E-350 APU then they should be fantastic processors - my PC here is a Zotac AMD APU processor and it just flies along with everything and anything that I throw at it.
-
Have a chat to the Novatech guys over their live chat service - they know their stuff and should be able to let you know about the RAM. For your graphics I've got a AMD 6950 and it gets 7.9 on the Win 7 score and haven't seen it run at anything greater than 60-70% of its rated capacity while running Crysis 2. Looking at the mobo specs it can do 6Gb/s SATA so if you can get something like a OCZ Vertex 3 series for your solid state drive so you can get the very best out of the bandwith on the drive/motherboard. Also the one last question is - what kind of games do you want to run and at what detail level? All too often I have people asking me about gaming PCs only to find out they want to run games on Facebook and think they need a 6 core processor to do it well. (not that you are one of these people but it would be useful to know your requirements)
-
RemoteFX backend for thin clients?
jamesfed replied to morganw's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Finaly got round to making this - YouTube - RemoteFX Demo -
Forum access on mobile devices with apps.
jamesfed replied to CapEnd's topic in Comments and Suggestions
I think just as some others have been saying about goverment sites that less should be put into developing applications and more should be put into making decent mobile versions of the site - this way any phone with a decent web browser (be it an iPhone/Droid/Windows Phone) the site will still work well.- 10 replies
-
- forum
- mobile devices
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
[windows phone 7] Win 7 Phone Updates
jamesfed replied to Devontechie's topic in Mobile Devices & Tablets
HTC 7 Pro here and haven't had any problems with any of the updates - the Zune software will take a backup of your entire phone before doing the upgrade so even if anything does go wrong you'll still be fine. -
We've almost moved to a compleatly virtulised enviroment here on HP DL165G7s (AMD 8 core processors) with Hyper-V and Server 2008R2 Datacentre - going to be getting a HP MSA as soon as the money (magicly) appears for it so we can move our aging storage server onto Hyper-V as well. Again as people have said before make sure you get the right number of disks - a large number of smaller capacity disks (say 72Gb or 146Gb 10 or 15k) for your server OSes/Databases will go a lot better than 500Gb 7.2k drives (which are better suited to data storage).
-
KMS Help with office 10 and activation
jamesfed replied to BoostinFD's topic in Windows Server 2008 R2
Your best bet for PCs that don't contact the KMS server reguarly is to instead use your MAK keys - that way they stay activated reguardless if they have contact to your network or not. -
Forefront TMG here - works a treat (you do need your own 2k8R2 server to run it on though) and educational price is fantastic.
- 20 replies
-
Our LEA hosts SIMS (and every other school in the county) for us so I can only imagine they host multiple databases on the same server.
-
Personaly I'm holding fast on the tablet PC world until Windows 8 comes out with its surposed ARM processors and Windows Phone 7 like elements. Bought a Windows Vista tablet some time ago that I am selling now on eBay which I found more than useful in my college days all of which happened long before the iPad and Microsoft was working on something called the 'Ultra mobile PC'. So my 2c is wait (if you can) for Windows 8 to come out and get a tablet PC that can run every Windows program in the book and not only does flash but Silverilght, HTML5 and every other bit of gubbins that runs the web.
-
I'd never want to leave my TV to play media files - all Windows Media Centre here that way when in 2014 and some new format comes out and Microsoft releases an update to play it I don't have to worry about if Sony will go and release new firmware for the TV.
-
Spooks used to be bad with Windows Mobile Phones - infact on one epp a HP Windows Phone was clearly seen with the start menu icon showing.
-
Virtualization Plan Sanity Check
jamesfed replied to Irazmus's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Just a faulty NIC on our makeshift SAN causing problems with iSCSI - the data transfered over fine but on booting the newly created VHDs just fried. All working now though thanks for a new NIC and 2 days of watching backup tapes spin around in the auto loader (still coulda done without the hastle over the holiday) -
Virtualization Plan Sanity Check
jamesfed replied to Irazmus's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Rabbit at the ready (said in the best of faith) Hyper-V Server is free http://www.microsoft.com/hyper-v-server/en/us/default.aspx (its a seprate thing from Windows Server) basicly Microsoft realised VMWare and Citrix were making a killing from 'free' products and they jumped on the band wagon. Just looking through your requirements again I don't think Debin works to well on Hyper-V so my bad on mentioning it. -
Virtualization Plan Sanity Check
jamesfed replied to Irazmus's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
I'd strongly suggest you never cut corners on a Virtulisation project - there are just to many things which could go wrong when it comes to using existing (and potentialy aging) hard disks and expecting them to work harder than before (with your SIMS/File Server). I know the budget is tight and we just had the same problem here. Ultimately we cut corners on a physical to virtual conversion by way of not spending enough on the SAN (which was a repurposed Dell PowerEdge 2900) and are now feeling the pain of corrupted disks and non working VMs. Not that I want to be a doom sayer but you might be better off to wait a year for the money to get a propper SAN and a second virtual host before you start your virtual journey. On a ligter note that server sounds pretty much like our HP DL165s but with a 8 core processor, we also have a DL385 G7 which has another 8 core (this one runs our virtual desktops) and both models run a treat. Also have a look at Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 from Microsoft - its free and you get the things like Dynamic Memory which would help on your RAM requirements. -
In that case I'd be happy to take one off your hands - would you be able to post one to oxfordshire?
-
What does he have setup as a mail server?
-
I think its a pretty decent decision - infact when asking a number of the tech savvy teachers here they all said Youtube is way better - looking back in the web usage logs Teacher TV hasn't had a single visit in the past 6 months.
-
Do they come with a web browser? I know most HP thin clients come with iceweasel but I can't seem to find any mention of it in the specs. Just as a side note I would only be after the one to power our server room monitor display so do ignore me if you only want to sell the whole lot in one go.
-
Precicely why I'm dusting off my old Dell Laptop Going to get Windows 95 up and running and see if I can get Star Trek New World going As far as tablets go I'm outa them until Windows 8 comes along with an ARM processor and a 12 hour battery life.
-
Nice thought something I don't want to even consider though at the moment being only 21.
-
A used Asus R2H Tablet PC to any good home, can't find a pratical use for it at home or at work (phone/notebook can handle everything I do) so its going on ebay now- Asus R2H Tablet PC | eBay UK
-
[wanted] HP 3.5" Rack Mounted Blanking Plate (HP DL165 G7)
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Classified Adverts
That sounds about right in that case PMed you Matt. -
[wanted] HP 3.5" Rack Mounted Blanking Plate (HP DL165 G7)
jamesfed replied to jamesfed's topic in Classified Adverts
If it looks the same then I don't think it should matter - looking up that part number I get the feeling its the same part Do you have a photo of the one from the ML330?
