-
Posts
767 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by PeterW
-
Sounds dead right to me, it is a common misconception that you need a powerfull dedicated graphics card with lots of memory. A fast CPU & 2GB sounds about right. You wouldn't normally store projects on the system's main hard drive, explain that the machine is really a tool for creating projects and if they wish to store them they need to be backed up / exported to external media like DVD / Ext HDD / NAS etc
-
Due to the demand and lack of stock most resellers are milking the price, realistically a 8800GT 512MB should be £150-£170 tops, also the 256MB version is looking good as well should be about £120-£140.
-
Are the machines as they were when purchased or has anything been added (Ram etc), have they always done this or has it just started to happen?
-
Ouch surerly must have been a GTS/GTX for that money. WIll hopefully have my 8800GT in the next week or so, can't wait to retire my 6800GT.
-
DVI-D is digital only, if you have a DVI-D port it can only output to a DVI device. DVI-I outputs a digital and analogue signals hence you can only get DVI-I to VGA cables.
-
Right I'm just trying to get confirmation at the moment but it looks like you will require the DVI - DVI lead. Although the card has the connection of a DVI-I port (does DVI-D & DVI-A) and has been supplied with an adaptor it is in fact a DVI-D and would need to goto the DVI-D port on the monitor using an appropriate cable. We don't have any cables in stock at the moment but I will have a look to see if I can find one and send it to you. Apologies for the issue normally if a card is DVI-D only the connector has less pinholes and you would not be able to connect a VGA adaptor. (and should not be supplied with said adaptor). Regards
-
Ok let me go check one, are the options for clone/extend display etc greyed out in the nvidia control panel then?
-
Is this under vista or XP? Can I just confirm I'm understading correctly you cannot get a display at all from the DVI port on the VGA card be it using it as DVI or with a DVI to VGA adaptor? Regards
-
You already have 2GB were you going to add another 2GB? If so are you going to be moving to a 64 bit OS, as already mentioned you may want to hang onto the cash and put it towards new Mainboard/CPU/DDR2.
-
All Intel & AMD desktop CPU's have been 64 bit capable for well over a year although Intel have flagged behind with thier mobile offerings as the Core Duo range do not have EMT64 only the Core 2 Duo + Celeorn M500 chips do. 2GB of ram is a good option at the moment as its so cheap. Some of the integrated graphics solutions coming through at the moment are very capable if you are going with an AMD CPU then the ATI/AMD 690G chipset actually has the best performance of any onboard graphics currently, for Intel CPUs even thier own GMA 950/3000/3100 can handle Vista fine or if you wanted high performance onboad graphics (really no need if its just for workstations) the new Nvidia 7 series chipsets are looking good. I know some people like to be able to upgrade thier hardware down the line but this is becoming increasingly more difficult, Intel & AMD will both be on new processor sockets towards the end of Q4 2008 and Q1 2009 and also you will most likley see DDR3 in dominance at this time. Working on this information it might be worth planning for best case (being able to upgrade CPU/Ram etc 1-2 years down the line) and worst case to have the spec you buy last until the machines are next replaced.
-
Noticed this earlier its looking good! Now if only I could find a way to get my better half to get an 8GB N95 and swap it with my N95-1 hmmm
-
I can honestly say mine has never done this although I am very keen on making sure the firmware is upto date which has resolved alot of other bugs. There is another major firmware update out soon that adds support for the Nokia Music store and the Ngage games store. Also if you get the new 8GB model this has most of the bugs/issues from the original removed, i.e better slider, better screen, more mature firmware and bigger battery.
-
I might be wrong but I have visions of a top down racer with futuristic cars that can fire misiles and guns?
-
Was this on the Amiga? it rings a bell but I wasent really into PC gaming at that point.
-
Indeed shame they did a Playstation follow up called fade to black which wasent much cop.
-
Its the awesome another world!!!! Well worth buying for your smart phone or pc, Another World
-
That first screen is the copy protection I think, had many games with code books and wheels & some just used the manual, page 72 paragraph 2 line 3 word 5. LOL
-
I could never land the sodding plane, you could also fly aF-117A if I remember rightly. While we are on the subject of microprose one of my all time favorites is X-Com UFO Enemy Unkown (UFO Defence in the states) such a fantastic game.
-
Think I had a kinga & a queen is that right?
-
I lost more patients than I care to remember.
-
Magic Pockets was class as was Speedball 2 & Xenon megablast had fantastic sound for its time, soundtrack was by Bomb the Bass I think! Go on you know you want to Xenon 2 Download
-
I seem to remember having a side scrolling verison of this on my amiga, lots of bright colours and stuff. I have the TV plug in sega retro box that has Sensi Cannon Foddr & Mega Lo Mania on it I see they are releasing Sensible world of soccer on the Xbox 360 with original game play and minimal changes. Should be ace.
-
Check in the bios for options like SATA/HDD Mode if you have anything that gives you the choice of enhanced or compatible set to compatible also if there is an option to set to IDE or AHCI set to IDE.
-
??? Whats wrong with the ASUS ?
-
I'm afraid Quad FX was not a popular platform and as such I'm not aware of anybody else bonkers enough to have created a mainboard apart from ASUS.
