Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CommodoreS

Members
  • Posts

    394
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CommodoreS

  1. I now know the cause - but not the solution. Yes offline files had somehow been set up for three folders on the T:\ drive even though users should not be able to do this. I had set up a user called Supply for Supply staff and the schools only wants the supply staff to have access to the planning folder of the staff shared drive. Only easy way I could see of doing this without creating a gpo for one user is to set Deny permissions to the supply user on the staff share (T:\ drive) and Allow supply user access to the planning folder inside that. Supply staff have a different log on script to it maps T:\ straight to T:\Staff Share\Planning otherwise they would get an access denied error which is what is now happening. If I log on as any user (even admin) and go to \\servername\Staff Shared I get an "You do not have permission to access warning". Someone logged on as the supply user on the laptop and it has somehow screwed things up. Even as an admin user it is seeing the supply user somewhere and still denying access to the share. I can't work out how to fix this and really dont want to fully rebuild the laptop. Not sure if anyone has any ideas please?
  2. Its all being controlled by AD Group Policy. Is there a policy setting for that please, so I can double check it.
  3. I think I may have a server with a faulty NIC card, and would like to test this by installing a different NIC card. I'm getting 2012 errors in the event viewer, and reading other peoples posts seems to point towards a fault on the built in Broadcom NIC on the Dell Server. As far as I can tell the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter should be compatible with the Dell PowerEdge T110 II - although this is described as a Desktop Adapter rather than a Server one, so just wondered if anyone out there knew if this should work. Its not meant as a permanent fix - just a temp one to see if the NIC has got a fault or if it is something else.
  4. I am sharing the N:\ drive via offline files (users personal saved files) but not the T:\ drive which is a pretty big shared staff drive that I don't want users to have offline access to.
  5. I have got an odd issue which only seems to be affecting one Windows 7 Laptop. Sometimes when they access the Staff Share (T:\) on the network only 3 folders are showing. I have only seen it happen once (although have been told is happening often but random), and when I did I went to start, run and: \\server\staff Where server is the server name and staff is the name of the staff share and all folders and files appeared. I went back to the T:\ drive in explorer and pressed F5 and then everything appeared. All shares and permissions seem fine. My only thought is the dodgy old wireless they are using could be causing this issue, but only one user/laptop seems affected. The staff share is setup by using a netlogon script which contains: net use t: /delete net use t: \\server\staff I am also wondering if it is something to do with this. The reason I have done this is supply staff do not have full access to the T: drive, but only a folder inside it. The have a different netlogon script which connects to: net use t: \\server\planning And I noticed problems where this was not connecting properly unless I first sent to net use t: /delete command. If anyone has come across anything like this before, it would be useful to have some more thoughts on this.
  6. Thank you for your kind offer, but I have now found a solution which works. Thank you once again.
  7. The solution is a logical one and not ideal, but it works so it is a solution. 1. Connect an external USB HDD to the server. 2. Configure backups to backup to the External Hard Drive using the Bare Metal Method. 3. Configure a pre-backup task of: rd f:\WindowsImageBackup /s/q rd g:\WindowsImageBackup /s/q Where F: is the RDX drive letter and G: is the external HDD letter. 4. Configure a post-backup task of: XCOPY g:\WindowsImageBackup\* F:\WindowsImageBackup /s /i 4. Configure a windows server scheduled task to run FreeEject to eject the RDX backup at a time you know the copy would have finished. Free Removable Media Eject Utility Now individual files can be restored from the backups, as well as creating an extra backup on the external HDD which is useful incase someone has forgotten to put the RDX disk in.
  8. I have now found a way around this, so no need for anyone to worry about replying now.
  9. I am still looking for any ideas as to what setting is causing this, if anyone can help?
  10. Hi Bruce, I have looked into this and it is not possible to restore backups from RDX drives using that method. Windows Server 2008 Image Backup and REV / rdx drives | BackupAssist: The Windows Backup Software "However, the operating system sees these devices as “Removable drives” meaning that it will backup to these devices just like it backs up to a DVD drive – by compressing the VHD file. It turns out that compressed VHD files cannot be mounted, and therefore you cannot restore individual files and directories, or individual applications, from within the standard Windows Server Backup restore wizard. This is a limitation at the operating system level. We have not yet found a way to work around this limitation (but we’re trying)." This is why I ask what people are doing in this situation, baring in mind this is a primary school with one server and no money to buy a expensive backup solution.
  11. I am currently doing backups using BackupAssist. I have decided to choose system backup "Windows Imaging" backups using System Volumes (Bare Metal Recovery) in the event that a complete server recovery is needed. These are being backed up to RDX disks. I recently however found out that because RDX disks are being used, this method does not allow you to restore individual files, should someone delete a file. I just wondered what other people have done to get around this and what backup methods people have chosen? I am currently considering changing this to Windows Imaging backup once or twice each week and a File Backup using File Replication or Zip based backup for the other 3 or 4 days to allow individual files to be recovered. I guess this will be OK as long as the disks are changed daily.
  12. Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure its a Server GPO applying to the usertype, as Administrator users can see the Desktop tab, but Office type users cannot. I found this page: NoDispBackgroundPage: Core Services Which references the setting "Hide Desktop tab" as mentioned above, but this only applies to 2003/XP systems. Of course 2008R2 only has Vista/7+ policies and seems to be missing this XP only policy. Now the odd thing is when I added the standard "system.adm" ADM template for XP SP3 into a GPO, nothing appeared in Classic Administrative Templates for this. I guess without going through each setting individually turning it off/on and logging off and on a machine, I am not going to find out what is causing it. Only other idea I had was to create a reg edit to apply at user logon which changes the 1 to a 0 on this registry setting, although I would much rather get to the cause of it rather than doing that as a workaround fix.
  13. Thanks. Changing this is not a problem here at the moment. But say if they had two printers located at different ends of the school and you wanted users using computers at one end just to have that printer and computers at the other end just having access to the other printer. Is there a way around that situation? Using this users method you would have to give all users all printers and they would most likely default or choose the wrong one.
  14. Could it by any chance be this setting? Computer Config>Policies>Admin Templates>System>Scripts Run startup scripts asynchronously If not already set to Enabled, try changing this to Enabled.
  15. I have configured printers using Group policy using the Microsoft method: Computer Config - Preferences - Control Panel Settings - Printers. Using the settings shown in the attached Pic. The problem is that all printers are being installed as local printers and not going through the servers printer driver. This has given me two problems: The default printer driver for this photocopier stupidly defaults to double sided printing and I want single sided printing as a default. Papercut does not log print jobs (as they go directly to the printer and not through the server). Does anyone know if there is a way around this please?
  16. Its been discussed before here. See here: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2008/100566-desktop-ini-my-documents.html#post871754 for the solution I used which I am happy with. I expect FN-GM will reply to this now with some negative comment saying it will still happen if people are logged on, or don't log off properly but from experience I have found out most people do log off properly and go in these areas when people are not logged on, so not a major issue for me. I will let you make your own mind up!
  17. I am still looking for help on this, if anyone has any ideas please.
  18. I have this problem on a Windows 7 Laptop: 0x80041324 The Task Scheduler service attempted to run the task, but the task did not run due to one of the constraints in the task definition. 0x80041324 The Task Scheduler service attempted to run the task, but the task did not run due to one of the constraints in the task definition. Is there a group policy that can be changed to remove this condition so this checkbox is cleared and this will install without the power supply?
  19. Just looking into this further I now know the registry key which is causing this problem. it is: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] "NoDispBackgroundPage"=dword:00000001 Changing this to 0 fixes the problem. However I still do not know what GPO setting is adding this setting, and therefore how to stop it.
  20. techsup1983 - I have just checked this and Classic Shell was already not configured. VeryPC_Tom_M - I cant get this to load into the group policy though. I fixed two errors by changing it to: CLASS MACHINE CATEGORY "Display" KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System" POLICY !!CPL_Display_Disable #if version >= 4 SUPPORTED !!SUPPORTED_Win2k #endif EXPLAIN !!NoDispCpl_Help VALUENAME "NoDispCPL" END POLICY But am getting the attached error when I add it:
  21. Sorry techsup1983 I do not understand what you mean. The setting in Toms screenshot are not showing in the group policies.
  22. I have had a look at Epson EB-X11LMP Projector with Lamp Warranty on avpartsmaster, but can only see reference to a 3 year projector warranty, so where are people getting a 5 year projector warranty from? Also does anyone know if the bulbs/pictures fade as the bulb life gets older? One of the big problems I have found with bulb projectors is once the bulbs have passed half their life span they just get so dim, whereas the casio bulbless projectors dont seem to suffer from this phenomenon- they get slightly dimmer after the first few hundred hours of use, but still remain nice and bright. The only other thing that concerns me is that while the bulbs are about £125 now (cheapest genuine I could find using a reliable supplier - ILGS), they could go up in price after the projector becomes discontinued and becomes old. I have been looking at bulb prices for some older Mitsubishi and Epson projectors and the bulbs are £200+ each - of course its better to replace the projectors as the prisms are also starting to go, and even with new bulbs these old projectors seem to become dimmer over time. With this and the costs of deep cleaning, Also taking into consideration bulb projectors need filters to be cleaned, which costs time (and therefore money) and also time when replacing bulbs - I am just wondering if the Casio Bulbless projectors offer just a good deal, providing they remain reliable and can reach their 20,000 hour life expectancy. To summarise: Casio XJA-131 = £630 (From IDNS AV) = 20,000 hours life with little maintenance vs Epson EB-X11 = £289 + 3x 5000 Hour Lamps (20,000 total same as Casio Above) = £375 = £664 + Filter Cleaning + Time taken to Change Bulbs + Bulbs dimmer when nearing EOL + Deep Cleaning Looking at the above, I really don't think there is much in it, unless the Epsons keep going and bulb prices keep down so you can get more than 20,000 hours out of it. From previous experience Epson projectors deteriorate as they get older and bulb prices go up. I think we live in a world where things are now built to break so you buy new items to replace the old items.
  23. Thanks for your reply Tom. However I am a bit confused. I am using a Windows 2008 R2 server which a Central Store with the ADMX/ADML files from here: Download Administrative Templates (ADMX) for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 from Official Microsoft Download Center for Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 (along with ADMX/ADML files for Office 2010), which I was guessing would contain backward settings for Windows XP SP3. The only download I could find was ADM files for Windows XP SP2 at: Download Group Policy ADM Files from Official Microsoft Download Center which I messed about with, but still could not find the setting shown in your screen shot. Not sure what to try next. Have tried google'ing for Windows XP SP3 ADMX/ADML files but I can't find any.
  24. I have checked in there but still cant see any obvious settings as to what may be hiding this tab. I have attached pics showing the AD config in these areas. If anyone knows the setting that effects this please let me know.
  25. On Windows XP machines users are missing the "Desktop" tab from display properties which enables them to change wallpaper. I can't find the GPO setting which is disabling this. I have checked User Config>Admin Templates>Control Panel>Display And there only two options: Display the Display Control Panel and Hide Settings tab which are both disabled. Does anyone know what other setting might be disabling the Desktop tab from showing?
×
×
  • Create New...