Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. You would hope if they are advertising it as HD it would be at least 720p, but then some youtube videos are now in 'HD' which just means 'slightly better than the terrible standard quality'
  2. Thought this was going to be some new lyrics to the Pixies song ps - its only a mug!
  3. Approx 900 PCs, 30 Macs, 8 Windows Servers, 1 Mac Server, 36 switches, 50 odd WAPs. 1700 kids, 150ish staff. IT Staff - NM, Myself, 2 technicians, 1 classroom support, 1 primary liason. So essentially 4 people that can respond to problems
  4. Doctors in HD? My mum wont be able to contain herself
  5. My car is eligible, its of a 1994 'vintage', scraped through its MOT last weekand is worth about £400 But just LOL @ me buying a new car. LOL @ me ever having £5k+ to blow on a car or wanting to get finance. No thanks! Most Ive ever spent on one was £3k and that was in my young stupid days Bangers for me, I dont drive much, emissions arnt too bad, and I save the energy and resources required to manufacture a new car. Plus it doesnt have any stupid on board computers to bleep at me and tell me to take it for an expensive service Sorry motor industry, but Im not helping bail you out. Perhaps you shouldnt have ramped up production to such ridiculous levels leaving you with thousands of unsold cars?
  6. Thanks, tried doing the free space and no difference. Also, used GrandPerspectiv and it gives much the same result as Disk Inventory - shows there is only apparantly 38.5GB on the disk
  7. Got a few Macbooks running standalone for drama, we dont see them very often, but they have brought one up because its running out of room for their video editing. Finder reports that 12.7GB is free (111GB drive), so I assumed someone had just left a few massive movies on there. So I loaded up Disk Inventory X and ran it, and it states that only 38.6GB is being used?! Where is all this extra space? Could someone have encrypted something or are there locations that Disk Inventory cannot pick up?
  8. ^ ITV HD is ONLY available on Freesat HD, not Sky Why, I have no idea
  9. Paint the walls black and put up lots of UV lights or Get some local kids to do a graffiti mural for you
  10. No. But then I dont suppose theres much to infect on an old K800i The article is obviously alarmist, and by doing things such as not having bluetooth permanently switched on, and not opening messages from strange numbers/names you're going to be fairly safe IMO. Though Im still glad I havent got a minature computer in my pocket to worry about. Well I have, but Im glad its not very advanced
  11. ha, have asked him now. Will be interesting to see what he comes back with (or if he just makes up an excuse that his magical software isnt working now)
  12. Thanks guys, pretty much what I thought. A rough location is all I thought you could get (not even that with my home connection - it seems to think I'm up north somewhere!)
  13. On another forum (non IT) I go on, a topic arose about IP addresses. Some guy (who clearly doesnt know a huge amount about IT) reckoned he used a tool to find out users home addresses from their IP address. Unless I've really missed something, surely this is not possible? The block of IP addresses is registered to the ISP, not an individual user, and even if an ISP gives out fixed addresses, surely still there is no external way to find out who is using that, without going through the ISP (and them agreeing to provide you with data) This guy seems certain hes done it, I reckon hes not so much a lier as just misinformed - fairly sure the only address he could would be that of an ISP? If I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it (and perhaps resign if my knowledge is this far wrong!), I'd just like someone to clarify
  14. Quick update - I asked the question a month or so back and although I think they were a bit surprised at the request (not exactly sure why) they have let me have the whole summer off, plus a month before the end of term, giving me 2 months+ to travel round SE Asia and Australia In a way I would have liked longer but in another way this is a good amount of time, and Ive still got a secure job open to me when I come back, which is something I'd struggle to find if I quit. So now Ive just got to do the hard stuff like booking flights, getting jabs, and finding out where I want to go!
  15. Its odd, Ive never seen Ruckus advertised anywhere else, never heard of it, apart from the tons of happy customers on edugeek We've got Aruba, certainly pricey but it does work very well. Laptop connection problems have been virtually eliminated
  16. Finally started using all the Sharpmark labels and software over the holidays and properly labelling a building that has 3 cabs but awful labelling. Impressed with the results, looks really professional. As for colour coding - LOL...no chance here, we just have so many cabs and cables we'd have to buy thousands of the same colour cables. Even when I have tried to colour code certain cabs, thats always ruined when new points get added or things get moves around
  17. Used it again this year, not too many problems, on the server side anyway. Client side - nightmare. Used the proper upgrade from the old version still on the clients, all looked fine, until the exam started and it wouldnt run because apparantly it was the incorrect version. So a fresh install had to be done on every machine during the exam time. And the lack of any sort of client deployment or auto updates is a royal PITA
  18. Most XP SP3, with about 35 Macs (in comparison to nearly 900 PCs..lol)
  19. Mamma Mia, without a doubt
  20. I never want one, I like to be able to text using buttons As nice as the iphone etc is, they're a nightmare to type on
  21. Time has come around where money is available for infrastructure again, and while there are a few things that need to be done (eg servers out of warranty) everything is pretty much open to suggestion. Problems currently - lack of storage mostly. network speed (though this is recent, and I think down to something faulty somewhere) Users - 1700 students, 200 staff. Clients - around 900 (roughly 50/50 split between desktops and laptops) Infrastructure: - Procurve 5406ZL Core switch (this certainly is ok!) 1GB links to all servers, 1GB links to all edge switches - 2x Dual Xeon (circa 2006) generic servers, 4GB RAM, 500ish GB of storage, RAID-5, 10k SAS Disks Both of these are DC's, DNS Servers and DHCP, and one holds student profiles/data, the other for staff. The staff one is critically full. - 1x Very recent Poweredge 2950, over 1Tb of storage (RAID-5), SAS, 4GB RAM Used for shared area and application storage/deployment/hosting. Storage around half full. - 1x Dell poweredge 1950, 4GB RAM, small amount of storage Used for Sophos & printers - 1x 5yr old dual Xeon generic server, 2GB RAM, 400GBish RAID-5, SCSI disks Used for some apps, WSUS, ghost image storage. This one has to go really, its massive, out of warranty and struggling a bit - 1x Dell Powerdge SC1420 (I think) tower, Single Xeon, 2GB RAM, 2TB Storage (RAID-5), SATA Disks Connected to a LTO-3 Tape drive Used for D-D-T backups. This pretty much needs to be replaced if any other storage is increased. Aside from that we have the SIMS server and an old poweredge I use for virtualisation, but they're not really relevant to this. So, what to change? Like I said, the main issue is storage, so the obvious answer is a SAN. But I'm still not sure we're ready for that, especially as I am going to be away the entire of the summer, there really just isnt time for such a big change this year. I was thinking to get a dedicated staff storage server, and go for capacity rather than speed, eg 7k SATA drives rather then 10k or 15k SAS. But would the difference be noticable? Can a single or dual 1GB connection get near the speed of the faster drives anyway? Then as well as that, perhaps one or two, very quick, dedicated DC's, doing nothing else Do many of you have dedicated ones? Or do the DC's also handle user data storage? Then, the current staff server would replace the 5 year old generic one. Backup, not really such a problem, just a fairly powerful server with as much cheap storage I can get in it. Should I consider a LTO-3 autoloader to replace the current drive? If only for the fact it'd stop me having to remember to swap tapes...but a full backup is only 2 or 3 Network wise, I want all servers to have dual 1GB links, but thats not a big problem. Any other suggestions? Money isnt tight, but it isnt unlimited
  22. techie, did you buy the Avocent one in the end? If so how is it? I'm looking for a replacement for my problematic Belkin ones, pref want something without PS/2 being involved at all
  23. Flame?? Dont get me wrong, I wouldnt use compressed air on a powered on projector, but why the flame?? Anyway, get them to clean every keyboard in the school with a cotton bud. Or, if their boxes of cables are anything like ours, get them to untangle them all
  24. only got the first week off but no massive jobs in the second, so should be a good holiday
  25. This is sporadic, which is why it's so confusing. Basically, sometimes students are unable to get into their My Documents - they get an access denied error. Simple enough, permissions you say? Nope, they're set fine - because 99% of the time it works fine. Students have list folder permissions for the year group share, and full control over their own folder. They can get in fine via the mapped N:\ drive, so this isnt a huge problem, but as they are both the same folder, it seems very weird that one way doesnt work. I was thinking perhaps folder redirection has failed (though event viewer doesnt state this) but then surely it would then just direct to C:\? Cant give too many other details, since its so sporadic. We've just had a whole suite of kids had it happen to them, yet before today I hadnt seen it happen in weeks
×
×
  • Create New...