Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. lol yeah and the classic 'we will not pay to use facebook!!!!' Um, who is saying you would ever have to? Even if you look in the group info theres no information about where this has been proposed - because it hasnt. Yet morons still join
  2. Im not deleting mine but I am close to putting almost everyone on ignore, well all the women at least, if they do any more of the moronic 'put this in your status' things The bra colour thing, ok, as a one off. Now its 'put this in your status if you care about ' or them posting their 'fine'. FCUK OFF!
  3. That VLC tip, if it works, will save so much time. Thanks! In the past, when someone has wanted a clip, Ive ripped the DVD, converted the whole thing to an xvid file with AutoGK and then either converted to WMV and cut with Prism, or used something else to cut the avi direct. Either way, it took ages
  4. One of out ICT teachers wanted it, so I installed mysql on a VM (built just for that, not one of our actual servers) and created a username for each of the students that needed to use it, and created a db for each under that name. There was only about 10 students. Then installed sqlyog on the classroom machines, popped the connect ini script in the mandatory profile so it auto connected to the right server, and then they just logged in with their mysql usernames, and they had full permission over their own database. Obviously this is probably only useful in this case, where the teacher just wanted to teach them some basics
  5. had 2 inches perhaps here....and we're open for some reason bugger all people in and it took me 40 mins to come 2 miles and pretty much the only school in the area not just open for exams
  6. fiver for an hour?
  7. Im also not going to moan at councils too much either. We're obviously short round here but it is difficult and it is unusual to have this much snow/ice at once and all over the country (hence making ordering difficult). If they had tons of extra in storage they would probably end up having to sell it to another council anyway.
  8. It is gory, and I found it uncomfortable to watch but whether that means it should be an 18 I dont know. Film was good until the end, then it went really cheesy. Like they blatently wanted a sequel
  9. Wouldnt be very retro if it was cordless! It would then need to be a different shape - for batteries and if not a keypad then at least some buttons, plus contacts for charging. Id be surprised if you could find one
  10. Thanks for the reply When first installed, the xserve would have been on for 72 hours easily (after initial setup and updates were done anyway) When the battery hasnt been reported as failed, I have turned write cache on but of course this is off again when it has failed. Didnt really make it clear what I meant - the server is on 24/7, but the battery is continually 'failed'. Before Christmas I was doing updates and sorting out some things on it, which required reboots, hence why I say the utility comes up every time with the message. I also have occasionally restarted it in the past as this would get the battery to report as charging, as it just will not do this once it is reported as failed. All updates have been done, cant remember any firmware ones specifically but I will check. It also definately isnt the 3 month conditioning. From what you've said then I think it probably is a problem with the battery so I will contact Apple I guess! Thanks Edit: Ive attached a screenshot
  11. Message on our website said the site had been cleared...not sure which part because theres still massive amounts of snow, as there is all around here. Its hardly melted at all Easy enough getting in though, if a bit slow
  12. Yeah you two seem to know an awful lot..
  13. Exactly. I've got no shame in looking up things I dont know, have done it at times with members of staff looking over my shoulder (usually how to do something in office that I dont know) and normally find the answer in 30 seconds. They dont mind at all, hopefully it'll prompt them to do the same next time
  14. MKV's usually have either AC3 or DTS, sometimes (ideally) both I have the original WDTV and it doesnt support DTS decoding, but it does of course output it if you have an AV receiver that can decode it. It does decodes AC3 The WDTV Live decodes both. I would imagine the TV is similar to my WDTV, and the ones you arnt getting sound from have a DTS audio track There is an application called Popcorn MKV Converter or something which will downsample a DTS track to AC3 and let you keep both in the MKV file so it will play on anything. Only takes half hour or so per movie
  15. Only had out new xserve a few months, but already, every time its booted up, I get a prompt saying 'RAID utility requires your attention' where I receive the message that the battery has failed and write cache is disabled. Sometimes it will be charging at this point, at other times it will just be red and disabled. I read somewhere on the net that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery has helped some people, which I did just before christmas and amazingly seemed to have worked for a few days. But back in today and its not working again I assume its not a critical problem, more just degradation of performance, however I would like it get it sorted. Is is a spare Apple would send out under warranty or charged as a comsumable? And assuming I do have to buy one, do they sell them?
  16. Ive now got a PS3 and am strangely addicted to MW2 (not usually my type of game) Still pretty crap at the minute but its good fun gregtheledge if anyone wants to add me
  17. Not snowing till later here, first day of term tomorrow. Extra day off? who knows
  18. If true it is possibly the best story ever
  19. They dont, instead they mount a user folder on the mac server, thats just a decision we took because we didnt have enough space on our windows file server for the kids to be saving huge photoshops and cubase projects. So they have a home folder on both servers. Most people though will just map the windows home drive, and it does work fine
  20. Ridiculous round here, people were taking hours to get home yesterday, so glad I only live 5 mins from work Still loads of snow, took so many people by surprise because I dont think much was forecast at all round here
  21. Do they though? Assuming the equipment is really old crap, CRT's, battered machines that have no resale value in itself, do they make much for recycling? £25 doesnt seem bad to me for someone to take a load of stuff away (though obviously free is better)
  22. Ive managed to get ill just in time for christmas too. It literally is the only time ive been ill the entire year, so its pretty bad timing. Looks like Im just about going to be better for the big day though. Today I mostly feel crap because of a hangover rather than illness As above, get yourself home if you feel that bad
  23. I didnt even like Kasabian before but Ill admit Underdog and the album in general is really good. I cant select one track either, all I can do is list the albums I enjoyed Bombay Bicycle Club Emmy The Great - First Love Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Its Blitz Mos Def - The Ecstatic Artic Monkeys was surprisingly good as well
  24. I love it, mouse is the only iffy looking part
  25. I cant understand why any manufacturer would think its a sensible idea to require you to remove the wheel to change a bulb!!
×
×
  • Create New...