Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Yes, because the method they use to guage listeners is very accurate isnt it? Apart from the website stream which can easily count them, all other listeners are estimated (I assume) from the same archaic method used to guage TV ratings, where a sample of people have to record what they listen to/watch. So the numbers could be fairly accurate or they could be miles out. Certainly cant just assume half the people joining the group arnt listeners. Out of my whole friends list, only one other person has joined besides me, and I know she listens to it Also if we're going to talk numbers, BBC Cymru has around 150,000 listeners I believe yet costs more than 6Music. No-one is saying that should be cut and nor should they. The BBC is a public service broadcaster and is there to provide to the whole population, in some areas this might be a minority. It would be a different story if 6Music costs were spiralling out of control, but they arnt, the annual budget is the wages of a few BBC 'stars'. There does have to be a limit, but I'd hardly say 700,000 people was insignificant at all
  2. It'll probably be on again tonight, might be easier to just record a bit of it? Only thing that keeps popping into my head is Slow Club - thats a guy and a girl, and definately quite mellow
  3. Agreed, but it does make it harder on ebay where the lazy thieves seem to sell. The main thing is, its better than nothing. Its not going to stop it being stolen and it doesnt make in unsaleable, it just makes it a bit harder. Personally I cant see too many thieves having the balls to try and sell what is obviously stolen school equipment in a pub, because a) the morality of some people would stop them buying it (as opposed to it being from a business) and b) theres a lot more local people (hundreds of staff and students) that knows what that equipment looks like making it more risky. But Im sure it does still happen
  4. Because I dont want to listen to a PC in the mornings! Ive got an old DAB alarm clock so 6Music is perfect I do use last.fm a lot but I do like listening to presenters at times (who are often quite funny on 6Music, eg Jon Richardson who is sadly leaving anyway) Also for work, last.fm et al is blocked, while iplayer isnt
  5. We use Selectamark and Smartwater. Im dubious about how effective Smartwater is but the Selectamark marking really is virtually indestructable - there is nothing that gets that stuff off apart from heavily sanding the surface down. Not going to guarantee you ever see the equipment again but it does make it harder to be sold on (of course make sure the marking isnt on some part that can be easily replaced) It does make me sad ruining the look of shiny new MacBooks with that stuff though but its for the best
  6. Anyway, 6Music must stay. It costs a pittance compared to other BBC stations and fulfills a niche that critically, no commercial offering can replicate. Its the only place to hear a genuinely eclectic variety of music, ok they have a playlist like every other station but DJ's are allowed to play a lot more of whatever the hell they want than R1 and commercial competitors. And that makes it brilliant for anyone who likes to discover new and old music. Nothing against R2 but it just doesnt cut it, its clearly aimed at a slightly older listener (and R1 at a slightly younger one) and unless it was changed substantially (which would understandably p*** off its own loyal listeners) it could never hope to be anything like 6music
  7. Agreed Disagreed
  8. Spent last night playing MW2 on my slim
  9. I like blue...gives the server room a nice glow. Blue = calm, orange/red = PANIC Wouldnt want it on a desktop PC though...remember years ago I bought all the lights, neon bubble tubes etc, and that was considered cool then
  10. Dont remind me
  11. Ive got a slim and played a quick game of burnout last night, noticed it wouldnt log into PSN but wasnt a big deal at the time as I was playing offline Oh well, no MW2 for a few days then
  12. No chance of forgetting about it with my welsh mum forcing me to wish her happy St Davids Day this morning Im not even bloody welsh!
  13. Thought that might be the case. Well teachers do already rip cd's for their own use (discouraged, but hard to stop when the macs need itunes) but possibly not worth totally flouting the law by sharing it..
  14. Probably should have read this better - thought it said it minimizes the window, not closes it. Did it and lost a Dell server configuration I'd been doing
  15. Ah, thats makes sense thanks
  16. I remember them...my dad still has his in the loft, was fascinating listening to all his recordings of 60's radio. Wouldnt be surprised if they've degraded a lot now though For those who used to edit it, I understand it was cut, but how on earth did you stick it back together? So it still played?
  17. Clerks is my favourite by a mile, Chasing Amy probably second Clerks 2 wasnt awful, but I wouldnt rush to watch it again Dogma I havent watched in years (though I remember it being decent)
  18. Theres plenty you can show them without being too specific about your networks security or anything, go for it, its good that they're interested. Like theres nothing wrong with showing them how a GPO works, or how you make account changes or even a tour of the network cabinet, but start telling them about how deal with permissions and thats possibly going a bit far
  19. Looks like he hasnt written it which is a shame but I imagine it'll still be well worth watching
  20. When I was younger a mates dad put a dartboard up for him in their conservatory. Seriously
  21. Cool, well as soon as the backup has finished I'll do a firmware update
  22. Is there going to be much of a cost advantage to you building one? Considering you wont have a support contract, nor the luxury of a proper rackmount server chassis with hot swap drives (I assume, you could have bought one for all I know)
  23. lol...finally plucked up the courage to use the 'restore' option and instead of taking hours like I thought, in 3 seconds it had brought the drives online and now the server boots fine! Currently backing up the ghost images since there is the chance that something is still faulty
  24. Ive done it plenty of times, good way to avoid downtime. Managed to rearrange leads when I bought a new UPS while only turning 2 out of 10 servers off with this method. I've got 3 main UPS's, and all servers have both PSU's connected to different ones
  25. Tried running some utils from UBCD but none seemed to recognise any of the drives, I assume because of the RAID card (and they're probably desktop level tools)
×
×
  • Create New...