Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

sidewinder

Members
  • Posts

    3,170
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by sidewinder

  1. Sounds like an amazing idea, good luck. It will probably be a bit of a nightmare logistically, and bear in mind the cost of various visas will soon add up (though I imagine you have sufficiant funds available if you've got thousands of miles of petrol money!)
  2. Agreed, it is utterly confusing. I'm trying to compare various switches, but they seem to want you to pore over a datasheet for every model just to see it's specifications. What is the difference between A and E series? Is it simply that A are ex-3Com and E are HP? Anyway, thanks for the help everyone. Looking at both HP and Netgear options
  3. 1) Aside from having drivers available, as long as it is half height it should be fine 2) Same as Synack, I dont think so. However I'm running 1 server 2008R2, 2x 2003 and a smoothwall VM on there and it doesnt feel sluggish (granted they arnt doing much yet) 3) There isnt one. I worded it badly. I meant that after cashback the box itself is about £130. 4GB of RAM is about £40 (not ECC though so you have to remove the 1GB that comes with it) so £170 total
  4. Thanks guys, those give me something to work with. Wasn't initially after colour laser, but they seem to be barely any more than mono ones!
  5. Current situation: IT suite has main switches, 2x3Com 4500G's. All PC cabling comes to this cabinet. Servers are in another location, with copper running from there (50m away) to the switches. Not ideal - they could do with their own switch. I'm going to have fibre put in between the 2 areas, which is great as the switches have 4 SFP ports each that I can put a few fibre modules in. But with the servers, if I bought another one of those switches for the core, it doesn't seem enough in terms of fibre capacity. Only 4 1Gb fibres shared between 2 (soon to be 3) switches. Of course I could buy more switches but I've always preferred my core switch to be a single unit. Had a Procurve 5406zl in my last job, which was a great piece of kit, but that was the core switch for a 900+ machine network. Here there are less than 100 PC's. So it seems overkill, even allowing for future expansion. Is there anything in the middle? A decent L3 switch with more than 4 SFP ports?
  6. HP Microserver would be perfect for you, cashback offer seems to have been extended yet again, so £130 (make it £170 if you want to chuck 4GB RAM in it) after cashback for a box that is great for Hyper-V/VMware HP ProLiant MicroServer Athlon II Neo N36L 1.3GHz 1GB.. | Ebuyer.com
  7. Work bag is quite small, currently contains: - notepad - 120GB external HD - memory stick - stamps - hair gel (for emergencies) - ipod - tobacco - bottle of water - chewing gum
  8. My girlfriend's dad went away for a few months and the one thing he asked me to do was to find him a new graphics card for his PC...which I still havent done and he's back in a few weeks... Don't do any PC gaming myself so I'm well out of the loop. He doesn't want to spend more than about £50, and he mainly plays WoW, some other games but not usually anything too taxing. I'd have to take a look at his PC to see exactly what he currently has, but it's decent, Quad Core Xeon, 3GB RAM, beefy PSU. He had a really expensive card before which completely died, hence why I think he's reluctant to spend too much
  9. There are loads available but reviews are virtually non existant for any of them. Don't really want to buy one blind Prefer Canon, HP or Brother but will consider any brand. And it has to have a fax Anyone purchased something similar recently?
  10. Great...just been called for a meeting at 11...looks like I'll miss out Not that I really need one mind, just looks a bargain
  11. They are amazing. The 3rd from last one is absolutely stunning
  12. I have: Cambridge A1 MkIII Amp NAD C521 CD Player Gale Silver Monitor speakers The amp and speakers were free from my old job as they were inexplicably getting rid to replace with a cheap and nasty wall mounted amp and Nuvo speakers, and the CD player was a present To be honest I barely use it all, I dont even have it at my flat at the minute! But it does sound good
  13. Well dont keep us in suspense, did you ever manage to fill it?
  14. The school is looking to buy a lightweight and small projector to take on trips - the current one (Toshiba TDP-S8) is apparantly too bulky. It will primarily be showing films from a laptop for children to watch when away, and the occasional presentation. I did consider the pocket sized projectors but I don't think the resolution would be high enough, so probably something bigger than those, but as portable as possible would be good. Any recommendations?
  15. I do Might buy one actually
  16. Is it easy to block students searching with medium or no safesearch? Never really looked into it as my previous place had all image sites blocked totally
  17. Really not a fan of anything apart from functional names unless its something really witty. Sci-Fi names are such a geek stereotype!
  18. I meant similar to LCD screens in that a certain amount of dead pixels is considered acceptable - I've never seen them on a projector before so didnt realise Attached an image that shows it fairly well, also some of them flicker a bit
  19. Oh so it is similar to actual LCD screens then? It is a lot, there is a scattering of them over one side of the board - think it has got progressively worse
  20. Oh dear. I'll have to find out how old the projector is, it doesnt look that old but I guess it could be. Would it be covered by the warranty if it is still in it?
  21. Had a problem with a projector for months, ever since I started here, the image from the PC has a constant flicker. Tried running a new cable, a new VGA splitter, tried a new PC, and none worked. I knew it wasnt the projector because connecting it to my laptop worked fine. So after reading a random thread on here the other day about ground loops causing interference, I tried plugging the projector in to the same wall point as the other equipment is plugged into - and voila the flickering is gone! I also tried with other power sockets round the room but they seem to induce flicker too, only the one with the PC/splitter connected to it works. So what do I do? I could run a load of extension leads and plug the projector in by the PC rather than on the ceiling. But that would look a bit messy. Or is there something an electrician can do? We have a regular one, who I assume fitted the sockets in the first place, what would I need to ask him for?
  22. Thanks, I'll get a picture later to show you what I mean
  23. 30 miles door to door, around 1hr 20 most mornings, and between 1 or 2 hours depending on when I leave, it varies wildly. Very different to my previous 2 mile, 5 minute commute! Thankfully I should be moving closer in July
  24. In that it doesn't seem to offer any advantages over having a Vanilla system. Apart from an AD web interface which makes it easier to add users and deploy printers for non technical users, I dont see what it does at all.
×
×
  • Create New...