Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've been testing both of these out in classrooms, one using Impero and the other NSS. I like both and don't really have a preference although staff are leaning towards NSS quite heavily, especially those who were using Impero then got a shot of NSS for an afternoon.

 

Cost wise Impero is far cheaper (25% or so), however knowing our HT we'll either get all or nothing so I'm not really taking this into account.

 

Any views on this?

Posted
If you can stretch a little further and get NetSupport Manager it is well worth it (the School component is included). Otherwise, NSS is my vote.
Posted
It depends what your priorities are. If doing demonstrations and remote control is more important then probably NSS is better. Impero is better for blocking dodgy content and logging trangressions. You will also need a server with spare capacity for it.
Posted

That's the problem with Impero really, we already do a lot of that through other servers software which has already been purchased and been in use for 1 year + It's very hard to justify Impero even though it's cheaper as it has the potential to interfere with other systems.

 

Ric_ I'll have a look at NSM I must admit that I think NSS does everything we really need though!

Posted

@Halfmad: In addition to all the demonstation stuff, there are goodies for you to use ;) Such as:

* Hardware/software inventory

* More sensible (i.e. not dumbed down) interface for managing machines

* Ability to script bits and bobs using NSM scripting

* File deployment and management

* ... and more

 

Your best bet is to try the demo. If you speak to NetSupport and tell them that you are trying to decide which of the two to purchase they will let you know exactly what the differences are and you may be able to talk a trial out of them for your whole site (rather than the usual 30-client trial).

Posted
@Halfmad: In addition to all the demonstation stuff, there are goodies for you to use ;) Such as:

* Hardware/software inventory

* More sensible (i.e. not dumbed down) interface for managing machines

* Ability to script bits and bobs using NSM scripting

* File deployment and management

* ... and more

 

Your best bet is to try the demo. If you speak to NetSupport and tell them that you are trying to decide which of the two to purchase they will let you know exactly what the differences are and you may be able to talk a trial out of them for your whole site (rather than the usual 30-client trial).

 

Hardware/software - done by centennial (council policy).

 

The rest to be honest wouldn't be enough to justify it even if it was just a few hundred quid sadly. There's very little that I can't do with Winstall LE, scripts and policies :)

Posted
@HalfMad: Check out http://www.netsupportmanager.com/features.asp for the features... I didn't explain them very well... for instance the scripting is for control of NetSupport (so power management, etc.) and the file distribution can be used in a quick adhoc fashion. The price difference is minimal too (a couple of pounds per client IIRC).
Posted
NSM is not the market leader for nothing. If you can stretch to it get NetSupport DNA (I have it) and you will never need any other admin or logging tool again.
Posted

We are an Impero school - and at the rate it is being developed I wouldn't be surprised if it caught up with the features that NSM offers.

 

Although I like the software, I will warn any prospective schools that Impero is, for some reason, not VAT registered yet - meaning we paid a little more than we were expecting. Of course, that may have changed by now.

Posted

Are you able to lock out some of the more advanced features on NSM? for example logging, deployment of software etc?

 

problem is there aren't ANY member of staff I'd trust to use those safely.. more aren't that good at even logging out of a PC for security reasons nevermind getting them to be careful..

Posted
Net Support, and as for the extended trial, when we were evaluating we arranged with them for a 40 machine trial for 40 days, as the way the install works they can make the keys expire on a set date etc so it all works fine and is possible.
Posted

Well just looking at impero for a reseller who is thinking of becoming impero reseller and we nss (in disguise of tutor 3).

 

So will give you a run down of what I think after weekend.

 

Russ

Posted

We are an Impero school, I can't fault it for what it does and the guys at Impero are forever releasing updates and more content (at no extra cost). I'd definately stick with Impero, as far as i know they have improved technical support so any problems will be patched asap.

I've always been happy with the features of Impero and always enjoying seeing new things to play with when we get an update.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...