meastaugh1 Posted March 23, 2007 Posted March 23, 2007 Hi, I understand that you can install the smart board software across a site, as long as you don't use it with any other manufacturer's whiteboard. Do Smart sell licenses to allow us to use their software with other manufacturer's boards? thanks
john Posted March 23, 2007 Posted March 23, 2007 That is one thing that would be useful to know, but I was told by a IWB course tutor that so long as you own a smart product they don't really care too much if you put it on a competitors product. We have some dual softwared machines because the machiens are multi user and some only have smart in there rooms and prepare work in smart rather than active-s, it tends to be smart used on prom. boards rather than the other way as staff prefer the smart way of working
SimpleSi Posted March 23, 2007 Posted March 23, 2007 2nd posting - 1st lost somewhere Theoretically yes but....... Steljes - the Smartboard distributor in this country will let you put SMART notebook on other whiteboard connected machines for the very reasonable price of £300/board Oh - and thats only if you satisfy their criteria which I believe involves dedicating yourself to see the light and replace all you existing boards with SMART Boards in the near future So in practice.... NO :!: regards Simon
localzuk Posted March 23, 2007 Posted March 23, 2007 Hmm... I didn't realise there was this restriction. Good job we are replacing our remaining 2 cambridge boards next year with smart boards - cambridge boards are a nightmare by the way!!
maniac Posted March 25, 2007 Posted March 25, 2007 cambridge boards are a nightmare by the way!! I'll second that, we must have about 20 of these in our school and they are a nitemare. Replacement pens are also a joke at about £80 each, and really difficult to order as well! Unfortunitely they won't be changed for a while, as we still have a large quantity of rooms with no IWB so they'll all get new ones before we can even think about replacing existing boards Mike
TekkyMatt Posted March 27, 2007 Posted March 27, 2007 I recently emailed Smart Software and they assured me that I could use the SmartBoard software on any machine I liked as long as I dont connect it up to a competitor product. The only problem is the annoying messages that appear because it is always looking for a board when installed on just a machine. I haven't figured out how to shut it off either. Kindest Regards to you all
western Posted March 27, 2007 Posted March 27, 2007 I recently emailed Smart Software and they assured me that I could use the SmartBoard software on any machine I liked as long as I dont connect it up to a competitor product. The only problem is the annoying messages that appear because it is always looking for a board when installed on just a machine. I haven't figured out how to shut it off either. Kindest Regards to you all take the control panel out of startup also if you buy for example a smart product like the airliner slate then the smart software detects a smart device and it all works swimmingly on any board.
seanmh Posted April 6, 2007 Posted April 6, 2007 I recently emailed Smart Software and they assured me that I could use the SmartBoard software on any machine I liked as long as I dont connect it up to a competitor product. The only problem is the annoying messages that appear because it is always looking for a board when installed on just a machine. I haven't figured out how to shut it off either. Kindest Regards to you all Peform a custom install of the smartboard software instead of default install and just install the Smart Notebook software and not the smart tools, which are only really useful if you have a smartboard connected anyway.
SMARTuser Posted May 7, 2007 Posted May 7, 2007 In order for you to use SMART Board software on a competitive product you require a SMART Board software stand-alone license (aka competitive upgrade license). This is available from Steljes in the UK. It will allow you to use SMART Board software with all it's features and functionality on a competitive product. If you are looking for something more cost effective way to use Notebook files try Notebook interactive viewer. It is a free download (http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Support/Downloads/default.htm) and anyone with any hardware can use it. It will allow you to open pre-created Notebook files and view and interact with them. However, you can not save your changes in this application, it is only an interactive viewer, not a full version of the software.
SimpleSi Posted May 7, 2007 Posted May 7, 2007 This is available from Steljes in the UK. Well, as I said, in the past this was only available at a large cost and only if certain criteria were met, which if memory serves correctly, were not explicity stated and purely at Steljes discretion Not the best business deal in the universe And I can't find it at all on the current web site regards Simon
_Bat_ Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 I recently emailed Smart Software and they assured me that I could use the SmartBoard software on any machine I liked as long as I dont connect it up to a competitor product. The only problem is the annoying messages that appear because it is always looking for a board when installed on just a machine. I haven't figured out how to shut it off either. Kindest Regards to you all Peform a custom install of the smartboard software instead of default install and just install the Smart Notebook software and not the smart tools, which are only really useful if you have a smartboard connected anyway. I suspect he meant (though I may be wrong, it's just the situation in our case) that the smartboard software is installed on a computer that is SOMETIMES connected to a smartboard, but not at other times. Our teacher laptops are in this situation. The message is a PITA... the laptops are slow enough anyway without a whole bunch of spashscreens and popup messages coming up at logon (as is the case with a number of laptops) and it's a pointless message anyway cos there are many other ways of telling that the machine hasn't detected a smartboard, the most noteable one is that any smartboard connected won't have interactivity. I guess it's one of these annoyances caused by software companies not thinking their products through properly.
russdev Posted May 8, 2007 Posted May 8, 2007 In order for you to use SMART Board software on a competitive product you require a SMART Board software stand-alone license (aka competitive upgrade license). This is available from Steljes in the UK. It will allow you to use SMART Board software with all it's features and functionality on a competitive product. If you are looking for something more cost effective way to use Notebook files try Notebook interactive viewer. It is a free download (http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Support/Downloads/default.htm) and anyone with any hardware can use it. It will allow you to open pre-created Notebook files and view and interact with them. However, you can not save your changes in this application, it is only an interactive viewer, not a full version of the software. Hi Welcome to the board can we ask being that you work for Smart can you just add to your signature so it is clear to other users. We don't mind suppliers on the board as long as you don't try and sell us stuff. But we do ask members who work for suppliers are upfront about it. A simple sig saying your name and position and company is all that is needed. Regards Russell Dyas EduGeek.net Admin
tamborine Posted June 8, 2007 Posted June 8, 2007 In order for you to use SMART Board software on a competitive product you require a SMART Board software stand-alone license (aka competitive upgrade license). This is available from Steljes in the UK. It will allow you to use SMART Board software with all it's features and functionality on a competitive product. Can you state the cost of such a license in the US? Can you provide a URL where the information is available? Thanks very much.
Paul_Simmons Posted June 11, 2007 Posted June 11, 2007 http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/Support/Downloads/default.htm
SMARTuser Posted June 11, 2007 Posted June 11, 2007 The best thing to do to get information in North America is to contact the SMART software sales group. Phone 1.866.284.2769 or +1.403.245.0333 E-mail [email protected] Or contact your authorized SMART reseller.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now