Edu-IT Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Laptop is connected by wireless to a working router however there is no internet connectivity on the Windows 7 laptop. Tried a system restore, tried rolling back drivers, verified IP configuration and such. Nothing. Any ideas? This has been the first thing that has really wound me up in a while.
IanT Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 can you ping the router, ping google.co.uk, no proxy settings on?
rob_coles Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 I had the same issue with an asus laptop/mb using win7 drivers. I downgraded the drivers to vista ones worked first time
mattx Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 I get this all the time on my Windows7 box - on boot up I have to disable the nic and then re-enable - made a script for it in the end - can't be bothered to find the proper fix. [ Can't be bothered in regards to anything IT related at all lately ]
Michael Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 If you plug it in via Ethernet does it work? If yes, it would point to a wireless driver issue. I remember someone posted on here not long ago with a Windows 7 issue on 64bit. Updating the wireless drivers did resolve the problem. It's nice to know OEMs test things isn't it?
Mr.Ben Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 Is it a telco provided router - I've got a sky one and it's naff and does a few different things including this. The lights are on, but no ones at home......
Edu-IT Posted January 25, 2010 Author Posted January 25, 2010 No it's my own Linksys router. Tried disabling the network card and enable it again, and also the connection. No resolution. Will try updating the driver tomorrow when I have more patience. Haven't tried ethernet connection. Will do that also tomorrow.
mattx Posted January 25, 2010 Posted January 25, 2010 No it's my own Linksys router. Tried disabling the network card and enable it again, and also the connection. No resolution. Will try updating the driver tomorrow when I have more patience. Haven't tried ethernet connection. Will do that also tomorrow. I'm still using a Linksys - WRT54GS on Firmware Version: v1.52.2 [ If its of any use ] Not sure if you are using a similar Linksys - when I say disabling the network card, I meant the connection not the actual card - [ if there is any difference I don't know ]
Edu-IT Posted January 26, 2010 Author Posted January 26, 2010 Yes. Bonus points for anyone who can guess the fix.
SYNACK Posted January 26, 2010 Posted January 26, 2010 Its usually to do with powersaving modes, switch these off both in windows and in the devices power managment tab then see how it goes.
MatthewL Posted January 26, 2010 Posted January 26, 2010 I will try turning off the power saving mode as I have the same problem, its a nighmare, the only thing I have noticed is that it creates an unknown network so I have to disable and re-enable the NIC and its fine. Every boot up pretty much. Thanks for that anyway.
Edu-IT Posted January 26, 2010 Author Posted January 26, 2010 I still think wireless driver update If you'd have said switch off the router then this hammer damaged Windows 7 laptop would have been yours. Odd that all the other machines here worked fine at the same time that this one was testing my patience.
MatthewL Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 It didn't work after changing the power management settings. Not sure what to try now.
mac_shinobi Posted January 27, 2010 Posted January 27, 2010 I get this all the time on my Windows7 box - on boot up I have to disable the nic and then re-enable - made a script for it in the end - can't be bothered to find the proper fix. [ Can't be bothered in regards to anything IT related at all lately ] "Sarcastically says, that's why I got an apple mac" lol I know that feeling. Back to the windows 7 issue - if you go into safe mode, un install the nic, install the nic with the latest drivers and reboot is that better ? If not then am guessing you will have to find the commands to reset winsock / tcp / ip etc - am guessing it will be similiar to windows xp but am not 100% sure Also maybe reset IE completely and try a different web browser ie firefox
SYNACK Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 Just a follow up on this, I had a very simmilar fault with an RC1 7 box that I had not yet reinstalled. It would take several enable/disables of the card and several disconnect/connects to actually pick up the network propperly. It would just sit at Local Access Only. I tried assing a different Wireless NIC, power settings, two wireless NICs at the same time none of which really helped. It turned out to be an issue with the network identification subsystem that had somehow got a little messed up. To fix this I disabled the following services: Network Location Awareness Network List Service Then went into device manager and uninstalled the WLAN devices, leaving the drivers. I then rebooted the computer which picked up the WLAN adapter again then set both services back to automatic. Once this was done I reconnected to the wireless network (reproviding details as these are also erased). This appeared to wipe the damaged NLA (Network Location Awareness) data, it connected up perfectly and has since. Not sure if this little issue made it into the full release but it could be useful for others to try if simmilar issues develop.
t_h Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 "Sarcastically says, that's why I got an apple mac" lol My experience with Macs and wireless has been the complete opposite of "just works". I bought the first generation Core Duo iMac which turned out to have a terrible driver problem that was quite widespread at the time and crippled peoples connection speeds. Luckily a software update from Apple a few weeks later fixed it. Since then I've had a white MacBook and the new MacBook Pro and both have thrown an occasional (and more annoyingly, unexplained) hissy fit with their wireless connections. I've seen the same issue with friends MacBooks as well. I must forgive them though as I keep buying the things!
mac_shinobi Posted February 19, 2010 Posted February 19, 2010 My experience with Macs and wireless has been the complete opposite of "just works". I bought the first generation Core Duo iMac which turned out to have a terrible driver problem that was quite widespread at the time and crippled peoples connection speeds. Luckily a software update from Apple a few weeks later fixed it. Since then I've had a white MacBook and the new MacBook Pro and both have thrown an occasional (and more annoyingly, unexplained) hissy fit with their wireless connections. I've seen the same issue with friends MacBooks as well. I must forgive them though as I keep buying the things! So far I have only had a g4 power book and the 2008 mac pro and as of yet no problems what so ever with wireless, wired or otherwise - must be lucky so far
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now