Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted
How do I find out how long a machine has been running for, please? I think there should be a way/service/application to do this - any suggestions?
Posted
If its on the network - you could see what the uptime is by the time it has been connected. Via the status option on the network icon near the task bar or via Control Panel.
  • Thanks 1
Posted
If its on the network - you could see what the uptime is by the time it has been connected. Via the status option on the network icon near the task bar or via Control Panel.

 

This is what i do...

Posted
Thanks all, will investigate the .exe and srv options. I hadn't realised that the network icon had such information. That;s a quick and easy solution. Many thanks.
Posted (edited)

It is, as I suspected, a machine has been left running over the half term.

 

So my next question is - how can I tell if anyone has logged in or accessed any files? This is not a server operating system but is running SIMS.

Edited by leco
Posted

Umm there is an easier way that will give you a precise time with built in functions and it can even be run against a computer remotely:

 

Hey, Scripting Guy! How Can I Determine the Uptime for a Server?

 

strComputer = "."Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")Set colOperatingSystems = objWMIService.ExecQuery _ ("Select * From Win32_PerfFormattedData_PerfOS_System") For Each objOS in colOperatingSystems intSystemUptime = Int(objOS.SystemUpTime / 60) Wscript.Echo intSystemUptime & " minutes"Next

 

WMI FTW! :D

Posted
It is, as I suspected, a machine has been left running over the half term.

 

So my next question is - how can I tell if anyone has logged in or accessed any files? This is not a server operating system but is running SIMS.

 

Best bet would probably be the eventlog of the computer for this to look for profile load/unload events and other stuff that can signal actual use.

Posted
Umm there is an easier way that will give you a precise time with built in functions and it can even be run against a computer remotely:

 

Hey, Scripting Guy! How Can I Determine the Uptime for a Server?

Yes I saw that however, it seemed like a chore as I only wanted to determine if this particular machine had been on since before the hols.

 

WMI FTW! :D

 

Sorry not very well up on letter speak - but I'm sure you will be right:cool:

Posted
On Windows CLI:

 

net statistics server

or

 net stats srv

 

Does that give stats for the specific computer? I'm guessing I have to be logged on at the computer.

Posted
So my next question is - how can I tell if anyone has logged in or accessed any files? This is not a server operating system but is running SIMS.

 

If the machine is still on, from the server navigate to Start > Run, type MMC and press enter. File > Add/Remove Snap-in > Add > Computer Management > Add > Finish > Close > OK.

 

You can then look at the Event Viewer and Shared Folders. Shared Folders is what you're more after, as you can see who has any files open.

Posted
Does that give stats for the specific computer? I'm guessing I have to be logged on at the computer.

 

yes, you have to be logged in, but you don't have to be sitting at it.

 

on *nix just ssh username@computername

 

on windows telnet username@computername

 

you may need to turn telnet on with windows, you can also do this remotely by remote management.

 

alternately use rdp/etc to log in and run the shell

  • Thanks 1
Posted

What about using BgInfo to display details on the desktop? I've played with this in school, was used more at one of my last places of work.

 

It can load when the user logs in and shows details you want it too.

  • Thanks 2
Posted
If the machine is still on, from the server navigate to Start > Run, type MMC and press enter. File > Add/Remove Snap-in > Add > Computer Management > Add > Finish > Close > OK.

 

You can then look at the Event Viewer and Shared Folders. Shared Folders is what you're more after, as you can see who has any files open.

 

Thanks, I have looked at Shared Folders, which shows no open files currently. The computer has been on constantly for a fortnight and I haven't been informed that work was to be carried out in the holidays. What I was after was - had the machine been left on for a purpose, was someone in last week during the holidays, or had a shutdown been forgotten at the end of the Friday.

 

Will wait until tomorrow and ask in the office. Thanks for the help everyone.

Posted
NP. AFAICT with TLAs, YMMV but OTOH INED somebody explains them without saying "RTFM n00b". :getmecoat:

 

Now you're just ETM

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...