Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

 

Has anyone ever come across this? I have a problem here site whereby whenever a link to a PDF is clicked, it tries loading the PDF in the browser, but IE7 just crashes out and says "Internet explorer has stopped working and needs to close" etc. If I click the link again, it loads fine. :confused:

 

So I altered the MSI transform to NOT enable viewing PDF's in web browser. The same happens again, but the second time it works and adobe reader opens as normal

 

Is anyone else having this issue with IE7 and acrobat reader 9?

 

**EDIT** forgot to say it works fine if your an admin user.

Posted
Hi all,

 

Has anyone ever come across this? I have a problem here site whereby whenever a link to a PDF is clicked, it tries loading the PDF in the browser, but IE7 just crashes out and says "Internet explorer has stopped working and needs to close" etc. If I click the link again, it loads fine. :confused:

 

So I altered the MSI transform to NOT enable viewing PDF's in web browser. The same happens again, but the second time it works and adobe reader opens as normal

 

Is anyone else having this issue with IE7 and acrobat reader 9?

 

**EDIT** forgot to say it works fine if your an admin user.

 

Yep same here. I have removed Version 9 for that very reason. I got tired of being called out because Acrobat would hang or crash IE whatever settings the user had. Variety of users both admin and non admin. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Version 9 had a bug but cannot remember the details.

  • Thanks 1
Posted
Good to see that Adobe are on top of the situation - not. Thanks I now have a "valid" reason for keeping to previous version rather than my quite lame "I'm tired of etc..."
Posted

There are two possible reasons for this. Either you have Policy Central installed (however the latest update resolves slowdown) or as mentioned above, you're directing Application Data; but Adobe Reader 9.1 does apparently fix this.

 

I haven't actually tested it as I don't redirect Application Data and have no intention of doing so :) Maybe someone else on these forums has?

  • Thanks 2
Posted
ive started ditching acrobat in favor of foxit reader as it just seems to work quicker and with less hassle again it can be msi'd out quite happily
Posted

Would you give the URL where this is located please as I would like to give it a trial?

 

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted
ive started ditching acrobat in favor of foxit reader as it just seems to work quicker and with less hassle again it can be msi'd out quite happily

 

It can, but I don't like the fact you can't disable auto-updating - unless you know otherwise?

Posted
It can, but I don't like the fact you can't disable auto-updating - unless you know otherwise?

 

i dont think i even looked at that i was just glad to get something that worked (using mandatory profiles and on some pcs acrobat just crashed regually with the redirected profile type errors) so i decided i could live with it im also not 100% sure but i dont think it asks non admins about updates

Posted
It can, but I don't like the fact you can't disable auto-updating - unless you know otherwise?

 

i HAVENT tried this yet but ive just done a manual install on teh pcs im on and altered the auto update to dont. in C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader is a file called FoxitReader_Preferences.ini

 

scroll down to the [AutoUpdate Info] section and set IsAutoUpdate to 0 then just distribute the file to workstations should stop the updating

 

like i said i havnt tried it but as there appear to be no reg entries for the software i dent see this not working or causing any problems

 

batch file to copy

copy "\\server\packages$\foxitreader\3.0\FoxitReader_Preferences.ini" C:\Program Files\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\" /y

  • Thanks 1
Posted

Be aware that if you prevent auto-updating or roll back to a prior version you are vulnerable to several PDF viruses and trojans.

 

However due to unpatched vulnerabilities in the current release of adobe reader, it's recommended you use a alternative PDF viewer anyway. For example, Foxit Reader or Sumatra PDF.

Posted
Anyone know where I can download reader 9.1? The freely available download comes with all the AIR stuff which I don't want, and the distribution licence link I've just received still links to the old 90 version :/
Posted
Anyone know where I can download reader 9.1? The freely available download comes with all the AIR stuff which I don't want, and the distribution licence link I've just received still links to the old 90 version :/

 

You can get it here, however you're right it does still include AIR. Once installed, you can remove it manually.

  • Thanks 1
Posted

when you goto a website that requires you to print out results etc using acrobat, and you use foxit, doesn't it throw up an error about acrobat not being installed for you ?

i currently use 8 with everything turned off, and displaying in a separate window, not in browser.

Posted
when you goto a website that requires you to print out results etc using acrobat, and you use foxit, doesn't it throw up an error about acrobat not being installed for you ?

i currently use 8 with everything turned off, and displaying in a separate window, not in browser.

 

Have you reported the issue?

 

Foxit Software - Support Ticket

Posted

HI

 

Wow this thread was on time. I have just brought a pc back with a broken ie7 and a failed install of reader 9 lols

 

Thanks for saving me hours looking for a cure.

 

Richard

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...