Michael Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 Download the Overview here The full redistributable version of XP SP3 will be a whopping 580MB. Yes, you read that right, 580MB. It'll include everything, but it won't include Internet Explorer 7. For an additional 15MB, I don't understand why they don't myself...
FN-GM Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 Michael if you thibk 580mb is large have you seen the size of Vista SP1 you will be shocked. Z
Michael Posted December 6, 2007 Author Posted December 6, 2007 @elsiegee40 - From reports I have read around the web, early 2008 so possibly February/March at a guess. Of course in February there's Windows Server 2008 to look forward to as well. XP SP3 looks to be a superb update and should save lots of time applying the 100 + updates after SP2. @FN-Greatermanchester - No but I am sure you're going to tell me? I'm still an XP man, have very little interest in Vista to be honest (at the moment)!
FN-GM Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 Michael i agree i am not yet ready for Vista. The SP1 for Windows Vista is 1GB - 1.5GB z
CyberNerd Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 apparently XP SP3 whips vista in terms of performance http://www.news.com/Windows-XP-outshines-Vista-in-benchmarking-test/2100-1016_3-6220201.html
Michael Posted December 6, 2007 Author Posted December 6, 2007 @FN-Greatermanchester - You're kidding. That's not progress, that's just stupid!!!!!! Microsoft can't expect typical home users to download such large file sizes. No doubt they'll be a slim "express" Windows Update version, but this just puts me off Vista more and more. @CyberNerd - I'm not that surprised. The memory requirements are incredibly high.
FN-GM Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 Michael Microsoft will probably be providing free discs with Vista SP1 on, but they should advertise they are giving them away more as it is hard to find the page to send off for them. Z
john Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 You must remember that Vista is all Image Based Technology, hence the massive sizes, so its a complete image again, like the install disk.
Michael Posted December 6, 2007 Author Posted December 6, 2007 Yes I agree, it was hard and very long winded getting an XP SP2 disc. I am curious why Vista SP1 is so large though. I thought it was supposedly better with regards to security, unless they're adding a whole load of additional features? XP SP2 should of been XP Gold (in my opinion) and it could well be the case Vista SP1 should of been Vista Gold as well.
FN-GM Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 I agree Michael XP SP2 made fast improvements to Windows XP. Z
elsiegee40 Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 @elsiegee40 - From reports I have read around the web, early 2008 so possibly February/March at a guess. Of course in February there's Windows Server 2008 to look forward to as well. * Makes note in diary to turn off Windows Update at home in January *
FN-GM Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 @elsiegee40 - From reports I have read around the web, early 2008 so possibly February/March at a guess. Of course in February there's Windows Server 2008 to look forward to as well. * Makes note in diary to turn off Windows Update at home in January *
mattx Posted December 6, 2007 Posted December 6, 2007 XP / Vista Updates - PAH !! I remember updating Windows 95 with the new version of the winsock - I only needed it 'cos it had an update to the netbui protocol which saved me quite a few headaches at the time. That fitted on 1 floppy !!!
torledo Posted December 7, 2007 Posted December 7, 2007 apparently XP SP3 whips vista in terms of performance http://www.news.com/Windows-XP-outshines-Vista-in-benchmarking-test/2100-1016_3-6220201.html That doesn't surprise me. Vista is a big, ugly resource-hogging mess of an OS. XP SP3 is a welcome update, the size isn't an issue for those who are whingeing just download the redistributable from work (if you're at one of those schools who use ADSL Max excuse me while a LMAO ) . SP3 will be a cumulation of all the updates since SP2. So it means we can delay moving over to Vista for even longer. Although not sure how much I like being lumbered with IE7. *Just got to correct something I've said, didn't realise Michael said IE7 won't be included. Well done Microsoft*
Guest richard Posted December 7, 2007 Posted December 7, 2007 The only real problem I can see is for those people who, like my girlfriend, have a low data transfer limit. She gets 5 gig a month but I know people who only get 2 gig a month. When Vista SP1 ships they are going to be in for a hell of a surprise.
cookie_monster Posted December 7, 2007 Posted December 7, 2007 Windows SP's are cumulative i'm afraid so due to SP2 being so big SP3 is bound to be massive with another 3 years of patches included. An SP3 update pack would be nice for users that already have SP2 installed but as has been mentioned the express version should do that sorting for you. I.E updates have never been included in SP releases as they add an extra layer of compatibility issies that MS are keen to avoid.
Michael Posted December 7, 2007 Author Posted December 7, 2007 @cookie_monster - Correct me if I'm wrong, but XP SP2 did include enhancements to IE6. The pop-up blocker for example...
petectid Posted December 7, 2007 Posted December 7, 2007 I.E updates have never been included in SP releases as they add an extra layer of compatibility issies that MS are keen to avoid. Both IE7 and IE6 updates are included in SP3, the service pack will not update your IE6 browser to IE7 but it will update either of these browsers with the available security and critical updates for each. I find this amusing as wasn't IE7 release classification a criticle update?
Michael Posted December 7, 2007 Author Posted December 7, 2007 @petectid - I agree, that's why Microsoft's decision doesn't make any sense. Microsoft are always pushing that users should adopt IE7, so for the sake of 15MB it just seems an odd decision. Fortunately though (on the plus side) IE7 is easy to install silently now that activation is no longer required. IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe /quiet /passive /norestart
cookie_monster Posted December 7, 2007 Posted December 7, 2007 Yes that's correct i meant your version of I.E will not be updated by the SP.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now