Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

As per the title really how many people tinker alot at home and what do you use to do some "self learning" and testing.

seeing as i dont play many games etc at the moment my old Phenom II and a R0 array does some VMing for me but its a little limited for testing out anything like ESXI etc.

 

i have images of some people having a whole rack entrenched in the spare room :)

Posted

Sorry for maybe hijacking this thread. But id like to ask as it is related to it what would make a good machine for testing / playing on?

 

I look after 2 networks. However the Servers were installed and set up by someone else. I just keep them going. But would love to be able to test think and learn how to make a DC and file server from scratch.

I'd like to look into virtualisation but think that may be a bit to advanced for the equipment i have at the moment.

Posted

My homelab revolves around beer and diy stuff coming from the mancave.

 

I do not have any equipment for testing it related stuff at home it's enough to have it work for me.

 

Ben

  • Thanks 1
Posted
I used to have half a rack's worth of gear - some network switches of some considerable age (3com), router and a pair of beige fronted Compaq servers with a external scsi 14 bay drive array. It was literally just a testbed and used to run esx (3 I think) and tinkered with Linux and what-not. It soon disappeared when I got married! These days any testing is on VMware workstation at home but tend to keep the majority at work.
Posted

I cant really be ar$ed testing at home anymore, I would rather play games :)

When I started IT I used an HP ProLiant ML350 G3 (now collecting dust in the corner) and VMs

Posted
You don't need a big lab anymore, a decent motherboard, i5 or 7, a stack of ram and a nice quiet case you can esxi or Hyper-v it up and run it as a tested and standard station, a managed switch that supports vlans and you can run a massive amount. On the other hand most stuff you can spin up virtually on a decent spec laptop these days. I to have given up testing stuff at home, if they want me to do it for them they can pay me for it... at work. Any server stuff I run at home now is for my own use and run on a low power atom box with a stack of storage hidden away and only ever remoted into.
Posted
You don't need a big lab anymore, a decent motherboard, i5 or 7, a stack of ram and a nice quiet case you can esxi or Hyper-v it up and run it as a tested and standard station, a managed switch that supports vlans and you can run a massive amount. On the other hand most stuff you can spin up virtually on a decent spec laptop these days. I to have given up testing stuff at home, if they want me to do it for them they can pay me for it... at work. Any server stuff I run at home now is for my own use and run on a low power atom box with a stack of storage hidden away and only ever remoted into.

 

Absolutely, I have a Shuttle SZ77R5 with an i7 3.4GHz CPU, and 32GB of RAM with an SSD & HDD running ESXi and my labs all virtualised therein.

 

It replaced a bunch of screaming loud 1u chassis servers running physical OS instances.

Posted
Intel NUC, 16GB ram, SSD, and thin-provisioned VMs under ESXi. Fanless Procurve and a HP microserver running Freenas for messing around with iSCSI and NFS mounts plus general household fileserving and backups.
Posted
I use to like 10 years ago, would have servers and clients and play but now i just don't bother, in fact i don't even have a Windows PC/Laptop at home anymore.
Posted

My server was a old Dell Dimension 3000, that got P2V'd to an old stone quad core jobbie with 8gb ram.

 

I used to have a cisco lab of various routes and switches but it took up too much space so sold it on. And I can do most of it anyway now.

Posted
Intel NUC, 16GB ram, SSD, and thin-provisioned VMs under ESXi.

 

I have a very similar setup to Pete, as above, although I went for one of Tranquil PC's passivly-cooled NUC cases to make my PC completly silent. I have mine hooked up to 10 SATA drives via SATA expander cards (there's a thread somewhere from a few months ago with me and Pete discussing this) and set up running OpenStack, with the idea being that I can have my own private cloud that I can interchange VMs with RackSpace's and/or Amazon's systems.

Posted

I have a Wyse Z90 thin client with 4GB of RAM running Debian Jessie and a 1TB internal 3.5 drive strapped to the outside :) Very quiet (although its hard wired in the garage) and does all the linux testing I need, plus general household stuff like storage, autotorrents, webcam streaming and collation from the 5 Pi's around the house, music server/whole house audio, video server for the "connected living room" etc. Windows testing is done on the 72GB 4TB Dual Quad Xeon servers at work over VPN if needed :) My first PC had a full 1MB of RAM and no HD, oh how things have changed!

 

James

Posted
In my home lab 2x HP Procurves 2810's I think, I also have A Juniper J-Series 2350, 2x PFSense boxes (Which I want to swap out for Watchguards), 1x IBM Rack Mounted server (3600 Series?), and a Mini HP MicroServer whci I use for network storage. I also have my DVR in the same rack for my CCTV.
Posted

I havent been in my lab for ages, I have a monitor that sites in the front of my rack that is always on for my CCTV, but I havent touched the lab in months.

 

Need to get in there and build some Juniper Olives, and learn.

 

I desperately need to get my hands on some watchguard Fireboxes to get rid of the 2 physical PC's I have in the rack running pfsense, and a new rack.

Posted

Spare room - 12u Rack Cabinet

 

1x 4U custom server 2x Xeons , 4x HDD , 1x SSD , 24gb RAM running Vmware ESXI

( servers include a few server 2008's for entertainment like movies and music shares for Sonos,dreambox and CCTV , a few centos servers for Deluge , apache etc , and a server 2012 server for learning also running pfsense as a router)

 

1x 2811 Cisco router running IOS 15 and CME - Initally used for learning but is now setup as a home VOIP system ( connected to home telephone ) have a few wireless 7925g's and a few larger wired colour screen Ip phones.

 

1x layer 2 HP switch

 

1x 1041n Cisco wireless access point

 

1x Rack console

 

Most of the above is used in a working environment , as the whole house is wired in and each server feeds and connects to devices around the house .

 

My main PC is just a alienware desktop i7 , SSD , 16gb ram , GTX 470

Posted

When I was younger I had a few old desktops running various server os's at home but since getting married etc I'm lucky to have a 1tb buffalo network drive and a laptop.

 

I'm hoping to retire one or two servers here in the next few months as well as moving to VMWare so may keep one knocking around as a testbed, not sure taking it home(dual quad xeon) to eat our electric is a good idea ;) can't believe I had trouble finding a usb keyboard at home when repairing a friends pc, I used to have spares of anything and everything at home!

Posted

Custom built server - (Quad Core i5, 32GB ram, 2 x 2TB drives)

Running Server 2008 R2 Core with Hyper-V host

Several VM Guests:- DC, SQL, SCCM 2012, CentOS 6.4, NAS, Sharepoint, Sophos UTM, OSD Test (x2), RDP server

A few physical PCs and Laptops as well

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...