+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows 7 Thread, Windows 7 is deleting users home directories in Technical; We are also having the same issue, with student home directories being deleted, staff are fine. We are running esxi ...
    sct

Thank Post
    We are also having the same issue, with student home directories being deleted, staff are fine. We are running esxi 3.5 and thought it could have been something to do with the iscsi connector.

Have you heard anything more from Microsoft alton?

Thank Post
    What I did to fix the issue was to install FSRM and make a file screen for the share where their home directory is mapped disallowing any ini files. That did the trick for me.

Thank Post
    bestbett, what is FSRM? You are thinking that the ini files cause the folders to be deleted? If so, those .ini files are pesky! (because they also cause the issue where we can't see the folder names because they are all seen as "My Documents")

I finally had my MS case escalated to a Premier case and we are taking profile logs for tech support. No new news from my side, but they are definitely working on it.

Thank Post
    Just wanted to add that tech support asked me to turn off offline files at one point and that did not seem to be causing the issue.

5. Thanks to altonPM from:

PiqueABoo (4th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bestbett View Post
    What I did to fix the issue was to install FSRM and make a file screen for the share where their home directory is mapped disallowing any ini files. That did the trick for me.
    Be careful with that, that's the solution I originally used but it adds around 10/15 seconds to initial logon time on Windows 7 at the "Redirecting user folders" part.

Thank Post
    For me, it wasn't deleting the folders, it was ranaming them all My Documents. The desktop.ini file that gets added during the synchronize session of login.. ranmes the folder. So by disallowing he desktop.ini file it in turn stops the folder rename.

Thank Post
    Just wanted to add that tech support asked me to turn off offline files at one point and that did not seem to be causing the issue.
    Thanks for your updates on progress with this. Courtesy of a few little glitches here and there, and some of that nasty old incompatible educational software, I wasn't entirely happy with Win7 and I've been cautiously waiting the SP1 before putting it into production. But I will be using all the ingredients mentioned on this thread.. folder redirection, folder quotas, offline files, IPv6 disabled same as I do server-side now etc., so I'm also interested in the outcome.

Anyway, this update is interesting. I don't see why desktop.ini files would have anything to do with this, but offline files did seem like a vaguely credible contender for the deletion i.e. I could imagine that getting very confused and emptying the folder.

--

Re. desktop.ini. I make a home drive mapped as H: e.g.

..\share\FredB

But I redirect docs to a sub-folder

..\share\FredB\Documents

Thus I don't care what desktop.ini tells Explorer to display. Note: I also hide that H: drive - two ways to get to roughly the same place is too challenging for some folk, so they just get My Docs plus those usual shared-with-other-folk drive mappings. Would have done without H: drive altogether, but some other things didn't work with a UNC.

Thank Post
    I have an update! So, Microsoft asked me to turn on some profile and folder redirection tracing (I got to write the scripts myself - see this thread on TechNet for details: Can PowerShell restore previous versions of files/folders via Volume Shadow Services (VSS)?). From there, they were able to determine that the home folder is being deleted because, somewhere, it is seeing the server's FQDN as a different path, and deleting it.

In the 2nd line below, it is not seeing the server name (\\depot) and the FQDN (\\depot.alton.school.com) as the same path, and is deleting the folder because of this discrepancy. We've just done a full search of the group policies and haven't seen the FQDN of the server anywhere (it's always mapped as %HOMESHARE%, so we're trying to find out why this discrepancy is occurring.

[1]0394.0454::11/16/2010-23:03:16.950 [kfapi] <INFO> kfapi::CFolderRedirector::Redirect Got redirection source path = \\depot.alton.school.com\students\10577
    [0]0394.0454::11/16/2010-23:03:17.556 [kfapi] <API> kfapi::CFolderRedirector::PerformRedirection Entering, fid = {FDD39AD0-238F-46AF-ADB4-6C85480369C7}, source = \\depot.alton.school.com\students\10577, target = \\depot\students\10577
    [0]0394.0454::11/16/2010-23:03:24.788 [kfapi] <INFO> kfapi::CFolderRedirector::PerformRedirection Known folder path updated
    [1]0394.0454::11/16/2010-23:03:24.827 [kfapi] <INFO> kfapi::CFolderRedirector::PerformRedirection Delete source folders

10. 2 Thanks to altonPM:

TechFRCS (14th February 2011), Tricks (18th November 2010)

Thank Post
    We sorted this out a while back

We have a mantory profile for everyone expect admins

The mantory profile ntuser has the regeistry set for each of the special folder has shown below to the following place

o:\Documents
    o:\Pictures
    o:\Music
    o:\Videos
    o:\Favouites

And of course all out user have a mapped 'o' network drive and also has no redirection group policys set has the profile has set the correct location already!

12. Thanks to pritchardavid from:

speckytecky (17th November 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by altonPM View Post
    In the 2nd line below, it is not seeing the server name (\\depot) and the FQDN (\\depot.alton.school.com) as the same path, and is deleting the folder because of this discrepancy. We've just done a full search of the group policies and haven't seen the FQDN of the server anywhere (it's always mapped as %HOMESHARE%, so we're trying to find out why this discrepancy is occurring.
    Thanks for the update altonPM. We've not had this deleting issue yet but am all to wary of doing something that triggers it. I havn't used the %HOMESHARE% variable in our profiles paths which may be why.

Thank Post

Same Issue

Alton,

Did you ever get a final answer from Microsoft? I've just opened a ticket, a waiting for the call back.

Thanks,

Chris

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe she did:
    Can PowerShell restore previous versions of files/folders via Volume Shadow Services (VSS)?

And just in case that thread ever vanishes here is her solution:
    Hi Daniel -

Yes, we do have a fix that worked for us. What follows is the registry key and an explanation of it! For some reason, Windows 7 is comparing the FQDN path with the short path (even though the FQDN path is NOT set anywhere in our policies or AD properties any longer - we checked extensively; although it was set at one time because I tried it as a potential fix to the problem below). It sees them as two different folders and then deletes one of them!

Give it a try, and best of luck! We are still having issues with some netbooks (only one model) not being able to access students' home folders using the short name path, and that part of the case has been escalated to a Networking Team in MS Tech Support - they are still analyzing network logs. But, at least the folders aren't being deleted any longer.

-Pam

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ CheckSameSourceAndTargetForFRAndDFS = 1

In conversation with my colleague, we came across a policy for Windows Explorer that addresses this very issue:

Machine Policies \Windows Components\Windows Explorer
    “Verify old and new Folder Redirection targets point to the same share before redirecting”

Policy Info:
    This policy setting allows you to prevent data loss when you change the target location for Folder Redirection, and the new and old targets point to the same network share, but have different network paths.

If you enable this policy setting, Folder Redirection creates a temporary file in the old location in order to verify that new and old locations point to the same network share. If both new and old locations point to the same share, the target path is updated and files are not copied or deleted. The temporary file is deleted.

If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, Folder Redirection does not create a temporary file and functions as if both new and old locations point to different shares when their network paths are different.

Note: If the paths point to different network shares, this policy setting is not required. If the paths point to the same network share, any data contained in the redirected folders is deleted if this policy setting is not enabled.

Thank Post
    Thanks psydii for cross-posting that, I'm sorry I forgot to post it here!

We are still working with Microsoft on part of this issue. Although we resolved the folder deletion, now we have a situation where students don't have permissions to access their own home folder / mapped drive by short name only (i.e., they can get to it by FQDN!) and only on some machines (mostly netbooks). It's not a server permissions problem or a Group Policy issue, and MS has a Networking Team analyzing data for me on that part of it.

-Pam

17. Thanks to altonPM from:

psydii (23rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    The symptoms you are getting are similar to mine when I had offline files active on student machines. If a logged on user (Fred) puts say \\server1 into offline mode, only Fred can put the server back into online mode. Any other user logged on to that machine will get an access denied error, but can access the server using the full DNS name (server1.blah.local) or IP instead. That is, unless that user also then puts the full DNS name into offline mode as well.
    It's basically because the new user that is logged on doesn't have access to the first user (Fred)'s work area, so it can't do a sync check and put the share back online.

The only way I could solve this was to totally disable offline files via services.msc (or a group policy) and format the offline files (CSC) database by creating a DWORD entry called "FormatDatabase" and setting the entry to "1" in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\CSC\Parameters

and rebooting.

I did find a thread about this on technet which was replied to by a Microsoft poster who said this was by design.
    Vista Offline Files Redirection Failed When local Cache put in Offline Mode

19. Thanks to DrCheese from:

altonPM (23rd February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TYO View Post
    I need help with a very strange problem! We have replaced 7 of our Admin machines over to new HP's running windows 7.

First one was drive mapping conflicting during the log on script because the H drive was used by a memory card reader. remapping the memory card reader and drive mapping worked fine.

Second one was home directories just displaying as "documents" in \\*file server*\*share*\ rather than the login name before, however if you opened the documents folder, it is showing as \\*file server*\*share*\*user* and same within command prompt. Not sure if this just how windows 7 works but obviously we would like to see the login in the share and not just "Documents" for everyone.
    In regards to your second problem ... deleting the desktop.ini file from the user area automatically makes the name correct again. if the stuff in the microsoft article doesnt appeal to you... you can setup a batch file that you setup to run every night through scheduled task to delete any of the desktop.ini files. You can find batch file code for that here.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast