+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Ipads and apps in Schools in Technical; Sadly the rules for the USA and Canada are totally different to the UK...

Thank Post
    Sadly the rules for the USA and Canada are totally different to the UK

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Without meaning to sound rude possibly it would have been better to work these things out before buying the iPads?
    Gah .. I'm in the same situ where I had (last year and only just got a Mac Mini server to help with it all) 25 iPad 1 thrust upon me by someone who thought it would be a good idea .. until I pointed out they could have waited a week or so and got iPad 2 instead ..

Sometimes, as I'm sure everyone who works in Educational ICT is aware, people think they know better than the professional they pay to know better .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Achandler View Post
    Sadly the rules for the USA and Canada are totally different to the UK
    This isn't a regional restriction. Several other UK based techs have pointed this out in some of the other iPad discussions here.

The limitations are as follows:

5 computers authorized for iTunes content
    10 devices sync'd to a single iCloud account
    Unlimited iOS devices sync'd to a single iTunes account - this includes iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Apple TV's

Using a single master account you can synch all of your devices and apps. Yes it's a clear licensing violation, but until the VPP is available in your area, it's the simplest workaround.

4. Thanks to Destinova from:

SwedishChef (27th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Yes it's a clear licensing violation, but until the VPP is available in your area, it's the simplest workaround
    ...and it's also the official line on how to do it in this country (UK), direct from the mouths of the Apple Education/Business team at Meadowhall.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    ...and it's also the official line on how to do it in this country (UK), direct from the mouths of the Apple Education/Business team at Meadowhall.
    Excellent. I'll be attending our local Apple Learning Tour tomorrow morning and hope to elicit the same from them. Really, until they make the VPP available, what else are we to do?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinova View Post
    Excellent. I'll be attending our local Apple Learning Tour tomorrow morning and hope to elicit the same from them. Really, until they make the VPP available, what else are we to do?
    It all depends on how you deploy the devices, how much user responsibility there is and what range of tools you are using to deploy / manage / assign the devices. I've put up the first 2 posts about the Leadership Summit here and here but it is going to take quite a few posts to go through everything which was discussed ... but some of the delegates are aware of a number of workarounds ranging from gifting to designated AppleIDs to some other things ... but the lack of VPP and present limitations was appreciated by all present. I am not sure whether it has come up in this or another thread but instructions for creating a non-credit card account can be found at Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marci View Post
    So Apple can't come knocking on the door about any licensing violations in the UK?

If you had a class set of iPads and only used free apps and sync’d to a single master iTunes account, I guess that would be fine but, if you were rolling out the pages app to 10's, or 100's of iPads I’m sure that Apple or any other App developer would want their money...

Thank Post
    What about this ? Meraki Systems Manager
    Looks like it might do what you want.

10. 2 Thanks to difinity:

adhutton (1st May 2012), drewp (26th April 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Have you seen the RM Tech Seminar threads? Are there any in your area as this is one of the workshops that would interest you.
    I agree, I attended the latest round of RM seminar and it gave some valuable information on how to licence the apps correctly without lots of individual email addresses, however it did confirm that there isn't a way to deploy the paid for apps legally without gifting them and then starting the install on each iPad manually, which is down to the schools preference of whether you want the staff, student or ICT support to carry out.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    I agree, I attended the latest round of RM seminar and it gave some valuable information on how to licence the apps correctly without lots of individual email addresses, however it did confirm that there isn't a way to deploy the paid for apps legally without gifting them and then starting the install on each iPad manually, which is down to the schools preference of whether you want the staff, student or ICT support to carry out.
    Gah .. I suppose I should deliver the bad news to the SLT here .. Eik ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12