+ Post New Thread
Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall Thread, AOL and Lancsngfl proxy in Technical; Hello all, I'm just wondering if anyone in a school in lancashire who hits the lancsngfl proxy could test AOL.co.uk ...

Thank Post

AOL and Lancsngfl proxy

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if anyone in a school in lancashire who hits the lancsngfl proxy could test AOL.co.uk for me, aol.com works perfectly well?

When I attempt it, the site looks like it has no CSS file, it's just white with black text, photos and some blue links, also if you try and access aol email, the progress bar just stops two thirds of the way accross and hangs.

Could any of my fellow lancashirites please try this for me, I don't hit our schools proxy server so I'm confident that it can't be down to that, I've emailed the people running the lancs web filter but have had no reply just yet.

If you get the chance to try an email you can use is liamq1@aol.co.uk and password - goldpen23, the account and password are throw aways so abuse at your leisure.

Or if anyone has any idea why all of a sudden I wouldn't be able to access aol.co.uk or it's email service then I'm open to suggesstions, cheers in advance.

Thank Post
    Hi

I had a member of staff complaining that aol email not working in school today but not had time to have a look at it,

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    Hi

I had a member of staff complaining that aol email not working in school today but not had time to have a look at it,

Richard
    If you could keep me in the loop and see if your problems mirror mine I would really appreciate it, I've still not heard back from the council just yet.

I've checked the updates on and rebooted my proxy server, I've stripped back all my browser settings to let anything and everything through and still no joy. Every other website seems to be fine, just AOL uk and its mail.

Thank Post
    Hi

The normal connection method does not work but the basic one does.

Richard

Thank Post
    But when I click the basic connection method the page is just black text on white and the formatting awful, as per the screen shot, does yours look the same or is it ok.
    AOL.co.uk looks pretty much the same as that.

aol.png

Thank Post
    Yep got same problem @ 2 Lancashire schools, suspect it's the whole of the Lancsngfl, according to staff members who use aol mail, worked okay before Easter now not so!

Thank Post
    Thats somewhat of a relief, as I've said I've emailed the guys running the filter/proxy, so I'll repost back in to this thread if I hear anything.

If anyone manages to crack it, if they could posrt in here that would be fantastic, thanks everyone for your responses.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lquinnuk View Post
    Thats somewhat of a relief, as I've said I've emailed the guys running the filter/proxy, so I'll repost back in to this thread if I hear anything.

If anyone manages to crack it, if they could posrt in here that would be fantastic, thanks everyone for your responses.
    Have you tried testing your mail servers on the postmaster website on AOL? AOL Postmaster | Main / Welcome to the AOL Postmaster Website

Check that these are not blocked by AOL, sometimes they have known to block certain proxies, I can send to aol.co.uk but not aol.com. I tested all our mailboxes and it came up with success, I'm guesing that they must be experiencing problems.

Thank Post
    I've seen this happen with content filters.

Website is hosted at aol.co.uk / mail.aol.co.uk / whatever.aol.co.uk yet the content (images, CSS etc...) are hosted somewhere else so it gets blocked in the background.

Had this with outlook.com after microsoft moved a lot of the actual content to "gfx.ms" and previously with hotmail as content was at "wlxrs.com".

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    I've seen this happen with content filters.

Website is hosted at aol.co.uk / mail.aol.co.uk / whatever.aol.co.uk yet the content (images, CSS etc...) are hosted somewhere else so it gets blocked in the background.

Had this with outlook.com after microsoft moved a lot of the actual content to "gfx.ms" and previously with hotmail as content was at "wlxrs.com".

Simon
    Well here's hoping those running the content filter get back to me asap, the panic this has created is absolutely crazy, they never seem too swift to respond though when ever I have sent a query regarding the filter.

I've ran the test on the mail server as mentioned in the previous post and that has checked out, so it seems the problem must lie with the filter....lancashire only...racism!

Thank Post
    It appears not, we are having problems and we are based in south east London.

Thank Post
    Not good, that means you can't even have a nice cup of tea while you wait due to your terrible water.....I feel worse for you than I do for me, if it's stil down tomorrow I'll DHL you some tap water.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread