-
Posts
396 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tickmike
-
It does have it.. ! I'm trying running Win7 in 'virtualbox' the using the RDP client but still not connecting. Going to look at network/firewall permissions today.
-
Remote Desktop Connection using 'Remmina' for my daughter to use her uni 'cloud' from home to do her work. I have to set up Server / Computer / Host name: desktop.name-changed.ac.uk Gateway: rdgateway.name-changed.ac.uk Domain: network ----------------------------------------------------- The problem there is no place to put the gateway settings. I have set up port 3389 in my firewall. Any urgent help please. PCLinuxOS 2013.12 KDE Laptop
-
Yes it's a very good projects and I was hoping to get some interest in my area to get one started as I live in a small village in south-Derbyshire and our broadband speed is rubbish. I'm not on 'Facebook'.
-
Being very interested in this project B4RN.Org.uk - FTTH Broadband for the Rural North I wanted to do some investigating about the local fibre networks, is there a website or some place I can see where the networks go ?. My location is Derbyshire or more local South-Derbyshire.
-
I have been using PCLinuxOS for about 8 years on all our home machines including 6 test machines, NAS and my daughters laptop, windows if ever wanted is install in 'virtualBox' and my wife's tablet is powered by 'Jellybean' android.
-
Find a free computer from 'freecycle' Then use a free Linux operating system, the only thing I paid for was two 1Tb hard drives. Mine works a treat, quite, fast, and I used a stripped down version of 'PCLinuxOS Minime' http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/100270-directory-structure-permissions-home-nas.html#post864963
- 16 replies
-
- green computing
- home server
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Sharing Lan To WiFi For Iphone And Tablet At Uni Private Halls.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Reading the AUP I note this section and to me it looks like it is ok to share the Lan. "Internet Connection Sharing. If you share the resources of your internet connection over a Private Network on your premises, you must make sure that your network is secure, and that any Internet Connection Sharing software that you are using does not permit access from outside of your network. This is especially important if running an "Open Proxy Server". This is because an "Open Proxy Server" will allow other users of the internet to exploit your internet connection, and use it as if it were their own. For example, an external user could access your local network or send unsolicited e-mail(s) that would appear to come from you." -
Sharing Lan To WiFi For Iphone And Tablet At Uni Private Halls.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Thank you but see above posts !. -
Sharing Lan To WiFi For Iphone And Tablet At Uni Private Halls.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
I know it's Not on the uni system because She had a problem with emails when she first went there and I was in touch with the uni IT chaps, Emnet is the ISP. I set her Linux laptop up to act as an WiFi Ad-Hoc network but last weekend when I went to see her we could not get it to connect to her iPhone (some iPhone bug stops it , lot of people having problems with Ad-Hoc on there iPhones). -
Sharing Lan To WiFi For Iphone And Tablet At Uni Private Halls.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Thanks Ben I'm looking in to that device it looks very useful. She's in Private halls not run by the uni and I know there ISP is 'Emnet' (I did sent them an email to support but had no reply yet), I had a look at the on-line AUP for WiFi hot spots but could not see where they are not to have one. The uni WiFi signal is not strong enough for a good connection. Re " getting the router to authenticate will likely be non-trivial." Any idea's on getting around that ?. -
I was thinking of using an old router or an access point (I'm trying to get a Free one from 'Freecycle' unless someone can give me something suitable ) to share (for my daughters use only in her private halls flat, one of her flat mates has a similar set up by her dad.) the Lan connection for her iphone and her tablet . I have looked in the AUP and cannot see where it can not be done. Set up now. The Lan is connected by a RJ45 to her laptop and on it's first use needed login and password details. The Lan's Ip is in the range of 10.210.10.390. Proposed set up. If I had the RJ45 from the wall socket plugged into a the switch of the router or AP, then another cable to the laptop then set up the WiFi on a different IP range 192.168.1.1 for the iphone etc, set up good WPA security passwords. Would the laptop have to be switched on to get authentication. ? I would have to be careful of 'double Natting' . Would that work ? Any advice please.
-
Just join the forum at kitz.co.uk - ADSL Broadband Information and they will help you sort it out , no need for new one !.
-
Sent you a PM the other day ! ?.
-
BatteryCare - Proper laptop battery usage guide Explaining the Do's and Don'ts of Battery Charging - Battery University Apple - Batteries I spent some time yesterday re-calibrating the battery/laptop and now may be I do not need a new battery yet, it was showing 18% when I booted it up and lasted 20 min, and now after doing the re-cal (as in links above ) it is showing 45% and lasting 2 hrs
-
https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk http://www.edugeek.net/forums/nix/104643-barebones-laptop-linux.html
-
Acer 5738Z battery Replacement, With me taking over my daughters old laptop I find it needs a new Battery as it only runs for 20min now. There seem to be lots on the internet from £13 to £84 . Has anyone any advice about which one to get and what to keep away from also any good firms.
-
Is It Possible To Disable One Program When Another Is Used ?. I was trying to think how to disable 'Facebook' when 'Skype' is being used . After waiting all week to see and speak to our daughter at uni all she seems to be doing when we Skype her is talking to her mates on Facebook. So if I could accidentally place some software in her new Xmas present of a new laptop running PCLinuxOS KDE to stop Facebook when she is talking to us on Skype that will be good . I need someone to write a script to get this to work. It needs to disable Facebook when she uses Skype then after she has finished with Skype enable Facebook again. Any idea's please.
-
PCSPECIALIST - Laptop-computers, Laptops, Custom Laptops, Gaming Laptops, Buy Laptop Order placed for a '15.6" Genesis IV' Laptop, I had a 500Gb upgrade for the hard drive, NO Operating system/any software, Found you can get a further £15 off by searching for a 'Discount voucher code' . Total £315 (£81 off ). Take about 11 Days to build.
-
I can not see any prices on there website. IT manufacturer and solutions provider to the Public Sector | Stone Group
-
It's not as easy as that. ! Windows refund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-
Yes, But happy to put my favorite PCLinuxOS on them as I Do Not Like Ubuntu !.
-
The whole idea is NOT to have Windows at all .
-
Anybody got any views on these barebone Laptops please.. The Novatech nSpire N1504 The Novatech nSpire N1523 We normally use PCLinuxOS KDE Desktop For Home Use.
-
Hi, I'm sorry I did not know I had a reply. Yes you have some good idea's thanks I will look into them. I did get the emails working again from the laptop by using 'Gmail smtp' servers so it now sends me an email when its done a backup.
