Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tickmike

Members
  • Posts

    396
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tickmike

  1. Hello, I'm back again after looking at loads of ISP's . We do not have cable around here, some of them are not covering our area, the local exchange has ADSL Max. But no LLU. Have been looking at this > http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=fixedcomparison_res Free connection. Free modem with 12mth term.* Static IP. Unlimited useage (subject to FUP from 6pm > 12pm.) Price range not bad. * The free modem is a " Speedtouch 330 USB ADSL modem" I was thinking of plugging this USB modem into a 'Smoothwall Box' red/green, then into my wireless router. Does any of you smoothwall experts know if this USB modem is compatible with smoothwall because I understand USB input are one of smoothwalls weaknesses. Regards Michael.
  2. Hi, These may be of help http://www.kidsmart.org.uk/ http://www.childnet-int.org/safety/parents.aspx http://www.bbc.co.uk/chatguide/ Regards Michael.
  3. Hi. Thanks for explaining those detail, I like to listen to some music and look at video streaming ='Nasa TV' space station etc. http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html Do you think I should keep away from any ISP's that do not have unlimited download ?. Michael.
  4. Well thanks all of you who have taken the time to answer, It's a real mine field out there with all the different ISP's.. Thanks for the links, some more useful one's > http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/caps.htm > http://www.broadband-help.com/tools/speed-test/default.aspx > http://www.ukoffer.com/broadband.php?source=adwords&gclid=CMSl7Kn65IUCFR95MAodIGziOA > http://www.btsuck.org/?article=172 I may go with BT Business >http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/broadband/lite But then again talking to my neighbour they have BT home and get lots of trouble with it, so it seem's pot luck if you get a good connection, our local exchange was upgraded to ADSL Max in march 06. Three things what is LLU , MAC code,why is it a good idea to have a static IP for you broadband ?. If anyone's got a spare stand a-loan ADSL Modem with LAN-output (Not USB) can you PM me I may be interested . From Michael.
  5. Hi, Tom_Newton and welcome, That was a few weeks ago and I got this cheap £40 link to work so I could regain some of my free time back (also one of our members fixed me up with some redundant 'wifi bridges' that did the job). The school has no spare cash for IT and I have set it all up for free and I look after it for free, you could say I have brought them into the 21st century, It was nice at there last 'Ofsted' and when I went over to collect my daughter from school at 4pm (she has now gone to a "big school") I was taken to one side by the ofsted inspectors and congratulated on providing the school with an excellent school network and all the other things I had signally done for that small village school. Regards Michael.
  6. Hi All. I'm at last thinking of going on to broadband at home, I live in the 'sticks' about 4kl from the local exchange, with my dial-up as low as 9kbs sometimes ! but normally about 45.2kbs. The BT phone line check says I will get 2mbs, but it said that for the school and we have just gone on to BT Broadband and that is from 3.5 to 4.mbs speed, so I only live 150mts from the school so I should get about the same. I been told by someone who lives about 1kl from the same exchange and he uses 'Tiscali' which includes All local and national phone calls free, unlimited downloads up to 2mbs in speed at £19.99 mth. Has any one got any experience of this firm ?. Also any idea what this means in the conditions ?. Telecommunications plc ('BT') phone lines by routing your phone calls to our network at your local BT telephone exchange ('Carrier Pre-Selection' or 'CPS'). By using CPS, all calls (except calls to emergency numbers, operator assistance, directory enquiries and flat-rate internet dial-up numbers) will be routed to us automatically. Free Weekend Talk is only available with CPS. If you do not want to use CPS and would rather use the services by dialling the code and number, you must tell us on your application form. From Michael.
  7. Hi Chris, If I can do it I'm sure you can , especially with help from this great site. In my donated server I just added more IDE drives on a PCI raid card. Best of luck from Michael
  8. Hello all , Well I've had 'user's' most of this week for the first time on this new system I have worked on over the holidays With lots of help from you guys and girls . The pupils and teachers are enjoying the benefits . A big thank you and I hope this site goes from strength to strength. From Michael.
  9. Hi all, I re did the Mandatory profile as AJBritton said above and the above errors have gone but the only problem is my GPo are not going out to the workstations on the user accounts. Is there any re-sets I should do ?. Any Ideas please. From Michael.
  10. I was . If any body wants to take them home it can be the head .
  11. Get a lot of MP3's on them !
  12. Hello and thanks. Some more good advice to add to my strength. I don't want to go to this SMT meeting so what I will do is to write all the related details down what they have to do and what I will do for them, about these password , AUP, Data protection etc.. After all the school is run by untrained parents with three professional teachers. That's good reading on the Becta web site ( Maybe add a link/copy on this site to that useful info for all to read ). Regards Michael.
  13. Hello all ( uk and the world). Carrying on about the access to the school network by Teachers/ helpful parents and anybody else . See http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4068 I going to write to SMT at this school which is made up of the head, parents,and others from our village. I need to know if there is something in the Data protection act saying that the school must have access to the admin and root passwords, because the parent /chairperson left a phone message saying they must have them as in the data protection act.. Regards Michael.
  14. Hi Thanks . That's good to know, For when it was individual computers ( not locked down) the little darlings cause me some grief changing as many of the setting as they could and I spent my own free time changing them all back again. Not any more . :twisted: From Michael.
  15. Hi Geoff. Thanks . Do you Know, I have somehow missed seeing all that group of settings :oops: ( there are so many ! I whished there was an index ) From Michael.
  16. Hi All. Windows 2000 server /W2K ..ws. Good morning Ben, Re A. Will the AD GPO settings stop them changing the computer settings if they log onto the local computer instead of the domain account ( I will have a play with this tonight when I go over to school ). Re B Any ideas which setting turns off the IE icon on the desktop ?. From Michael.
  17. Hi All. Windows 2000 server /W2K ..ws. This is from my question above. Does any know were in AD GP you turn off :- This is a 'user' account on a workstation. A..On the "log on to windows" box How do I disable the "options" ( I have the domain computer and the local computer in the options box, I do not want the pupils to change them over). B.. How do I Inhibit the Internet Explorer Icon from the desktop for the users ( I use firefox ). Any ideas. From Michael.
  18. Hello Ben . 10 out of 10 For that answer, I had a look at that yesterday when I was at school, but what I was looking at was ' show hidden files and folders' and that was unchecked did not think to look at the one below it.. I bet it will work now without these odd errors. But if not I will go though what AJB said above. Regards Michael.
  19. Hello Ajbritton. I have edited the above post to try and explain a bit better. Thanks for that (I think I did all you have put down ), I will try again tomorrow night when I go over to school and go over the above. Re Question. 2 Just had a look(via my radio link to school from home) at the NTUSER.DAT File It still thinks its a DAT file !?? (right click> properties> says Its NTUSER.DAT ) What I did to change it was to right click it and rename it, is that not the way to do it ?.( this could be the problem). Re Question 3 I was logged on with admin acc. One thing always puzzles me about the 'administrators' accounts on a server. what I always do when installing the OS is to change the primary administrators name. But that should then be the server main administrator, but what about all the other administrator settings in GP eg.domain admin, DCHP admin.... Do I have to put me down into all these admin groups or is it done automatically because I'm the primary administrator ?. Anybody got any info on question A &B on my post above please. From Michael.
  20. Hi. Although I only live 150 mts. from the school and I'm only there when I choose to go Eg. when there is no one there !.. I'm half expecting a desperate phone call from school saying the man's at school and needs to put this printer onto the system . Being that I am trying to get the roof of my garage/flat I'm building put on before the bad weather, I will just have a word with him then on the phone to sort things out, he will understand.. But thanks for the idea. From Michael.
  21. Hi. Re copier/printer . I went in after school on Thursday night ( Its great, nice and quite just the mice eating away under the floor ) and did a bit on this new network also put a notice on the copier "I require a static IP address on 192. etc and sm 255.etc. and ask for there Mac .address and driver Disk", so I went in last night, ( mice are now in one of the cupboards . O-well not my problem now. One of the children had a shock when they came backfrom holidays, In the classroom draw was a nice family of mice..! Its never been the same since I left 2 years ago !). So I looked at my note on the copier and the parent/ school chairperson (who ordered this machine) had put on it that I did not need that.. :x What the fxxx does she know about servers and networks ?.. I have put on it, no IP address no network printer.. They may soon appreciate all the free hard work I do with the computers( with no thanks), they have mist the use of the system on the inset day when they wanted to print out some labels and they will have to wait a bit longer because I have a few issues to sort out yet. Regards Michael. Ps. I think I may ask for there Bank details, username and passwords see what they say to that. :twisted:
  22. Hi. And welcome. I was playing about with this http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php I have only a small network which includes two Static address's on it and it picked them up ok, give it a try its free !. Regards Michael.
  23. Hi All. Windows 2000 server / W2K... W.S. < Edit On changing from a 'roaming' profile to a 'mandatory' (setting up the mandatory as in the Wiki) I get the following problems, Any ideas please. 1..Edit ..On the workstation.. Edit end ..logging on to a 'user' setting, I get "Restrictions...The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer" But does not say what, You can still log on ? . 2.. On logging off the above user I get "windows cannot update your roaming profile. 3..Edit .. Now on the server ..Edit end...On trying to set the 'home folder' In users polices I keep getting " you do not have create rights on this computer"( I have tried to take owner ship of the folder). Also some help with this please. Edit .. On the workstation ..Edit end . A..On the "log on to windows" box How do I disable the "options" ( I have the domain computer and the local computer in the options box, I do not want the pupils to change them over). B.. How do I Inhibit the Internet Explorer Icon from the desktop for the users ( I use firefox). From Michael.
  24. Hi. and thanks for comments, What I will do is to have a word with the head and talk about the problems with the staff and any 'helpful' parent messing about with this system and pointing out the damage they could do.Then take it from there. From Michael.
  25. Hi. and thanks for "All" comments, AS part of my signature says .."I'm self taught with no formal computer training so may need a lot of help" I do not mind asking the basic of basic Questions from you "experts" as I know It also Helps Many Newbies And People coming up into the world of computing who may be doing your jobs when you retire. I'm semi retired so this keeps my brain active and I have done loads of free help for our village school , al-though this school is not the "norm" Its given my daughter a good education as recognised by the senior school she now goes to in the nearby city. Like Ben says its going to be the children and teachers who will benefit in the end when the system is up and running.. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ OK back to business. I like to take the easy way out . I have set all the users accounts up .. but I left out the passwords . If I now go to these accounts and put something in them then 'tick' the user changes password at first log on. Do you think that is my easy way to do this. From Michael.
×
×
  • Create New...