-
Posts
396 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tickmike
-
I Want The Teachers To Install There Own Software On The W.S
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in How do you do....it?
Hi. and thanks , When these WS were all stand a-loans I gave the teachers 'Power user' rights on these local machines. 1..If I did that how do I stop them getting access to the server.? 2.. Is 'power user' a higher user rights to do software installation.? Michael Ps.re my comment "I'm on a big learning curve, Its a good job you do not charge for info " It keeps my brain active ! Ok who said what brain.. -
Hello . Here we go again :!: ( I'm on a big learning curve, Its a good job you do not charge for info ) Win2000 server / W2K work stations. It want all three teachers in the school to install there own software on the workstations with no help from me. 1.. how to do it ?.(no scripts please ). 2.. will that cause me any problems ?. Thanks. From Michael.
-
Setting Up A Users Account ... Help Wanted Please...
tickmike posted a topic in How do you do....it?
Hello . Ok next question . On the 'test' user account I set up in AD I did not put a password in the box provided just left it blank ( is that my problem ?) Then tried to log on, but it did not like that, so I hit the 'Enter' button and logged on . I had 'user to change password at next log on ticked, but that did not seem to work. 1.. I now need to know the correct way to set the users passwords up in there profile before we go live next Monday. ( I want them with the teachers help to log on with there first name and then put there own password in. ) 2 .. how do you do it. Thanks. From Michael. -
Hello . Your all great, and Good advice. Well There is no way they are going to get any root or administrators password or sealed 'bomb' proof envelopes, ( you say keep it in the school safe ? what safe ? you mean the money box that's left lying around in the office ! .). Another thing about this school some parents come in to help and this reminded me some time ago when one of them wanted to go on the internet (dial up in them days) so she clicked on the dialup icon then she decided that she had to put in the user name and password (which she did no know) she asks the head and the only one she had was for our email account , she put this and of cause it would not work . So I get frantic phone calls that the internet was not working.. all she had to do was click ok in the first place because it was pre set by me. So you could imagine what some of them could do to this domain if they had a password to get in.( the heads husband builds/takes apart computers ! ? ! * mainly old 486's win 95 ) :!: Another thing I provided and built the sever up and have provided some of the hardware for the network which you could say is on loan. what I have done about the printer is put a note on it asking for a static IP address of xxxxx etc. and asked for the Mac address. And if he wants to test it he can use his laptop plugged into the printer , and I will set it up in my own time. If the school chairperson/parent who this ordered this digital copier/printer and took its delivery then arranged for it to be moved again some time next week also ask them to set it up and never even thought to ask my advice first well they will have to wait till I'm ready to put it on the network . Thanks. From Michael.
-
Hello . Your all great !. I'm leaning fast. Reset the permissions on the folders and hay presto it worked . The 'tick box' was not ticked to add ownership to sub folders. Thanks. From Michael.
-
Hi. Ric I have just shut down the workstation (I'm going home) but still cannot delete this profile says "access denied". On making a new "teststaff2" user account and putting the path in the profile part and the home folder in AD click apply and it saying that I do not have 'create' credentials ? but I am the administrator ?. going home bye.
-
Hi.Ben . It a "teststaff" user account and its not logged on any workstation and I wanted to delete the contents and copy/paste a teststaff profile from another place ( It got mixed up with the pupils profile folder but I have changed it in AD ).
-
Hi. Windows 2000 server I'm at school now ( 9pm) trying to test some staff roaming profiles out I have a shared folder ( with the permissions set for me=administrator and domain/user both with full control ) where the profile gets deposited, but it will not let me delete this profile or open it . Any help please.
-
Hello . I need your advice again. The head has asked me for the password to get access to the server and all the computers. There is no way I'm going to give the root password away, as a lot of you know I spent hours and hours ( may be days) of my own time setting up this new domain for free in the school holidays and I'm not letting them damage it . Views please. Problem the new copier/printer is hired and I cannot get access into the settings ( hire firm password protected it) so they are coming in to set it up and I have been ask for the server password. 1..So if I just set up a account / password for them to do this..Is this the way to get around this problem ?. 2.. what permissions do I need to give for them to do this. 3..How to do it. Note. its a private run school. no l.e.a. etc.
-
Hi. Yes I did say telnet, But yes its 'terminal service' . I was working at the school last night, so I moved an icon on the sever into the centre of the desktop > logged off, Went to the remote desktop viewer workstation and guess what the icon was in the same place with windows remote desktop viewer, but with ultra VNC it was were I just moved it to ?.
-
Need Some Advice Please .What Would You Do If You Were Me.!.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in General Chat
I have no problem with the liberal use of bold, helps emphasise the point if necessary. I was talking about the all caps thread title. It is generally considered poor netiquette to use nothing but caps in a thread or thread title, it's the online equivalent of shouting oop's Cap lock must have been on :oops: -
Need Some Advice Please .What Would You Do If You Were Me.!.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in General Chat
Thank for that Norphy The use of bold I have been finding the some members have mist important points eg. I use sever 2000 . also I do not know how this 'quote' button works at the top of the post . :? Michael -
Hi Mark that was quick !. I have downloaded it and will try on my test rig tomorrow. Edit .. I want A , E , and some of them use G drives . Edit end Michael.
-
Hi. And the next problem !. W2K server ... W2k workstations. On the server I've enabled Edit... Terminal services Edit end (basic) server and on a remote workstation I have 'remote desktop viewer' I was working on the sever and left some program running and was still showing on the desktop. I log off. Went to the remote workstation and logged on . But the desktop did not have any sign of this program running. So I logged off. I then used 'ultra VNC' viewer and there was my program running and showing on the desktop on the server. Am I missing the point about telnet viewer ( only just started to use it). Michael.
-
Hi. Here we go again, next problem !. W2K server ... W2k workstations. On the workstation hard drives I have Two partitions C ..& .. D I do not want the pupils to see C or D I have enabled on the server GP :- Root. Managed. pupil ou. User config.. Win.. comp.. Win.. Explorer. Hide these drives in my computer. = C prevent access to drives = C Ok that hides C but I cannot see how to hide D also. Help please ... ( D partition was used for my ghosting image ). Michael.
-
Need Some Advice Please .What Would You Do If You Were Me.!.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in General Chat
Being this is a charity I would not want them to have any costs ( and there no way I will pay for it being I'm already giving them lots of my own time for free). So if the head / school management wrote up some document and I agreed with it and signed it would that be ok do you think. About CRB, I have been checked out when I was a helping parent at the school but I believe it must have run out because my daughter has left that school two years ago, I will get them to renew it. Can anyone give me some idea what the document would be like (not word for word but general outline please). Michael. -
Hello All and thanks. Mark.. I will try that out on my test set up . Gecko..re ...startup control panel is my favourite from http://www.mlin.net I think this stops the program running which I do no want just remove the system tray icon. The GOOD news is I have found this software called PS Tray Factory from http://www.pssoftlab.com/ Looks like it will do the job . (I will let you know).. Bye.
-
Need Some Advice Please .What Would You Do If You Were Me.!.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in General Chat
Thanks . Its A Private Parent Run School, No Lea . Ofsted Yes. The Parents make all rules via. a management group. One Head/Teacher and Two Other Teachers. Parents for admin,cleaning, odd jobs, Gardening, helping in class, etc. etc. Parents also raise all the money to run the school. Michael. -
Need Some Advice Please .What Would You Do If You Were Me.!.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in General Chat
This sound interesting would she draft something out or is there a standard form ? Re... egarding being root: you may want to consider an non-disclosure agreement or similar agreement so that the school (and you) are covered for Ofsted / Data Protection. Michael. -
Hi .I'm on W2K at home and just done a reg. search but it can not find that key, must be for XP only. Re. Theres a group policy setting for that (which may or may not be useful depending on if your in a server enviroment or not). "User Configuration → Administrative Templates → Start menu and Taskbar" locate "Hide the notification area" and set it to "Enabled". Will this not turn off the task bar as well as system tray ?. Michael... ps.. I,m using server 2000 and good idea about network icon.
-
Hello all . Sorry to open this post again but I still no sorted this problem out yet. Windows 2000 pro workstations. On users accounts the System tray Icons I still want to remove (but still want the program to run in the back ground ) AVG Anti Virus, Ultra VNC remote desktop viewer. I tried the suggestions above but do not work . I down loaded a bit of software to stop the system icons the only problem is you have to be on the users account to activate it. Any ideas please. No scripts please unless you give step by step idiots guide. From Michael.
-
Need Some Advice Please .What Would You Do If You Were Me.!.
tickmike posted a topic in General Chat
Hello . I need some advice please on this subject (put yourself in my shoes ) what would you do ?. Talking to the head of the school I help for free and I'm not connected now in any way, there was a question that came up "can I see any of the data on the network" ( I think she was talking about the pupils folders/files and the staff and admin files). Reading between the lines I think she needed an answer for parents or offstead if she was asked. I put her mind at rest by saying that unless she give me all the passwords I could not see all the data. (oop's). :oops: I also said (which is true) that I'm not interested in what is in any bodies folders or files only interested in the working of the network and the usefulness for the pupils education. So I been thinking about folder / file Encryption. 1.. Do you use it . 2.. Is there problems with its use. 3.. Is it worth me telling the head about it. 4.. If we used it on the admin / staff folders would you also suggest it used on the pupils folders as well if she that concerned.. Any comments on this subject will be appreciated. From Michael. -
Thanks all
-
Hi. W2K sever Well the school is not going to have a working network yet, the head and I decided to put things on hold until Monday so that will give me more time (my own free time I give up to do this ! ) to get things like this printer sorted and that would have been done today if the school chairperson / parent who received this new printer during the holidays had not taken all the documents and the password (to get to the set-up menu) home with her and she was not available all day . Regards Michael.
