-
Posts
396 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tickmike
-
Hello, Hope this gives a clear picture of what I'm trying to do...see plan below. Thanks for your help . now the set-up works ok from computer 2 looking across the link to school LAN and back, also get internet up to computer 2 and school LAN side. my latest problems are from computer 2 to my home LAN, can ping from ws1 etc. to 172.16.1.10 on computer 2 only (and back ) AND NO FURTHER !. Cannot ping to 176.16.1.2 etc. QUESTIONS 1. can someone help me with default gateways for all the static ip's.?. (I have set some up but not sure ) 2. Do I set up an dhcp server on computer 2 from my home network ?. 3. have I not go the router working on computer 2 ?. 4. what do I do about DNS for my home network (I have permission to use the school broadband) Useful link http://www.wlan.org.uk/antenna-page.html Regards Michael. school_wifi_link.tif
-
Hi. can any body help please on my post . Need to understand about setting up the default gateways up. also on my computer 2 ip = 176.16.1.2 (router) does a router need two different ip ranges to work ? if so can someone suggest my second one to use and d.g.. Michael.
-
Hi Ric. Because it's getting hard to explain is it possible if I draw a diagram I can paste it onto this forum.?. This is a small test set up to represent the school and my home network joined by a wifi link so I can run the school network from home.. Computer 1 will be on the school network 192. 168.etc. Computer 2 will be on my home network 176.16. etc. with a WIFI link in-between them ( school to my house) They are Both set up as 'routers' with nat,relay agent. too my best ability ! I'm learning fast . all same domain ,same log in details etc. internet comes from a 'smoothwall' box . 192.168.0.1 Regards.
-
Hello all . Help. If someone could give me some answers also for the previous post of mine I would be grateful. Just an update on what I have done to this test set up. I have set all the nic's properties DNS setting's to the DC 192.168.0.10 that has DNS enabled . And turned off any other DNS servers. I can access both the computer 1 ( ip = 176.16.1.1) & computer 2 (ip = 176.16.1.2) each way . so far so good. I can access the internet on computer 2 across the link ok. If now on computer 2, I plug in a workstation [ws1]( to represent my home network), It will not set an ip address from DHCP server that's on the DC ( but that's on an different ip range !!!). So I tried turning on DHCP on computer 2 that did not work. I then set up the ip addresses on the workstation [ws1] and it made the connection , But, .. could only see computer 2 . ..could not see any computers across the link. .. could not use the internet across the link via computer 2. I'm in a mess to what to set all the default gateways settings. From Michael.
-
Hi contink . Looking at the two test computers 1&2 , I was mistaken they do Not have zonealarm on them, Its my other test workstations that have it on And yes I found out the hard way years ago about the settings on it. Just going back, what I want to do is :- 1..connect the School network (it will be on a domain with a HP netserver 2000 [not yet set up] ) it will have about 30 workstations and computer 1 (that is used for part of my wifi link from school set up as a router ). 2..wifi link. 3..At home I will have computer 2 (that is used for part of my wifi link from home set up as a router ).and will have a work station at home to access the school network and the rest of my home network. Questions. A...From the threads last night I must only have one Dns server ? Set up on the school server ? what about my home net work will that then use the school one or do I still need one on home network ?. B... On the DHCP set up do I just want it set up on the school server ?. and what about my home network ?. Regards.
-
Hi. Mark .ITWombat So do I use ONE.. DNS server on the DC 192.168.0.10 and all the dns ip box's on the NIC properties are set to that one address ?.even that I'm going to have two networks joined together with a wifi link through the two routers. All the above on post at 10.40 pm are Static ip addresses . I have never run any script before ! ? ! As you can see in my signature this is new to me . what I will try to do tomorrow night is to set up all the ip addresses on this test network as I will have to get it sorted before I set it up at school. I Thank you for your help tonight . Regards Michael.
-
Hi. computer 1 and 2 are set up as routers with NAT and DHCP relay agent . to hopefully separate school network and my home network. computer 1 ping name for 2 ...failed ... it thinks the other NIC 192.168.1.1 is what it should be talking to ?. computer 2 ping name for 1 that's ok Michael ...ps What's 'chat' not used that.
-
Hi. RE.. "DNS problem - have you set it up on either?" you may be right, on computer 2 dns is running but on computer 1 its NOT set up.! Do you think that's the problem ?. Do the above ip addresses etc. look ok I'm not very good at setting them up .?. Have looked at some of the old threads. I will look into the security of the wifi link at another time. "land of nod time soon" it was 4am last night so got to make an effort to night !!!. Michael
-
Hi. I still need help I'm stuck.!. The folders on each computer are shared with full security for everyone. on computer 2 . I can look at the internet via the wifi link ok . As I said earlier these computers are part of my test set up and have RRA,DNS,IIS,Indexing Service set up on them both. and are set up as the same domain. domain server ip 192.168.0.10 sm 255.255.255.0 dg 192.168.0.10 dns 192.168.0.10 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- smoothwall box ip 192.168.0.1 sm 255.255.255.0 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ computer 1 with usb wifi adaptor ip 192.168.100.1 sm 255.255.255.0 dg 192.168.100.2 dns 192.168.100.1 second lan card (nic) ip 192.168.0.11 sm 255.255.255.0 dg 192.168.0.1 dns 192.168.0.10 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- computer 2 with usb wifi adaptor ip 192.168.100.2 sm 255.255.255.0 dg 192.168.100.1 dns 192.168.100.2 second lan card (nic) ip 192.168.1.1 sm 255.255.255.0 dg 192.168.0.10 dns 192.168.0.10 nothing pluged in this at the moment On properties of the USB network adapter :- client for ms networks load balance file and printer sharing AEGIS protocol network monitor driver TCP/IP.... All ticked. Michael
-
Thanks for your help . Both computers are set up the same. so why can I access the shared folder one way and not the other ?. Disabled the firewall for this test .. still no good and I get the same message up. Re.. "If you're using the WIFI link for remote admin, I hope the link is encrypted". yes It is.
-
Two computers w2k adv. server. with all updates. Zone alarm firewall with the ip add. set up. on both. Note they have two NIC's in each computer. Re. Is the server service also running? .....do not understand.? Michael
-
Hi All. Because I do not live far from school (about 150 Mts. LOS) I'm setting up a WIFI link from school to home to run the network etc. (I hope with maybe some help from you guy's) I plan to use two USB WIFI adaptors and two old satellite dishes at a total cost of about £35. With one dish with one USB adaptor at the focal point mounted on my house, I have done some tests to pick the signal up at school by just holding the other adaptor in my hand and pointing it at my house ( That looked ok and will be better when I put up the other dish). Now to the test set up at home . I have two old computers linked with a good WIFI signal . They are set up P2P. I can ping each way on the fixed IP numbers (not dhcp) . call it computer 1 . I can look in a test shared folder on computer 2 from 1.. no problem, add to it etc. but from computer 2 to one I get 'There are no logon servers to service the logon request' I have both computers with the same name and passwords and with administrators setting. Any idea's please. Michael.
-
Hi. Just had another idea It may seem daft but what about asking the school PTA if they want any to sell for a small amount to raise funds for the school or letting the kids have some. You would have to get some paper work with them to say sold as seen and no guarantees . (and don't come back if it goes wrong !!!) Or is there some pit falls with that ?. The one's we use are from a local firm. Free, serviced and the full kit. Charities need good hand outs. I have even ask about old computers at our local tip, but the man tells me that they sell them ( beer money ?) on to traders who do them up but he was willing to give some to our charity if we wanted any. Regards Michael.
-
Hi. I have seen this web site on our local TV, not tried them but looks good ?. http://www.freecycle.org/ Go to uk then select your area. Regards Michael.
-
Hi. You can see that I have only joined a few days ago and the questions I have asked and the replies I have had has helped me a lot because trying to do what I have done all on my own has not been easy. This is a great site may It go from strength to strength . Regards Michael.
-
Help with setting up a domain on a Donated HP Netserver
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
That sounds like me , I do not like waking up in the morning (I get up 9am to 11am after about 7 hours sleep !) Its great this retirement at 57 ... -
Help with setting up a domain on a Donated HP Netserver
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Hello All . What is the normal practice with servers and workstations are they left running all night / weekend or are they turned off ?. To save money at this charity run school the teachers turn all the equipment off at the moment to save money which has to be raised by the parents with no help from the government. From Michael. -
Help with setting up a domain on a Donated HP Netserver
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Hello . Thanks for the advice. With a domain I hope to have more control over the little darlings who will keep changing settings , deleting and crashing pc's, It should help with the updates etc. With 'mandatory profiles' do you have too go and use the same workstation each time or can you log on to any ?.I will read the WIKI later tonight. At the moment all pc's log on with the same details for one classroom or area with no teachers settings ( the three teachers know how to turn them on and that's about it, o'yes I did give them 'power users' right's to install things.) If any body got any spare large IDE hard drive's spare I will have a good home for them!. Michael. -
Hi. The school only has Three classrooms and a Library / classroom all with PC's in them and this small office, a very small kitchen and a cloak room with WC and 4 wash basins !, I told you it was small . The other "Internet Server" computer is in one of the classrooms with cd rom / floppy and all buttons inhibited . The SCSI drive yes I found that out if you set it up as mirror you loose the storage on the larger one , If any body's got two of the same size they do not want I have a good home for them !. Is a 'Mirror' set up a good idea in case one of the drive fails or not ?. From Michael.
-
Help with setting up a domain on a Donated HP Netserver
tickmike posted a topic in Wireless Networks
Hello all. The small school I look after I set all 30 computers up as Individual workstations with a network for the Internet (not yet on a domain), but I have had a HP NetServer LC 2000 with W2K advanced Server on it, At the moment I have it hooked up to a small Test Network at home. Now I have joined this site I feel a lot more confident about installing it at the school in the summer holidays, I have been playing about with the W2KS software and set up AD with GP . What the best thing to do about 'roaming profiles' or not ?. Any advice About setting up etc for this small network would be appreciated. From Michael. -
Hi All . I have had a HP NetServer LC 2000 ( just one CPU ) with W2K advanced Server on it (fresh install) "Donated", At the moment I have it hooked up to a small Test Network at home . It will be for a small school I look after, with 30 computers set up as individual workstations with a network for the Internet (not yet on a domain). The server looks in good condition, There is one 18.5Gb and 36 Gb SCSI hard drives which I have set as 'Mirror' I have also put an IDE raid card in and at the moment have just one 40 Gb IDE hard drive. Q.1.. For above network How much more storage do I need with the IDE drives ? ( I can fit up to four drives). IF I need more has any body got some they would Donate ?. 2.. Because it has 7 fans in it the only place out of the way is the small office. Its a bit damp in winter but have the office PC in there for years with no problems, will this location be ok Or shall I put it in one of the class rooms ?. 3.. Do I need all these 7 fans for this small network (it sounds like an RB211 jet engine !). Any advice About setting up etc. would be appreciated. From Michael.
-
Hi. We only have 30 computers in the school and I only use 5 way, 8 way ,16 way, Net-lynx Switches . The 8 way is about £17 from our local electronics store. On each of the three classrooms we only have 7 computers but I have 8 spare ways Just in case we get some more computers donate. From Michael.
-
Point of Interest. When I was a Electrical Apprentice (a long time before the PAT tester ) you used a 'megger', we used a 5000 volt one to do some tests and as apprentices you bet your mates how long you could hold the leads and turn the handle (I know now why I have no brain) it made you eyes light up !!!. I still have one of the older ones of my fathers from the second world war and it still works, its got a handle on it you turned to generate the voltage to do the test and a meter scale on the top which is calibrated in meg ohms. After them you had the battery powered 'megger' .
-
Hi. Don't forget these are Individual computers and Not on a domain and with W2K Pro. on them. so no 'Global polices' !.. Is that on W2K Server only ? (which we do not use yet). and I cannot see any place to disable 'active desktop' in local polices. Regards.
-
Its so GOOD and useful and its got knowledgeable members !.
