-
Posts
396 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by tickmike
-
Hello all . More help wanted please.(you have been great, very helpful ) W2K Pro. The basic question is it ok to use windows full drive back up/restore to reinstall a workstation because my copy of Ghost needs me to reboot the server as well as the workstation each time I want to do a complete install . From Michael.
-
Thanks I will try some of these idea's. The Free one's are the best for this charity.
-
Hello Just to re cap what I want to do with remote desktop is to sit at home and access The DC server (win 2k adv sever), and each of the 30 work station (Win2K pro.) and a wifi link server (win2k server) From home On a work station which has win2k server on it ( eg to run the school network from home --see my other posts). So In that case were do I enable the terminal server ? is it on the DC or on the one at my home end or does it not mater ? Thank for help . From Michael .
-
Hi All . Thanks for the link Ben . I installed the 'remote desktop' but I keeps asking for the terminal server .?. The server is happy with the KVM hooked on it. Regards Michael.
-
Default gateway settings etc. help please.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Hi All . Some good news on streaming the internet over from school, I had it working about 6pm tonight, that's with my first layout then I tried part of the 'new layout' a single IP range and no routers and stopped it working altogether. Can ping across the wifi link OK. Could not ping from the 'lan' side across the wifi link to the other 'lan' IP. I'm thinking I read that for a multihomed computer you have to have them routed or was I dreaming again. I'm going to build a second smoothy box now. Regards Michael. -
Default gateway settings etc. help please.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Hello . Do you think my new network will work better. > power cut< :x Now the storms past over and the lightning has stopped I will re do all the message before the power goes off again !. From this site I could see some of you have had some rain and lightning too . http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/weather/light0900.htm Thanks for your reply's . I was told It would be more secure for my home network if I did it as the network as in the diagram above. So if I did use a single IP range say 192.168.0.1 etc.on 255.255.255.0 See New Diagram Then not use computer 1 & 2 as routers ( or use two wifi access points instead) feed strait through to a computer that is only used for the looking after the school network from home. Then have a second smoothwall box so it feeds the internet through from school but makes my home network private. Do you think this will work ?. From Michael. -
Hello all. Sorry I did not say , But I want the programs to run in the back ground, but I do not want the pupils to open them from the system tray and change the settings. Michael
-
Hello all. Windows 2000 pro. I'm just trying to create my first user mandatory profile, but on setting up the user computer I need to remove items from the system tray, eg. zonealarm ,avg.quick time.icons. Can someone please advise. Michael
-
Default gateway settings etc. help please.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Hello all. Ric ..It did not work . I can ping from 172.16.1.10 to 176.16.1.1 but no further and ping from 192.168.0.11 to 176.16.1.2 and no further ?. DG Ip's On the DC server with ip of 192.168.0.10 ...I have the router DG ip of 192.168.0.11 Is that ok ?. On the router ( computer 1 ) with the lan ip of 192.168.0.11 ..I have the DC server DG ip of 192.168.0.10 is that ok ?. Still on computer 1 (router) with the wifi network adapter ip of 176.16.1.1 ...I have the DG ip of 176.16.1.2 Is that ok ?. (the other wifi adapter) On computer 2 on my diagram, the wifi network adapter of 176.16.1.2 .. I have the other wifi adapters ip of 176.16.1.1 for the DG, is that ok ?. Still on computer 2 ( router ) on the other network adapter with the ip of 172.16.1.10 I have left it blank like you said . -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Plexer.. The smoothwall box is sending out the internet from its proxy setting of 192.168.0.1 and that works on all computers on the school side of the wifi link. ( on the two routers computer 1 & 2 .... I have NAT and Relay agent enabled ). BEN I WILL SEND YOU A PM about access points. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Gatt... Yes It would but I'm on dial up sometimes as low as 9Kbps. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- networkGeezer I have permission to use the new broadband connection from school and I hope to run the network from home (well that's the idea). From Michael. -
Default gateway settings etc. help please.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Hi. As you can see from my diagram its not straight forward, it is two networks joined via a wifi link. (or does that make in three networks) ?. You say set DHCP on the server but I have and I do not know/understand what these default gateways setting should be, If I did set some up Via DHCP I can have the workstations to get them automatically but what about the one's on the two routers and there USB network adapters, what do I set them to ?. And what do I set the DG on the server ?. Michael. -
Default gateway settings etc. help please.
tickmike replied to tickmike's topic in Wireless Networks
Thanks image now works ..great... note. that the school has no part of any LEA networks we are private and all on our own. -
Hello all . edit... I HAVE RE-SET THE ATTACHMENT HOPE YOU CAN NOW SEE IT. edit end I have now taken the W2K server over to school late last night and starting to set it up but need some Help with Setting up the computer NIC's properties page on each computer. If anyone could have a look at my diagram and give me some advice on setting up the default gateways on the various parts please. Also do all the DNS entries point to my Dns server on 192.168.0.10 ?. All the network has a SNM of 255.255.255.0 I'm using a proxy on smoothwall 192.168.0.1 do I have to put this address on any of above ?. The Ip address range for my home network is it right ?. Michael.
-
Hi. I tried run>mstsc etc. But it said in could not find it ?...Do I have to install it or turn it on ? is it on windows 2000 server and W2K workstations ? ... that's on XP only ? Tight VNC is a GUI remote desktop and I have tried it out on my experimental wifi link to school / home (150mts.) last night and it seemed good. I have not got a USB keyboard but I have a spare 2 way KVM electronic switch I could hook on it, if I did use this, you say I could safely log out and leave it like that and use KVM to change onto other office computer. "Put server up high", well I called this an office bit more like office / junk store room and no space than the desk next to the office computer. 'john over 6ft' you would not get in !!!.
-
Hello All. Yet another question about this W2k.. 'HP.. LP 2000 Netserver server' I doing for the school. As I said in an old post the only place for the server in this very small school is in the office on the desk, But with the pupils having access to it.( age 4 to 11 ). My questions are:- 1..Do I have to log on for it to work ? .. eg. switch it on > boot > log on > leave running 24/7 . 2..Or when I have it set up can I log off.?. 3.. Do I need to have the key board and mouse and a monitor plugged in ?. (or shall I just try it later on today with out them to see?). 4.. Thinking of unplugging floppy/cd rom drives and the switch / reset buttons are under a flap which I was going to seal with a label. 5.. Do you use any GUI like 'Tight VNC' to access the server from another part of your network. Thanks Michael..
-
Advice on Setting up a Server 2003 domain at home.
tickmike replied to Kyle's topic in How do you do....it?
Hi Kyle. From all my posts in the last few weeks you can probably tell I'm in it at the deep end . I'm setting up a windows 2000 server for the first time for real for this charity run school, I set up and look after all there network for free . I first set up W2k server software on an old Pentium 1 ( 250Mhz) just to see how to set it all up . just did one bit at a time and if it did not work I went to the built in 'help' files and had a another go. My home test network is: W2K adv. server.Two workstations. second W2K server set up as a router ( just to see how it worked) they feed through a 4 way KVM switch in to one 17" monitor. also two other old computers I can set up for testing things. Old pen. 1 set up with Smoothwall (firewall) and a 8 way switch . so you do not need any thing fancy it works well with old gear for my testing purposes. I also found before I was told about this site, if you put the bit you want to set up into 'google' eg. for DNS you would put something like ..... "setting up DNS on a Windows 2003 server" and you will find some useful setting up tips. From Michael. -
Hello all. Re ChrisH. Thanks but I know that . What I want to say is if a new pupils comes to school and we want to log them on to the system, then I do what you said above, then you just put there name in fill a password in and log them on .then I do not want to spend the next half hour configuring there user settings. The bit I wanted to know about how do I set up a default user account (with all the things set up?). Re Plexer.. I think I will go for your second one It sounds easier to me . ( I've allot on my plate at the moment with at the mods I'm doing on the school network and I do it for free ..must be mad. :x ) I have tried to burn an ghost image to CD a few weeks ago but it would not fit on one CD and it would not let me put it on two disks. Did not try DVD because we do not have any DVD readers at school. Just one thing 'Sysprep' what is it and were is it located ?. From Michael.
-
Hello all. Well can anyone beat this ?. On my home BT dialup just had a 12Kbps connection (9Kbps was my lowest last year). So what I do is disconnect then reconnect 24 the did same 36 once more 45.2Kbps and that's about the best we get 3 miles from the exchange. From Michael.
-
Hello all. So what I have done on one workstation is a full reinstall,then service packs updates etc. ,and installed office and other software, set up all my administration short cuts and desktop on my setting. Then I have set-up one user account and set up firefox etc. would that be the stage you ghost it to the server ( I've got one drive just for backup's / ghost image's). I still have to install the DC / server yet, so when I have it installed in the school if I then try to install (one at a time) to three computers I have put new hard drives in and have basic W2K installed, is it at this stage I have to use 'ghostwalker' to change the sid's...(and do I give it the computer name at this stage) then I join them to the domain ...Then what ?. Does anyone know the page on this site that gives a guide of setting up new user accounts ?..so you can configure them, save it and when you have a new user you do not need to go through all the setting again . From Michael.
-
Hello . No staff personal PC's, just the staff and some parents use the office one for admin and email etc. Very small school with 30 PC's and run by the parents with three teachers. Its Hotmail for the school email, unfortunately one of the teachers set it up just after the school went on the internet instead of letting me set one up with our ISP. !. And what the teachers personal email accounts are I have no idea. With having av and firewalls on each workstation I hope if they did open a bad email it will contain it to the one PC.?. Or would it be a good idea to ask/tell them to only use the office PC for emails ? Regards Michael.
-
Hi. The pupils are not allowed email so that's not a problem. no email server. And for the teachers I set up outlook express on the office computer but they will insist on using the web browser access to there emails in the class after school . Is that a security risk ?. Michael
-
Hi. Re. Guess what? It's my wedding anniversary. 6 years! Well done to ajbritton. Gosh how old do I feel at 57 ?, I remember when I first looked around the Railway Research labs when I got a job there, with all the number crunching they did they had some of the first IBM computers also a main frame computer that filled about five rooms of course card input and miles of 'fan fold' paper out put (I think I'm still using some old scraps of the endless read outs). Funny that must have put me off computers until I started helping at this school 7 years ago when one of the teachers said I could use one of the computers ( did not have a clue !!! ). Michael
-
Hi . Re Itwombat . If you read the last bit of the post....reboot with operating system cd > install> format NTFS>etc... Important bit FORMAT TO NTFS not fat/fat32 . I've just used what I had lying about. From Michael . Ps... Plexer have you got a link please.
-
Thanks. I edited the above It should Have been win98 boot disk. Re "plexer" I find that sometimes that If you have something nasty on the drive its best to use win98 boot via floppy /usb stick then 'FDISK' delete >install 'DOS' drive > re boot with boot disk in >Format C:\>take out boot disk >reboot with operating system cd > install> format NTFS>etc... (Hope this is useful for other newbie's as well). Also to 'Mark' great I will look in to the sites But your last one says its going to be Discontinued soon. From Michael.
-
Hello Everyone. Thanks for that info ( As I had said before this is a great site) You have just saved this charity a big chunk of money (all money to run the school comes from the parents raising it with non from the government) Re "plexer" Being an ex scientist I'm willing to try this 'clamwin' AV on the server . At home I downloaded it and then installed it on my 'test server' did the updates then a scan...all seems ok. I know I should not but its a charity, I use AVG ,Zonealarm,SpywareBlaster,Spy-bot,Adaware,A Squared (free ones) on each workstation. AVG, Spy-bot do auto updates . As an experiment for about 6 months I have only been using 'SpywareBlaster' to look after the spy/malware (you can get a commercial version with auto updates) then using 'Adaware and Spy-bot' to check the results . Conclusion only getting odd one or two things getting through.Also A-squared seems good as well, Re "ric" I was thinking of trying Ipcop is it easy to configure just trying smoothwall. Regards Michael.
-
Happy Birthday to you as well GEOFF From Michael .
