Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

tickmike

Members
  • Posts

    396
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by tickmike

  1. Seasonal Greetings. My Daughter (13) has had an MP3 player for xmas, 1, Is there a good Free Source of downloadable tunes ?. ...Not file sharing please.. 2, On the box it says "your operating system must be Fat 16/32 " I use NTFS ! Has anyone come across this before or will it work ok ?. Michael.
  2. Seasonal Greetings. Problem solved. With this error message "cannot connect on to citrix metaframe sever.. proxy connection failed the configured proxy server refused to establish a connection. click ok" I thought It was my new 'Smoothwall' firewall and proxy that was causing this problem, >How wrong could I be.< This is how I solved the problem, I built a new machine up as a test computer, put the OS on it (W2K pro) and service packs and updates, Opened IE6, logged on to my daughters school ok, then on to the secure homework site clicked on MS Word, then got the same error message as above. I did a check of my setting in.... Start>Control>Internet Options>Connections>Lan Settings>Advanced>Exceptions.."DO NOT USE PROXY SERVER FOR THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS'S BEGINNING WITH" ..... I put in the schools IP address and then tried the above test again AND IT WORKED ( fell of chair ... put flags out... 6 weeks of trying different things to get it working ). So I went to one of my home network computers reconfigured the IE6 settings and it worked, so now I tried Firefox and Opera Browsers and they worked ok with out changing any settings. Thanks for all who helped. Regards Michael.
  3. Re...Tom said smoothwall isn't going to block outbound ports by default. No I agree But the problem is all these random ports form the schools citrix server 45674,45675,45676,45677,45678,48413,48444, 51302, 51298,51305,51301,51504,51505. it wants to connected to my firewall, as Ric pointed out .
  4. It's not fair to say that they NEED to upgrade... . What I mean is can you just do an free update (like you update windows or your anti virus) . you can tell I know nothing about Citrix products.! :oops:
  5. Not sure if there are different versions of telnet ( I use W2K ) but I found out I had to put "open" in front of the school ip eg open (school ip address) 1494 Then it WORKED I could Telnet through my smooth box to port 1494. OK but what does this prove ?.
  6. Thanks for replies... cybernerd , thanks for offer Tom and Ric see below What I have tried today . Connected to internet via Broadband router (public IP) and computer with software firewall (no smoothwall) could connect to school site ok >log on to school at home ok no problems ! Then tried telnet > open (school ip) port 1494 = failed So now tried on DIAL-UP on a Different ISP. connected to school ok > school at home ok Then tried telnet > open (school ip) port 1494 = failed Then tried dial-up with smoothwall (another smoothie box ) connected to school site ok ..then school at home failed.. Ric I have opened port 443, 1494, 1604 my firewall has blocked these ports on different times I have tried to make a connection. 45674,45675,45676,45677,45678,48413,48444,51302,51298,51305,51301,51504,51505. So as a temporary solution if I open ports 40000 to 60000 on the school IP would that do the trick ?. I have sent the schools ICT manager a link to this post and said about there citrix software needs updating. Regards Michael.
  7. Hello. Because I was short of time I had to email the school ICT Systems Manager and all he can tell me was they are using Citrix Metaframe XP 1.0a I could not join the forum on 'citrix' site, you must have an account with them, but there seems to be problems with citrix and proxy connections. Remember I'm on the client end trying to access the citrix school homework server for my daughter to do her homework. My set up is BT phone line with ADSL>none NATing router set up with a set of public IP's > smoothwall firewall with proxy server > network switch> LAN > workstations with W2K Pro. using Firefox browser. Does any one know how to help me connect though my firewall and proxy to her school citrix server. Is the problem with the school ?. or is the problem with my firewall and proxy.?. please read through all the above post. From Michael.
  8. I will call to see him tomorrow because I'm going right past the school on my way to do some xmas shopping. Michael
  9. Its "MetaFrame presentation server web client for win 32 ica32t.exe" that's what I have installed the latest one , The school tech told me to update this the other week.
  10. Thankyou ..Ric have a guess were I was just, On the 'Citrix' forums (great minds think a like) I have come across other people on that forum having the same problem. The Technician at my daughters school said to me no body else is having problems, I bet I'm the only one that's got a good firewall and nobody else has a proxy server. I will keep you up to date with what I find as it may help other members . Michael.
  11. Hi Ric/cyberNerd Ric I have the citrix client installed and have port 443 enabled on my smooth box. CyberNerd It a long time since I have used Telnet, but I think I have used it correctly. and it said "could not open a connection to host on port 1494 connection failed" CyberNerd I have sent you a PM. I'm using a different computer than earlier ( this one does not have a soft-ware firewall installed ) . I have tried a connection in the normal manner to my daughters school and this time my smoothie has now blocked port 48413 and 48444 why so many different ports. (that's 7 with the ones on my first post ! ) Michael
  12. Hi Ric. Thanks for reply. I have just tried to access my daughters school from home, but no luck, I looked on my smoothwall proxy log its got there schools IP address and port 443 and a second entry with port 1494 and NO entries in the firewall blocking log. (but yesterday it was blocking the high port numbers ..odd.) Re. "In the ICA client settings it might be worth setting up the proxy info too. There is a tab called 'Firewall' or 'Proxy' or something." Do you mean on my smoothie ?. Or have they got to do this at her school ?. From Michael.
  13. Hello All, I need help accessing the school@home link to my daughters school ( its not the one I help ) . The problem at home I have 'smoothwall exp 2' firewall on my network and I cannot get her homework link working though smoothie to her school (It works ok with out smoothie in circuit ). I log on to her school, click the school@home link, Accept the security certificate, enter user name and password , click on say MS Word the citrix plug-in starts Then I get a error message.... "cannot connect on to citrix metaframe sever.. proxy connection failed the configured proxy server refused to establish a connection. click ok" On smoothwall >Networking>external services access .. I have set up 1..The school IP address and the port 1494 2..The school IP address and the port 443 But having tried it again and again then finding smoothie is blocking ports 45674,75,76,77 and 78 Do I have to enable all these ports or am I going about this wrong. I have asked the technician at her school ( one of our members ) but he does not not know about smoothwall. Regards Michael.
  14. Hello Again. At this moment in time the Space Shuttle is on its way to the International Space Station. http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html Have fun. Michael.
  15. Hello, Came across this web site that may be useful for schools and if you have children of your own that go on line. http://www.thinkuknow.co.uk Michael
  16. Hello, Ric, Re "I live too far from the exchange to get anything more than 512kbps". At home I live about 3.5Kl from the exchange and sync. about 6208kbps and get a though-put of about 4Mb which for me is ok. Ric, have you connected to the 'test socket' to see if you get a better connection. alonebfg, Re "but there con rate used to be 20:1 I don't know what it is now". At home I have gone on one the "Business" products and that is 20:1, so I get a good connection all day, when the other business's shut down for the day I get a good connection in the evening and night. At the school we have one of the other business products which is fine for its a very small school and we get a good connection. A leased line for this school is way over the top. Regards Michael.
  17. Hello All. From an earlier post I said I would get back and let you know how I have got on with Broadband supplier. My first experience with Broadband has been very smooth I chose "Eclipse" I Can Only Recommend Them. I believe they get 80% of there customers by recommendation and I think that must say something I have just gone on to Broadband 2 months ago, moved from BT Dial-up , I did some online research about ISP's and found that "Eclipse" http://www.eclipse.net.uk are owned by "Kingston Telecommunications" near Hull (100 years old) and they are an older tele coms business than BT with there own Network and back-hall pipes (that's the wires were the information is sent down ), "So I was thinking this maybe a better ISP than the rest". Well they told me it will take 5 days to connect me (It was only 4) and I have gone on a Business product and have been very pleased, I have send emails to there Technical and Customer support ( ALL English ) Not in some far off land and a reply comes back with in two days, (Or you can phone them). My main contact has been Dan Hall, his email address = danielDOThallATkcomDOTcom he has been very helpful and seems to go out of his way to help you, he even gave me a free phone number to call him on 0800 915 5999. They have a good background in supplying Homes, Business's, leased lines for Schools Etc. Michael. Ps Just tell Dan "tickmike" sent you and he will do his best to help you for schools or home.
  18. Hi Browolf. I use a Speedtouch 536v6. At Home My Set-up = ADSL.. BT Max via BT phone line 3.5Kl long>NTE5 Master socket face plate > Speedtoutch 536v6 Router (next to master socket) >RJ45 LAN cable to Smoothwall (firewall) http://www.smoothwall.org/ > LAN Switch>LAN>Home Network. I got some useful help from:- http://www.kitz.co.uk http://www.dslzoneuk.net http://forums.vnunet.com/index.jspa?categoryID=1 Join the Broadband forums . I use ECLIPSE isp and I would recommend them for school and home http://www.eclipse.net.uk Michael.
  19. Hi . This is interesting case. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6144782.stm Michael
  20. tickmike

    Root Kits

    Hello All. W2K Pro. What's your experience with 'Root Kits' and what tools do you use to test for and eliminate them if you find any. see about rootkits Regards Michael.
  21. Hello All. Just read this http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2168539/allchin-clarifies-antivirus. And also I have worked out what Vista stands for ! = Virus Infections Spyware Trojans Adaware From Michael.
  22. Hi . Have you seen Nasa TV ?... http://ww.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html I think it's the education channel. That has school children talking about space etc. Also on Nasa TV you can look what's happening in the space station, its on about each day but remember the time zone which is 5 hours behind Greenwich Mean Time. also some good links from this page. http://www.nasa.gov/about/sites/index.html We have a chap in our village that worked for Nasa. Have you taken your daughter to National Space Centre in Leicester ?. http://www.spacecentre.co.uk/ That's a great place and if you have time walk out of the car park to the Abby Pumping station next door, that's just as good. Michael.
  23. Saw this on another forum.. 1) Navigate to a web browser of your choice and open a web page. 2) Copy the following code and then paste into your browsers address bar. javascript:R=0; x1=.1; y1=.05; x2=.25; y2=.24; x3=1.6; y3=.24; x4=300; y4=200; x5=300; y5=200; DI=document.getElementsByTagName("img"); DIL=DI.length; function A(){for(i=0; i-DIL; i++){DIS=DI[ i ].style; DIS.position='absolute'; DIS.left=(Math.sin(R*x1+i*x2+x3)*x4+x5)+"px"; DIS.top=(Math.cos(R*y1+i*y2+y3)*y4+y5)+"px"}R++}setInterval('A()',5); void(0); 3. click the go button. 4. refresh to get out of it. Michael.
  24. Sorted thanks for your help.
×
×
  • Create New...