F_admin
Members-
Posts
56 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by F_admin
-
Hi All :-) I'm in the process of setting up a start menu redirect for our laptops - I've created folders in a share which has pulled through to the laptop. However, there are still loads of default windows apps that remain on the start menu (i.e. 3D Viewer, Calendar, Camera, Cortana etc.) most of which I've blocked via. GPO - but is there a GPO object or another way I can move these into one folder or hide them completely from students? I've attached an image of the start menu below :-) Cheers, Fraser
-
Thanks so much for this! @jthompson I've gotten to the point where I need to generate the .mst, so I've downloaded v11 of the Adobe Customization Wizard; however, when I go to "Open Package" in the Install folder (AcroRead.msi), it states "Wizard cannot modify this MSI Package, browse to a valid adobe reader or adobe acrobat msi package." Should I revert to v10? Really appreciate the help. :-) EDIT: I've found a version of the Wizard that is compatible - I'll crack on and edit the .MST - thanks again!
- 3 replies
-
- adobe
- adobe reader
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Currently looking for an MSI for the latest free version of Adobe Reader - does anyone have a source for this? Thanks, Fraser
- 3 replies
-
- adobe
- adobe reader
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Hi All :-) Just a quick query to sanity check that I'm right before plodding ahead. I want to secure our QNAP NAS Box onsite with an SSL Cert. Now, at the moment I only access them by entering [http:// devicename : port] into a web address and that works fine. However, I want to apply our wildcard cert (which applies to schoolname.org.uk, for example) BUT I only want this NAS device accessible internally. My train of thought was to create a Forward Lookup DNS record so that NASBox.schoolname.org.uk) points to the IP Address of the NAS Box and then apply the SSL Cert in the web config of the NAS For it to be accessible externally I'd have thought a firewall rule would need to be in place, which naturally I wouldn't create in this instance. Is there anything I'm missing here or is it simple as that? Thanks, F_admin
-
It worked, so thanks very much :-)
-
Thank you so much! I will give this a try later and try importing the results.
-
Sounds like InTune is the way to go, as we're an Office 365 school. I'm going to test it with a few licences (at 0.49p a month I'm told! £5.88 annually) Here's hoping we won't need InTune for another COVID lockdown, but irrespective of COVID being able to manage our devices and so on will be brilliant. I've managed to find an agreement online and have edited it to suit our requirement. Hopefully this will mean that people will take it a bit more seriously.
-
Hi All :-) I'm currently trying to import drivers for our new(ish) government laptops (HP 255 G7 Laptops) into MDT. I've created a new folder in our MDT folder hierarchy (Deployment Share > Out-of-box Drivers > HP 255 G7 Notebook) and I'm currently trying to import about 5 .exe drivers into this folder. When I try the 'Import Drivers' function and select the local folder where the drivers reside (C:\Drivers for instance) and attempt to import them; they don't appear in MDT? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm at a bit of a loss. Thanks, F_Admin
-
During this coronavirus pandemic, how are you all managing your remote Windows devices? For example, Laptops that are in the hands of students or teachers. Do you use MDM? I ask this as someone who is not too clued in on the topic. I've been told Microsoft InTune is a good option - is this sufficient/overkill, or are there other viable options available? As a sidenote - how are you *trying* to ensure you receive these laptops back? My first thought is a written agreement where the student/parent (main area of concern here, rather than staff) signs an agreement to return device at set date, with the knowledge that devices that aren't returned are paid for. Not quite sure how enforceable this would be (in this day and age probably not enforceable at all, and nor would schools have the backbone to enforce it) but its worth an ask. Cheers, F_Admin
-
This topic is very much on my mind also, and with end-of-year budget deadlines looming the topic is getting more rushed.. In turn the SLT are just suggesting 'just buy laptops', but as we can all agree it isn't as simple as that - there are many considerations to be made. Quick query though - say these laptops are domain joined (of course), and a second wave comes around (ie. staff aren't onsite for a long time), do we just bank on the users being able to login with their locally-cached domain credentials? Or is there a smarter way of laptops being able to authenticate your AD credentials from their home network? Thanks, Fraser
-
In this instance both of the user accounts I've tested with are local profiles, as these are exam, non-domain joined laptops. I installed Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Reader DC, and the results were the same (I made sure the .pdf default was changed to Adobe also)
-
Hi Both, As ass17 says, .NET is preinstalled on 1909 - but I have installed C++ runtime I'll DM you the video recording, ass17. Thanks, F_Admin
-
Thanks for such a prompt reply - I'll download a pdf viewer on the VM, as it doesn't have one installed currently and I'll try again. If that doesn't work I'll create a video of the process - knowing Microsoft I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue on their side :-)
-
I seem to have an issue relating to ExamWritepad, where when I open the .exe (as a shortcut on the desktop) - it opens up a window and states the below: 'Search for app in the Store?''You need to install an app for this task.Would you like to search for one in the store?' If I click 'No' then the application opens which is fine, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. This is on a VM (soon to be exam build) running Windows 10 x64 1909 I've amended the local group policy to remove the option to look for apps in store (as per. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/91453-remove-look-app-store-open-windows-10-a.html ) but to no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated! P.S. Thanks for providing a brilliant exam tool, you are a saviour! F_Admin
-
[1809, ou] 'Map Network Drive' Button greyed out for all non-admins
F_admin replied to F_admin's topic in Windows 10
That was it! It was enabled within our Win10 Staff GPO, I've now disabled it and all is well, thanks very much! -
[1809, ou] 'Map Network Drive' Button greyed out for all non-admins
F_admin posted a topic in Windows 10
Hi All, As per. the title, currently on our most recent 1809 build only admins are able to manually map drives. How would I go about amending this so that Staff can map drives manually if they wish? Would this be a GPO edit, or is this ingrained in the build itself? Thanks, F_admin -
Just to add, I get the exact same problem with one single user. Deleting his roaming profile locally on his teaching room machine(s) and deleting the roaming data from his profile appears to resolve the issue temporarily, for a few months until it happens again. What would this suggest?
-
[ms office - 2016] Outlook 2016 - Delegated Account Issue..
F_admin replied to F_admin's topic in Office Software
Interesting. Admittedly since the issue arose I haven't dedicated much time to it - I'll look into permissions/rights for the affected users. -
[ms office - 2016] Outlook 2016 - Delegated Account Issue..
F_admin posted a topic in Office Software
Hi All, Currently facing some difficulty setting up a delegated account onto another Outlook users account. I am able to do the following: > Add Account Manually via. File > Add Account > I'm then prompted to enter ID/Password, and through the menus click 'Finish' > Once done, I can then see the account on the list of inboxes assigned to my account This has worked on one machine, however others have failed, with the below issue. Whenever I click on the account to expand the folders, I receive one of two errors: Note: Having followed that file path, it appears that the .ost file is 0kb in size, which I do not understand. OR: I've tried deleting the account and readding, deleting the .ost etc. but nothing works. Has anyone else had a similar issue? If so, how did you resolve this? Thanks, F_admin
