-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
As reported here, N2H2 (a weak but widely sold into schools web URL filter) has been collecting information about the school children's web surfing habits. Not only that they have sold the information to marketeers and website owners for $15,000 per year. This amounts to N2H2 being simply Spyware and people are being urged to rid the schools of the software. We were already in the process of removing it but this just compunds it.
-
Applied it Monday last week and so far no probs. One huge bonus is the great move towards mobile email, we have around 30 PDA's which all now get email syncs on the move around the school wirelessly and in near real-time. It was a total mare to get it running correctly pre SP2
-
@ ChrisH: I'll look for the dll, thanks for the pointer. @ geoff: nice adm template however I have all those blocked already (2003 GPO) although the USB could come in handy. Thanks Guys
-
I'm back, Disabled CD vis GPO lets see how that gets em going. :-)
-
Yeah I agree when they are broke they are not getting replaced however the are still a large number of machines that have cd drives in them. Hmm just had a thought, i'll be back.......
-
Does anyone know how to stop / disable the cd ripping features in WM10 via GPO Also the same for real player but not as urgent.
-
I use the same thing. The way that I installed it was via GPO but you will need to repackage it into an MSI file before you can do that. For repacakging I use Masai which is very easy to use and can be found here Then it just a case of pushing it out via GPO.
-
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am taking GrumbleDook's option to use Software Restriction Policies and flip things on thier head bt denying everything and only allow the apps I want them to use. I have set up a 3 machince testing network to try it out, once I am happy with it I'll rollout across the school.
-
Using software restriction policies is the way to go but due to the number of legitimate programs installed it would take some time to work out and test the policies to ensure that other programs are "Not Blocked". What I am after is just a way to stop them installing anything at all as a quick fix untill I can fully test the software policies
-
Hi All, Just wondered how (if you do) restrict the little bliters from installing anything on the PC's? We already restrict anything from being downloaded of the web but we have had a small group of kids bringing stuff in on Pen Drives and installing from there. Any pointers would be apreciated.
-
@ Chris: I managed to do it, after some digging. and this is how: There is a file called lang.en within this file there are a number of variables set, what you are looking for is: $vocab["rep_type_6"] = "n-Weekly"; Change this to: $vocab["rep_type_6"] = "Bi-Weekly"; Now when adding a booking that will take place on week 1 and 3 you will need to ensure that the Bi-Weekly option is selected and on that the field "Number of weeks (for n-weekly)" has the number 2 in it. When added you will see that the booking has been made for that week skipped the next one and added on the one after. I agree that the field names are not the best but I am looking into changing those so they are more meaningful but that just a matter of choice really.
-
we have used it foe over a year now. I have just got my Class server v4 CD but will only run on Win 2k3 but intergrates fully with sharepoint via the use of custom webparts. Sharpoint is on the same server as class server and is our central resource for all things. I have it setup so depending on your OU (Teachers / Students) you will see a different home page. All document storeage is within sharepoint apart from class server which has it's own method of storage but this may have changed in V4 Shout if you need anything... ;-)
-
I Have but only found references to a module being created for it but no real how to do it...
-
Hi All, After 2 days of messing about I finally got MRBS working on Windows 2k3. My question is this, it ias great that you can setup periods but can MRBS handle a 2 week timetable? If anyone has got it setup for this could you please let me know hoe it is done. Many thanks.
-
@Tosca: Thanks for the link i'll look into it over the week and see what I can come up with. I'll shout if I need any further points in the right direction. Have never used Wininstall LE ($49.99) is this the same Wininstall LE that comes with windows 2000 server in the valueadded folder (that ones free)
-
Tosca: I am planning to deploy the software directly to the machinces and not the users, now correct me if I am wrong but my understanding is that when the PC is booted at some point during the boot up process the GP will kick in and the assigned software is installed, correct? If this is the case are the installs then silent? Also what are you using to create your own MSI's
-
Hi All, Looking to find out how you guys deploy software throught the school via GPO. This is something I want to get up and running at our place but have not really gone into it that much. Looking for experiences, ease of use, how you handle legacy non .MSI files (i.e. old .exe's) Any help would be great.
-
@ mattpant: Go here --> http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=441 I had attached a complete group policy list of all available settings under 2000 / 2003 / XP. That should help you with what you need.
-
@ RobC: Have you setup RBL's and SBLs in Ex 2003? This would lighten some of the SPAM issues you have. Look Here --> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823866
-
Scrub that I have just had a good read, Geoff is correct and I am not (-; Never mind !
-
Also you will find that the GPL licence requires that all software that uses any source code under the GPL licence must be given away free under the GPL licence. So in general if you use any code that has been sourced from GPL and add it to a project that you have done and wish to profit from it, even donations, then you can't.
-
@Dos_box: No it does not it is based on the original concept of the script that Ric did but none of the code has been used at all.
-
Dos_Box, I agree with what yuou say but if you place code up online, open for all to see you are in effect saying "Use it". I f someone then takes that code and modifies it to fit thier particular purpose then that is fair game, remember not every script or code snippet is going to fit everyones needs. However if a sxript or code snippt is posted and the auther has expressly said that it can only be used in it's original form that is a different matter, with that in mind we are all here to help one and other and if someone has a problem with other people using and / or amending a script / code snippet then maybe they should think twice before posting it. I my self have no problem with anyone using code that I post, if it helps them go get it......
-
@ChrisH: I agree you can query the AD but that requires special permissions and although you can impersonate in some cases a username and password must be supplied. Not happy about providing those in plain text. @Ric_ & Gecko: I am testing the script within the school now and will post up later today.
-
Geoff, I am aware about the USB ports, but to date we have not had any issues.
