Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ICTNUT

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    1,433
  • Joined

Everything posted by ICTNUT

  1. @alonebfg: How/where have you set the local proxy GPO to nothing (this is ideally what I need to do) Have you done this locally on each PC?? (we have 600 of them) Or have you done this via GPO?? (if so we have a GPO policy for proxy setup but as they are pulling the NIC cables out the GPO settings are NOT being applied.....
  2. It would seem that if you pull the NIC cable out before you logon then the cached logon count setting works however seeing as the kids are waiting for logon and then just before the profile is brought down then they pull the cable, wait for the profile error message, then put the cable back in this setting does nothing. The corrupt policy setting also does not work as the profile is not being classed as corrupt just "not available" This is becoming a pain in the a$£* to sort out.....
  3. @ajbritton You are correct, I went back to basics last night and did some testing on a VMServer I have and this worked. I have put this in place this morning and will again test this afternoon.
  4. Please NOTE: there is an issue within ISA 2004 that if you use upstream proxies (there is the ability to forward all traffic to an upstream proxy) then local http traffic does not work, please see the KB article below: Potential issue with local web traffic and the webproxy.dll filter in isa. See the proxy loop issue. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/isa/2004/plan/ts_proxy_traffic.mspx This affectd me when I wanted to publish our web server and Sharepoint server. Took a while to find it....
  5. I have just been through GPO revising some of the settings and have addedd the following to the list: Computer Config >> Admin Templates >> System >> User Profiles: Delete Cached Copies of roaming profiles (Enabled) also use delprof (NEW) Wait for remote user profile (enabled) (NEW) Log user off when roaming profile fails (enabled) I am going to wait for GPO ito update across the doamin and then try it with our test users, i'll let you know how it goes.
  6. Hi All, I have just found that if a student logs onto a PC and at the right moment pulls the network cable out not only does the mandatory profile fail to load but he/she is the logged on locally with FULL access under a TEMP profile. None of our user have local profiles and the deny logonlocally GPO setting has been set but windows seems to think that: a) the user has part authenticated on the domain b) the user does no have a local profile so what the heck I'll create one for them c)i'll give them full access to the PC also. Although they have bog standard user rights on the PC it does however allow them to bypass the proxy filtering we have setup which is also a pain. My question is first and foremost does anyone know how to disable the temp profile from being created?? and not let them logon locally Any help as always apreciated.........
  7. To keep it short and sweet as this has been covered many times here already, but I have a hidden share on our NAS server called profiles$ within this is a set of profiles for students, teachers, etc. Within AD under the user properties -> profile I point this at the profiles share and ensure it is the students one that is loaded. Local profiles ARE NOT CREATED and as it is mandatory and read only its the same for each student. if you want more info on profiles and the differences between them check out --> http://www.russdev.com/edugeek/doku.php?id=different_types_of_profile
  8. @Kyle When I did my 270 (back end of last year) I found most of the questions where based around NTFS and Windows Share permissions this caught out alot of people as they were expecting NTFS only so you have to know what impcats what permissions and the overall effective permissions based on a given ruleset. They are very sly in the questions so just make sure you really read the question, saying that if you have been supporting desktops for more that a year you should have most of it covered.
  9. @Kyle While I do have a mandatory profile mine are not roaming and with a combination of desktop lockdowns via GPO they can NOT save or change anything on the desktop. With regard to stopping file types in home directories I currently do not have R2 so the file screening is not an option but for the last 18 months I have been using a server product called SRM SpaceGuard via policies which can be setup for the students is filetype control simply specify the filetypes apply the policy and hey presto no more file saving. You can get info from http://www.tools4ever.com/products/spaceguard/ and at a cost of £399 less educational discount (ask for or you won't get it) it was a no brainer for me.
  10. It depends on how you have your PC's named. For example our PCs are named as -- So the simplest thing would be to create a single VB script the gets the PC name and then by looping through a select statement match the PC namr to the printer specified for that PC/Room. I have then added this script to our Student GPO so at logon the script runs and the printers are added on a room by room basis.
  11. ICTNUT

    MCP or MCSA advice

    I have found that those of us that have been in the industry for a few years will find the 70-270 a breeze however those of you coming in fresh (under 12 months of experience) will find it abit daunting. They say the 2 exams that are the hardest and most intense are the 70-270 and the 70-291 purely becouse of the amount that they cover, it's not some much depth of cover but more breadth of cover, there is just so much you have to cover for the exams. But good luck to anyone how decides to go for it, it is well worth in the end.
  12. Quackers: Have you got the link to it, I have been looking for this for a while as we use class server 4 and sharepoint extensively here.
  13. Quackers: Have you got the link to it, I have been looking for this for a while as we use class server 4 and sharepoint extensively here.
  14. SIMS will not run over a TS connection this is due to it's heavy use of DBASE flat files (FMS) and 16bit applications which TS does not take well to. We are just in the process of sorting out remote access and this was one of the tests performed and failed badly.
  15. NS Optimum (hears swears under his breath) I have had no end of problems with these guys, have never ordered from them they just keep calling, emailing, faxing, sending smoke signals...... I once asked for a company called VLAN to quote for some kit I wanted they went bust and NS bought them and I guess details of clients/potential clients and that was it, my hell began. I have not heard from them so far but I guess it's only time
  16. Hi guys, Sorry have not checked here for a while as it has been a bit busy towards the end of term, anyhow in reply to: and I do not use MS in built quota stuff as I feel it is not flexible enough so I bought a bit of software called SpaceGuard available at http://www.tools4ever.com/products/spaceguard/ and I believe I got it for £360 It is a really nice bit of kit as you simply create your quota profile i.e. 20mb hard drive space, pop up at 50%, email at 80%, revoke access at 100%, and then apply it to your folders. Now if you cahnge your quota it updates realtime to all flder that have the quota applied to it but the really neat thing is controlling what users can store by simply specifyinh the banned file extensions and hey presto no more MP3's ;-) It comes with a free client tool, deployed via hidden network share, which allows users to check thier quota, after 4 months of putting it in no more storage nightmares.
  17. When you say HTML shortcuts you mean standard web based html links if this is the case then you can as the page itself renders as a html page. Have a play with the BGInfo GUI there are a lot of settings you can use, the actual desktop background is pushed out via bginfo as well.
  18. I stand corrected, Smart-e (the poeple that do vga over cat5e) did do an internal 6 port card for the Net Top Box but have pulled that due to "Issues" So here goes, If I want to run 6 screens around the school it would cost: £1395 for the net top box £499 for the 5 port vga to cat5e transmitter (i want to run six screens so I need 2 of them) £279 for the single port receiver (I need six of these) £4043 is the total plus screens and mounts. Seems a little pricey to me.
  19. £1395 For a Net top Box (Digital Ready) Just spoke to them, transmitts VGA over cat5e too ;-)
  20. You could use BGInfo. I use it for this exact purpose and it is really easy to setup. First create a shared folder which the students have read and execute permissions on and put the BGInfo executable into it. Next and the following to the logon script you have for the students: [script] net use y: \\SERVER\BGInfo y:\bginfo.exe \\DOMAIN\SYSVOL\DOMAIN\scripts\students.bgi /timer:0 net use y: /del [/script] What this will do is is map a drive at logon execute BGInfo.exe and then remove the mapped drive. All you need to do then is configure the desktop to display what you want, I have named mine students.bgi and place it in the path above. NOTE: you need to replace SERVER and DOMAIN with your own See attached screen cap of our desktop BGInfo can be found here http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/BgInfo.html
  21. Hey all, Ihave been asked to look into setting up a number of screens around the school to display daily info. Just wondering how you guys do it, if you do that is !
  22. Ok Bootable DVD it is then, however, does anyone have any good FAQ guides that they can point me at so I can work out how to use ghost and get an image off. Total noob when it comes to this ghost thing
  23. Hi all, Being the first to admit never ever using ghost before, I now have the need to. Our music PC's are stand alone and off netwrok and are in real need of rebuilding, I want to image the drive to a hidden partition so if anything goes bad I can simply go in and "Restore it". Seeing as ghost seems to be the best thing for this and the fact that the school has a copy of it lying around I would like to know how you guys do it. Answers on a postcard...........
  24. We user laserBit to cover from our main building to our port-a-classes. The distance is 150m and we run 15 pc's over the laser link at a continual 100Mbs without any degradation from weather or low flying birds. The Pinto will gaurantee 100Mb up to 250m but if you require something a little more powerfull you can go up to 1Gb over 1Km (WOW!) The only requirement is you must have clear line of site at both ends and it must be mounted where people can not look directly into the path of the laser. Info can be found here --> http://www.cablemanstore.co.uk/#home They currently have an offer on which can be found on the front home page.
  25. We use RIS to do our basic installs and get the base image done. See here for setup and scripts used for programs: http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=16630#16630 Any additional software required would be sent out via AD using GPO and MSI's, in some case a new package may be required due to legacy installers.
×
×
  • Create New...