-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
Is there any kind of favour'd spec for a PC for this purpose?? I am looking at filtering around 2000 mailboxes, I do not yet know what kind of bandwidth or throughput this will take or the actual message load but hey it's kids we are talking about here so it bound to be high. I am thinking of installing onto a PC with the following: AMD 2400+ 18Ghz 1gb Ram 80Gb HD Intel MoBo Dual intel NICs <-- Do I really need 2 of these??
-
Cheers Geoff. I am going to be building a test box today so I may post at sometime if I run into trouble ;-)
-
@Cybernerd: Thanks for the pointers and I will take a look at MailScanner as suggested.
-
Hello all, I am fed up with the level of SPAM that seems to be hitting my Excahnge server these days so as a new year resolution I have decided to install/implement a SPAM/AV solution. I have come up with two options: 1 - FreeBSD & SPAMAssassin 2 - Proxmox (http://www.proxmox.com/) What I want to know is if I decide to go down the FreeBSD route how does SPAMAssassin route emails into the Exchange Server?? MTA possibly?? I know Proxmox is "Real" easy to install but i think that the freebsd option will give me more flexabiltiy. Any pointers or help would be great especially if you have this kind of solution in place already.
-
Attached is the Excel spreadsheet I use to create and modify the users. I have placed comments troughout so it should be faiely straight forward but give me a shout if you get stuck.
-
We have around 600 PC's and 120 Laptops with around 60 users on ThinClient and we have only 2 DC's for the lot. They hardly break a sweat although they are Dual Xeon with 2Gb Ram so that helps abit
-
Which will it be The Red Pill or the Blue Pill???? Argghh the choices......
-
Grab it while you can guys 'n' gals Clinic 2801: Microsoft® Security Guidance Training I Summary: This online clinic provides students with introductory knowledge and skills essential for the design and implementation of a secure computing environment. It also provides students with prescriptive guidance on security update management and best practices for implementing security on Microsoft Windows® server and client computers. Audience: IT Pro Available Offline: Yes Price: Free, 180-day subscription Clinic 2802: Microsoft® Security Guidance Training II Summary: This online clinic builds on existing knowledge of server and client security and provides students with the knowledge and skills to apply best practices to implement perimeter and network defenses and enhance security for applications and Microsoft® Windows Server System™ components. It also provides students with prescriptive guidance to enhance security for Microsoft Windows® server and client computers and practical strategies for implementing security for wireless networks. Audience: IT Pro Available Offline: Yes Price: Free, 180-day subscription Clinic 2803: Microsoft® Security Guidance Training III Summary: This online clinic builds on existing knowledge of server and client security and provides students with the knowledge and skills to apply security best practices for Microsoft® Exchange Server and to use Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004 to improve security at the network perimeter. It also provides students with prescriptive guidance to implement layered defenses against malicious software and measures to increase security for Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0 and Windows® 98 network clients. Audience: IT Pro Available Offline: Yes Price: Free, 180-day subscription Clinic 2804: Microsoft® Security Guidance Training IV Summary: This online clinic provides students with prescriptive guidance that builds on their knowledge of security essentials to help them improve security for their infrastructures. Audience: IT Pro Available Offline: Yes Price: Free, 180-day subscription Clinic 2808: Microsoft® Security Guidance Training V Summary: This clinic builds on existing knowledge of server and client security and provides students with the knowledge and skills to apply best practices to securing Microsoft® Exchange Server clients, protecting e-mail and data content, securing services and critical accounts, and securing administrative accounts and remote access using smart cards. Audience: IT Pro Available Offline: Yes Price: Free, 180-day subscription Clinic 2855: Managing Security Enhancements in Windows Server™ 2003 Service Pack 1 Summary: This online clinic will show systems administrators and system engineers how to implement, deploy, support, and configure Windows Server 2003 SP1 security enhancements. It will provide in-depth information on the security changes in SP1 over previous versions. Audience: IT Pro Available Offline: Yes Price: Free, 180-day subscription All available here --> https://www.microsoftelearning.com/catalog/security.aspx
-
LIMITED TIME ONLY - FREE MICROSOFT TRAINING
ICTNUT replied to ICTNUT's topic in Courses and Training
As of 31st December 2006 Microsoft have officially with drawn all support for product Class Server (all versions): http://www.learninggateway.net/Resources/Class%20Server/Class%20Server%20Notification.pdf Those of you that have it will still be able to use it to produce/author content for SLK and import it in however there are a couple of authoring tools coming out just after BETT that will do the job also. -
Thanks all for all your posts however I am thinking along the lines of logging all the data into an SQL Database with aweb frontend which could produce historical data as well as "who logged on when". I'll let you allknow how I get on, shouldn't take to long.
-
Hey all, Happy new year and all.... Here's one to get your heads around, I am thinking of doing some reports in the new year to show PC utilisation. I want to show the amount of time PCS are used to the amount of time they site idle. I want to try and work out if we really need to purchase more PC's or is it just a case that we need to better use the ones we already have. So !, has anyone already done something like this or do you have ANY ideas........
-
I am back in school on the 8th Jan 07 I'll get them posted up then, don't have a copy of them at home sorry...
-
Just to clarify I am using the follwoing: WSS 3.0 SLK 1.0 Class Server 4.0 (untill there is an authoring tool provided by SLK) All of the above ARE AD aware out of the box, just requires a little security group tweaking at AD leve but that was may choice. The SIMS web parts ARE for Sharepoint 2003 (and I belive will also work with 2007) however they have required tweaking to get them to work with WSS 3.0 - Now I did this purely to see what benefit it would bring to the school as a whole and TBH not much really which is why I have NOT rolled it out. Alot of the web parts are merely read only stuff you can't do many changes and inmy school that is it's downfall.
-
There are a couple of questions I would like to throw in here: First - Other than to import student class information why would you need to intergrate you MIS in to any VLE?? TBH you could do a csv export and import or if it is SIF/SCORM compliant do it that way. Second - We have been using WSS 2.0 and ClassServer 3.0 for a long time and recently upgraded to WSS 3.0 Class Server 4.0 and the new Sharepoint Learning Kit (SLK) http://www.learninggateway.net/default.aspx and fullfills all our requirements why would we change it? Third - It is a shame to see the above in point two not on the list though... Both SIMS and Serco both have sharepoint/wss web parts available, although Serco has a whole product based around sharepoint, you could ask your SIMS provider if you could have the web parts. I did and got them, had to blag it though otherwise there would have been a small cost involved "I Think".......
-
I havent known it to work at all as it is the method I have used for the past 5 years to add the new intake of students and to move certain students around during the year. Far quicker than using the GUI aswell.....
-
After downloading both Flash Player 9 and Shockwave I have published them via GPO and all works fine for me.
-
Its a bug in the DSADD portion of the software winthin Windows Server and has been there for a while. The way that I got around it was to do 3 seperate scripts 1 DSADD and then 2 DSMODS as you can query the user once added and the pass info via the query into the user details and MODify it. If you need the scripts I used I can post them up. As of yet M$ have recognised the problem but have yet to fix it.
-
Hi All, Have been on the phone to Adobe and it seems that you have to apply for a licence to do bulk/network installs. The players are still free but you can only install under licence, once you have applied they then provide you with the links for the admin / stand alone versions without all the bloat ware that is included in the web download. I do remember having to do this a few years ago for Adobe Reader.
-
Hi All, Does anyone have any links to the Admin Installs for these not the web based install. I need to push these out via GPO but for the life of me I can;t find them anywhere. And pointers gratefully received.
-
LIMITED TIME ONLY - FREE MICROSOFT TRAINING
ICTNUT replied to ICTNUT's topic in Courses and Training
I have lready upgraded to WSS v3 and I must say at the moment I am really impressed with weaht I see. -
For a limited time these self-paced online learning courses are available free of charge: WSS v3 Development: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/elearning/course/5045.asp WSS v3 Infrastructure: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/elearning/course/3369.asp MOSS Development: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/elearning/course/5046.asp MOSS Infrastructure: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/elearning/course/3370.asp
-
Re: examstudies.com Look like the complaints have had an impact I get: Service Temporarily Unavailable The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Apache/1.3.33 Server at http://www.examstudies.com Port 80 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
-
@ChrisH: I guess I could but I don't really see the benefit in this case. as I have said in a previous post the main thing was preventing the bypass of our Bloxx content filter, this has been newly installed as has ISA 2004 as before we had a smoothwall / dans guardian solution, this has been accomplished so all I want to do now is stop them from getting access to the PC itself. the thing is you can only lock a PC down so much, with the only true way is preventing all kids from using them in the first place but we all know we can't do that can we (he thinks quietly to hiimself !!!)
-
We moved away from PMP and over to PCounter for that very reason as we could not get the credit facility to work. I got in touch with them and they told me it would be in the next release, well that was 2 updates ago and for my sins they advise me that a brand new version is going to be out in 2007 which is far better than what we had. No thanks PCounter is working just fine, ooh and restriction on number of copies (not pages) works in PCounter
-
@ ChrisH: Have setup a rule in ISA to allow HTTP:HTTPS:FTP outbound access ONLY from our content filter and this works so that has solved that issue. Also have put in place GPO's so that is profile is partially downloaded the user is auto logged off, this also works, have forced proxy settings on a per machine basis instead of per user although this does not really matter due to the ISA rules. Local profiles are killed off each time the PC's start and in combination with cached logons set to 0 this stops that method of entry. So the only thing left and between you and me might take some doing, if you allow the profile to load up to the point that the background on the desktop changes and then pull the NIC cable out this kills GPO from coming down. As users are logged on with mere user rights there is not much they can do BUT they can trash the PC which is just a pain for me so how to stop this?? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.........
