-
Posts
1,433 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ICTNUT
-
As we do here I have an archive user setup with a mailbox and from within exchange I have a copy of every email sent to that user also. This way if I need to find any emails from a user it is simply done via a search. If you are an Exchange admin you can also access the mailbox directly via the OWA frontend goto http://yourexchangeserver/exchange/username this way you do not need to fiddle with the permissions within ADUC.
-
no you don't need 2 servers, I have a single exchange server serving nearly 1800 mailboxes. The setup of the exchange server or servers depend on what you wish to accomplish and will grately change the spec you need. If you check out the Microsoft website you can get the basic spec for the server.
-
I really would seek some advice from someone who has played with this before, it's not just a case of setting it up but the intergration from within your network, what your expectations are, and if the costs involved are going to be worth it. A quick look at a couple of sites shows MS Exchange Server plus 25 Clients is currently going for around £4,500 +VAT <- these are non education prices mind. I think you need to decide of this is really that way to go or can you do what you need using the skill set that you have already.
-
In outlokk 2003 to do this you would: Tools -> Options -> Preferences (tab) -> Junk Email (button) -> Blocked Senders (tab) -> Add (button) Then simply add @domain.ext this will block all email coming in from that domain and send it to the junk folder, you could then check the "Permanently delete suspected junk e-mail instead of moving it to the junk email folder" on the options tab to delete the email outright. I would assume this would not be that different on 2007 although I don't have this at home I do in the office.
-
Yes you can host a single site on an exchange server as IIS is already installed and up and running. However if you are hosting a site that is going to be heavily used then it will imapct on the performance of the exchange server itself. To get a site up and running follow this guide http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323972 which also has a comparison between apache and iis. You do not need to have the site in the IIS webroot as you can place the site itself anywhere. [note] I will point out that adding a website to the current exchange setup could break your OWA/OMA setup if done incorrectly, if you are unsure of anything ask. [/note]
-
The VT58BE is the same as the VT58 the manual for which can be found at http://www.support.nec-display.com/dl_service/data/user_manual/ENGLISH/VT580/VT580_manual_e.pdf There is also a suppliment with regards to changing the pin code: http://www.support.nec-display.com/dl_service/data/user_manual/all/VT58BE/VT58BE.pdf
-
You will need to setup DNS Scavenging on your DNS server which is disabled by default. Take a look at http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/cf67e637-a239-4d79-b822-55334f052e4d1033.mspx?mfr=true to tell you how to do it. And take a look at http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/528aa0a4-e5b4-45da-9769-1d00ef636bb31033.mspx?mfr=true And http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/92d228d2-4fe2-40b9-88a7-2a5a2bee85081033.mspx?mfr=true to give you an idea why you should do it.
-
Deploying desktop images and software
ICTNUT replied to StewartKnight's topic in Network and Classroom Management
I have over 400 Dell OptiPles's with RIS and no problems at all, where are you adding the latest drivers to and also once you add the drivers are you restarting the RIS service?? Start -> Run -> CMD ->net stop binlsvc then Start -> Run -> CMD ->net start binlsvc -
I have to agree with Geoff on this. Yes we all want to ensure that those at risk are monitored and reported to the correct teams but at a cost of 3, 4 or 5k is way to high when you can do it for free with the tools you most likely have already. Yes Securus does some ofthe work for you but you still have to go through the logs to get, the screenshots, you need. I currently use 3 layers of content filtering DansGuardian, ISA 2004, and a Bloxx appliance all of which give me all the information I need when I cross refernece the custom logon database I have for students logon/logoof activity. This allows me to pinpoint and confirm exactly who accessed what, from where and when. OK so i don't have a screenshot to go with it but the proof is there, and anyway just becouse you have a screenshot does not mean anything more than if you don't, students will always claim that someone used thier logon details to try and get out of it.
-
this looks intresting..... The only problem I can see is that you would need to write your ownkeylogger of sorts in order to be able tocontrol the output, especially if you are going tobe sending email notifications out aswell.
-
@Mattx: That tactic has already been used, it is thier kind of hard sell. The good news is Ihave the final say, as I report directly to the head and he respects my thoughts and opinons they generally go with them, I am also the controller of the ICT budget.
-
I have been trialing this "box" for 2 months now and I am still not sure, I admit that I have not seen pricing as high as that mentioned earlier (our is around the £2800 one off with a 20% annual fee for support) but it does take some tweeking to getrid of the false positives that is for sure. I intend to keep trailing it for another 2 weeks and then make up my mind. I suppose if it was actuallt catching students violating the AUP, just get low end swearing in emails, then I could possibly justifythe cost but at themoment I am finding it hard to bring myself to part with £3000 nowing I have other more "pressing" needs.
-
Moodle Authentication - Shibboleth and/or IMAP
ICTNUT replied to ICTNUT's topic in Virtual Learning Platforms
Geoff, the VM appliance I have does not have it available and I can not install it either for fear of breaking the VM appliance. Yes i could get rid of it and get another but I have four other (highly used) apps running on it and it would be a mere to move them over to a new platform. I have got the imap auth working but there is now now way to map the data fields to pre fill the users profile on account creation so I am currently looking into Shibboleth as a potential auth method but this may take time. -
Hi all, as you maybe able to see I am forging ahead with my Moodle installation. What I wanted to know if how other schools are structuring thier class setups within moodle, are there any examples I could look at?? Also how do you associate students to class if you have the like of LDAP / IMAP authentication.
-
Hi All, Has anyone got Shibboleth authentication running with Moodle?? If you have hoa have you found it, was it easy to setup?? Also anyone using IMAP authentication?? Due to the *nix setup I have I am unable to use LDAP so I am looking at alternatives now if I use IMAP how do users enter thier usernames?? Is there anything I need to do on the Exchange box??? So many questions so little time............
-
cheers webman, I did not know that they did a default LAMP install :-)
-
Hi All, I am wanting to get moodle installed and running on my VMWare server and have got hold of a fairly decent vmware image to be found at http://virtualappliances.net however this image is lacking in the php5-ldap and php5-imap modules and getting them installed is a bit of a mare. Does anyone know of a good lamp install that has the above available so I can get the auth stuff in moodle working. Or if you have any other suggestions, I would like to stay on the VMServer though.
-
I am planning to do a complete clean install on VM so I will let you know by the end of the week how things go. At first glance looks ok but if I look at it from a *nix noobs perspective whats has not been covered is getting the required files onto the nix box in the first place, I think there should be a requirement for PUTTY and WinSCP so those working in an M$ environment will be able to admin and file transfer the box easily.
-
Ah the trick is not to talk to the technician but directly to your account manager that why I can get things done alot quicker than speaking to a tech (of sorts!)
-
If the folder resides in the same place on each PC and is called the same name a simple login script or batch file using CALCS.exe would sort that problem out for you.
-
3 days for 30 pairs of blanking plates <- this includes delivery 7 Days for 20 replacement mice for incorrectly delivered ones <- this also includes delivery.
-
I think that there should be a decent section on notification, as this is the main way to know when, as Ric_ says, things go tits up. I would recommend trying to stick to generic mode of communication i.e. email, netsend, IM, as these do not require any additional, if minimal, setup outside Nagios itself. As most people are going to be new to this kind of thing as well as *nix itself I would suggest trying to keep it as simple as possible. I have had an idea though, I wil look at trying to get messages directly from nagios to the Messenger Client I wrote as this would provide direct to desktop notifications in near realtime.
-
@tosca925: How are you doing the DHCP export of an evening? This is something i must get me head around but have not had the time to do so yet.
-
Are you able to get an FTP connection or not?? If you are able to get an FTP connection then when you try to FTP something do you get access denied?? Also what version of ISA are you using??
-
Graphs are nice and indeed I use Cacti, although probobly not to is't fullest potential however I tend to rely on NAGIOS more than anything for segment, hardware, and service failures including notification on and off site. I would be more than happy to hear how to fully utilise cacti in addition to nagios.
