-
Posts
6,219 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
The last two days of positive tests, nationally, has increased on a weekly basis for the first time in quite a while. This indicates that LFTs in schools are picking up (hopefully asymptomatic) cases that otherwise would not have been identified. To what extent is hard to determine. Telegraph suggest 7 in 10 could be wrong, yet Evening Standard state for the March 7th, approaching 40% have been confirmed by PCR, with the remainder yet to be confirmed. There is no figure for unconfirmed cases. ES conclude that schools re-opening is behind the increase. In my mind, at the moment, I think it should be reported as an 'increase in detection' rather than an 'increase in covid cases'. Whether that remains to be true as lockdown continues, only time and data will reveal. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Keep a regular eye on the NHS booking website, it appears it can change to the next group before gov announcements. The changeover with 2nd vaccines impact the volume of first vaccines is likely to show significant change late March. On a positive note, I have learnt from a trusted NHS contact that the recent challenge with Pfizer vaccine quantities has largely been addressed, so hopefully first vaccine rate will be stronger than anticipated as early phase groups get their second jabs. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Looking for some advice with kids going in to school later this week for their first covid tests. One son has started his nose bleeds, common at this time of year following tree pollen and sneezing. Swab up his nose could well bring on a nose bleed - anyone know what the advice is in this situation? -
I had a quick check of Google Takeout too. It exports to MBOX, but apparently there are tools to convert to PST, but you'd need to check those for safety reasons. There is also https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/153871?hl=en - I'm not sure I can recommend this but for a one off it might be worth considering. I'm also not sure it works for a group email. This, or something similar, was used by a previous head I worked with, in spite of the fact he was told not too and he ended up in a complete pickle. In the end the Exec Head pulled the head in line and we blocked the software.
-
Excel Formula to count unique values based on criteria
Ditto replied to penfold's topic in General Chat
I can't be certain without a working sample, but I suspect if you put your data in to an Excel table (from the menu File->Insert depending on version) and then make use of a Filter or Slicer, it might provide you with a solution. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/filter-data-in-a-range-or-table-01832226-31b5-4568-8806-38c37dcc180e https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-slicers-to-filter-data-249f966b-a9d5-4b0f-b31a-12651785d29d -
I don't have a G Suite Admin account at present, so can't check, but if you have Google Vault enabled, you might be able to do it from there. https://support.google.com/vault/answer/2473458?hl=en Out of interest, why do you want to view in Outlook?
-
I think I had this recently. I can't be certain, but I think I went to Indexing options and removed some excluded directories. I know it started working again but may have need a reboot, but certainly not a full re-install.
-
I wonder if a reverse list exists - revered by the critics but panned by the public and tanked on revenue?
-
Excel Formula to count unique values based on criteria
Ditto replied to penfold's topic in General Chat
Agreed, a sample would help. Later versions of Excel (including 365 I believe) brought in a UNIQUE function - it might simplify things. I also find Google sheets better at handling Unique counts in case that option is available to you. -
It's far more interesting having us see the world in different ways. I expect if we were all looking at the same thing, we'd all perceive it slightly differently. For example, if I saw a multi-coloured Llama, some would see a Zebra - no points for guessing who I'm thinking of for having 'black and white' view of the world . I was going to post images to illustrate, but I'll leave that to others!
-
Thanks. The scenario is a large 6th form college doing mostly A levels, but also BTECs, a few GCSE's for retakes and a small number of other qualifications. Currently on the Microsoft stack.
-
The orchestral one. Clearly a very well made movie and I could appreciate the artistry and it shows its had a pretty big budget, but it just didn't resonate with me. I think I'm just not in to elves, goblins, unicorns and the like. Similar I guess to my feelings to Lord of the Rings - I enjoyed it, but it didn't have the impact om me as it clearly has to so many others. I guess that's why I'd align to @witch views rather than @mavhc based on recent earlier discussion in this thread!
-
The Wildlife (and Gardening for Wildlife) thread
Ditto replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
Got a multi-station bird feeder a week ago for my birthday. I have the large feeding balls, but need a seed mix and larger nut feed to make use of two more feeders. Any suggestions for online suppliers that deliver with good quality, good value and speedily? -
Legend directed by Ridley Scott with Tom Cruise on Mubi. It really didn't do anything for me - I guess that's always a danger with 'cult films'. Then, Back to the Future on Sky with the kids - superb, it's still a very entertaining film and the kids liked the humour. It's 35 years old!!!
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Online booking via NHS is now being widely reported and is high on BBC website. Some nice clear graphics in this article that shows first vaccine doses will plateau in about a month as the second doses become prevalent. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
'Snooty' surprises me as it's merely an observation, but to you or anyone else, I apologise if that's how it came across. Perhaps to clarify, when I say 'educated' I mean have 'been made aware'. I agree that I have not heard an clear notification, but my circle of over 55+ friends/contacts are booking on the NHS website. Until now, I have never visited that site, but it does indeed say 56+ can manage their own vaccine appointment. That's partly why I highlighted the observation. It appears self bookings are being allowed but the criteria not widely communicated whilst in parallel being constantly told to wait your turn and that you will be contacted. *** Edit *** I used this link https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/ -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Great news. I've noticed a lot of my local contacts in the 55ish age range have learnt this and gone online to book. I don't recall anyone in the same having been contacted directly. It appears to favour the educated pro-active. -
I'm interested to hear opinions from anyone who has used Moodle and G Suite, especially Google Classroom. How do they compare? If you've migrated from one to the other, I'd be especially interested to hear your thoughts.
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
The videos are well worth a viewing. My favourite line so far is "Make sure you use a separate test kit for each person". Just imagine a frugal school trying to use the same swab on 30 kids in a classroom - that wouldn't help the R rate! -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Covie19 - arrghhh is that a new variant? [Decoded - typo in the link needs an edit] It looks straight forward in spite of the data about training and accuracy. I would hope anyone that can make I.T. work should be able to cope with this. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Looks to me from the simulation the teacher is almost certain to catch YKW whether window is open or the fan used. -
Setting your own limit makes a lot of sense - £100 maximum has advantages though. I do wonder if cards are stunted technologically. Apple Pay, Google Pay or a similar alternative would be better such that authentication is stronger.
-
Fair points made all round. In my mind it's still good value - I just wonder if it will lead to a reduced rate of hardware refresh in schools? Probably not from my experience, stuff is often kept well passed it's use by date!
-
Yes, the management license. I've only worked with Chromebooks and G Suite in this way. Not sure I'd want to use them unmanaged. Agreed, prices have remained static for a very long time, but these sort of rapid jumps do not go down well in most businesses and definitely not in schools. I must have missed hearing it in the Google presentations. Remind me, is that a one off license for the lifetime of the device or per annum?
-
Are you saying G Suite for Education licenses are going up from £19 to £30 for Google Workspace for Education Fundamentals? If yes, they kept very quiet about that when launching Workspace variants.
