Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Ditto

Members
  • Posts

    6,216
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ditto

  1. As jokes go, even Dad jokes, that's steel sheet.
  2. Thanks for the tips. Yes, "install" was a typo, I do have the extension ".wim". Likewise the "/"on source. I do agree the version could be key. I do have the exact version number the Pro version is on and I believe it's likely the install.wim I have is for the very latest Win 10 release which may be ahead of the version installed. Will look around for the correctly versioned .wim file, but any tips on tracking that appreciated. I suspect there are more clues in the log files, but happy to take it a step at a time. It does seem to do a lot of processing before the error message, so I presume ploughing through the checking before hitting something 'not found'? *** I should add not providing a source is, I thought, supposed to make use of the internet connection, results in the same error ***
  3. Is Google turning everyone in to knowing everything about anyone?
  4. My son's PC has suffered a corruption due to power cut. The PC has two bootable drives, one with Windows Home, the other Pro. The Pro install is the corrupt one. Windows is unable to recover the files. Booting to the Windows Home drive is fine, and then accessing the drive that has Pro is fine. Chkdsk reports no issues, sfc /scannow appears good too. So, I'm trying to use DISM to see if I can recover Windows to be bootable again. I have pulled together an install.wim file (for Pro) residing on a USB drive. I then do the following: Go to F: which is the Win Pro drive Go to F:\Windows\System32 then run dism /image:f:\ /CleanUp-Image /RestoreHealth source:h:\install H: is the USB. It appears to go through all the steps counting the percentage slowly up to 100% At the end however it reports Error 0x800f0811 with the following message "The source files could not be found. Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077" I can see a ton of info in the log file, but identifying what's important isn't clear to me. Has anyone successfully used DISM to recover a corrupt windows? Any tips on what next before a try a windows install keeping files or a complete fresh build.
  5. See http://www.edugeek.net/forums/courses-training/232204-googleos-administrator.html - merge threads mods?
  6. Only to be replaced by the 2nd bill... https://bills.parliament.uk/bills/3430. 1st reading was 8th March, 2nd reading scheduled 17th April.
  7. What, no italics - what is up with these people!
  8. https://gb.coursera.org/professional-certificates/g-suite-administration
  9. I do understand where you are coming from, but it is amazing how important those policies become when things go wrong or accusations come the way of a school.
  10. My current bathroom was rebuilt completely recently. The pump for the shower before the upgrade was in the bath void behind the panel. If you have a bath panel that provides access, it can be another configuration that works.
  11. Where is the shower located? Could you have the pump part located elsewhere? The last shower I installed (a while ago!) was a simple pump in the loft, with just the mixer components in the shower. The big advantage was any future pump issues could be easily be dealt with outside the shower area. The mixers are much simpler and less likely to have problems. Having all electrics well away from the shower unit was for me a plus! Part P call out is a good point, but are the regs still using the wording 'competent person', but not specifying how that is judged?
  12. I still take precautions, but don't live like a hermit. It didn't stop me getting it a few weeks back (for the second time) and I've still got lingering symptoms. I'd be very interested to see Covid today, compared to Flu from a statistical and medical point of view. I'd be interested to see the what the risks are by age and other vulnerabilities. What I do know, because it's part of my wife's job, is heart related deaths and medical issues are up significantly. It doesn't get the headlines, but covid can and has caused damaged to organs and the impact does show up in the data, but it's long term impact and the real picture won't be clear for years.
  13. I did Chrome OS IT Administrator back in June 2019 so I have just realised it expired last year. I might redo, but have no access to Google Admin at present. I do recall I didn't have to pay. It might have been a proctored test, again the memory has faded! I think it was direct with Google, but it might have been a partnership with Coursera. Great course and well worth doing if you get a chance and formal certification never does any harm. ***Update - just checked - yes it was proctored ***
  14. That's pretty horrible - certainly not hip
  15. A good point that I realised needs considering before we we make any decisions to roll out a solution. Wisely, we have an outsourced DPO who gladly advise us after reading the companies data protection statements.
  16. I'll have a look at that. Shortly after posting, I found https://www.adobe.com/uk/acrobat/online/compress-pdf.html offers an option for one file at a time. I guess they hope to tempt you into buying Pro by showing how useful it is. I went for medium quality which reduced my file by 50%, which was just what I needed.
  17. I have a need to shrink a small number of PDFs. I don't believe we have Adobe Pro, so I'm wondering if anyone has used any safe Open Source PDF optimizers that they'd recommend.
  18. ...and a pie without 3.14 is about 2.72
  19. Not an Arbor user, but am considering applying to a school that is. Out of interest, do you know what the Service Level Agreement is, the contract should tell what service to expect for this outage.
  20. I have huge sympathy for the young person and their family and others in a similar situation with young people fighting cancer. I absolutely understand and respect why the schools, colleagues, parents and teachers are fighting their causes. In these sorts of cases, I'd fully support the argument of the school assigning a grade based on the centre assessment. Those views are both an emotional heart based reaction, but also a logical reasonable reaction to this specific cases. However, I'm not convinced it requires a wholesale change that the petition calls for all exam absence to lead to a centre assessed grade being awarded. I do think it is worth debating and given the case has been discussed in the House of Commons, regardless of the petition support numbers, much of the goal has been achieved. More than anything, I hope he and others get the best treatment and overcomes their illness.
  21. Thank you - all good. Oddly I failed earlier as I couldn't download as GIF! All the other steps I'm familiar with. When I tried now, no problem - GIF saved straight away. Earlier I got side tracked hoping I could use the embedded code provided by the site.
  22. Excellent. Having recently learnt how to control the size of attached images, I'm a believer of lifelong learning, so if could you teach me how to do that'll be great.
  23. I asked chat GPT to give two different ways to calculate a standard score an then compare the relative merits of each. I can only say it gave an outstanding answer and explanation. You might ask why I asked such a question? Well, I was reverse engineering someone's spreadsheet which had a field labelled standardised score. The formula was sum of x's / (2 number of x values) where x was a number of scores. So lets say we had values 0, 1 and 2, the sum would be (0+1+2)/ 2 * (3) so, 3/6 or 0.5. Now, although my stats is rusty I could tell that it's neither a t-score value or z-score value, which incidentally was the 2 ChatGPT came up with. I also gave ChatGPT the formula and asked what it made of it, but it didn't quite nail a good explanation that linked to a standardised score. On further reviewing the spreadsheet, I could see the values of x where never more than 2, they'd be 0, 1 or 2 only. So by having the denominator as '2 times', the figure is always going to be between 0 and 1. So, summing a number of x's and dividing by the number of x's will always return a value between 0 and 1. As a result, I can see it is a form of standardised score. So, back to ChatGPT, it was very impressive, and of course I didn't tell it about to 0 to 2 limit, but it didn't manage to reverse engineer what I did. And that's why I think AI is so difficult. Without trying to be modest, we are super intelligent beings, arguably top of the intelligence tree (keep off politics!) from an evolutionary sense. This is after millions, or really billions of years of evolution. It'll never catch on, but I have long held the belief AI should be called AIS - Artificial Intelligence Simulation. There will come a point with the simulation is so realistic, it will be nigh on impossible to be differentiated from true intelligence. At this point, we end up travelling down the 'what is intelligence' path and the conversation would no doubt going down a philosophical path, and that path has no end!
  24. 4 mins 3 secs to 1000 on go one. That's me done!
×
×
  • Create New...