-
Posts
6,216 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
Advanced Learning geting rid of cloud school by August
Ditto replied to k-strider's topic in MIS Systems
Just wondering how the progresso (Cloud school) migrations are getting on? -
Haha - I posted the same over 3 years ago! Not sure if the fact I didn't recall it at the time of this post makes me senile, or the fact I vaguely recall doing so after the replies enough to check means there's hope yet!
-
I was wondering exactly this and due to shortness of the LP, not needed. Unfortunately a previous one I had with the supplied LP adapter was sold so I can't check what the official LP looked like. But I agree, plenty of connection via the screws.
-
On this GT 1030 with full height bracket, it has what I presume to be a earth strap to the GPU board. The LP plates I can find don't generally appear to have this - how important is it and if important, where would I get one for as little money as possible.
-
KCSIE 2023 - updates that may impact IT
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
103. says "The designated safeguarding lead should take lead responsibility for safeguarding and child protection (including online safety and understanding the filtering and monitoring systems and processes in place). This should be explicit in the role holder’s job description.", which is going to a big step for some DSL's. Ultimately it's going to need a fair bit of collaborative working, so it might be best where this currently sits with IT, a conversation is started with the DSLs. -
New KCSIE recommendation: Social Media checks on candidates
Ditto replied to RLR's topic in How do you do....it?
There are updates in the recently released KCSIE 2023 around this topic. Have a read and see what you think. -
Just a couple of days ago the latest Keeping Children Safe in Education update arrived. There are updates around monitoring and web-filtering and in 144 it states In addition, schools and colleges should consider meeting the Cyber security standards for schools and colleges.
-
For me too, cost of public trains is a killer. It's odd too as all the trains here run on electricity and I hear it stated fares are still subsidised. Trains to London are rammed even now, so there appears to be no economy of scale. Doesn't make sense that it's invariably cheaper for me to drive my ICE car places with just me in it than go by rail.
-
100% agree. From the other side of the river it is exactly the same. The rail network in to central London is fine if you are on on near a mainline, but journey times to places that are nearer. My nearest town is just over 30 minute bike ride, 40-60 minutes by rail subject to joining connections, up to 30-40 minutes by car and can be over an hour by bus. Much of this reflects the star radial network and near non-existent bus services. Intersecting circular public transport connections are extremely poor and as a result a huge swathe of the south east I ignore for employment due to too long travel times by public transport and jammed packed road systems. I see no easy solutions, so yes, just make what we have a lot greener.
-
Another good reason to stick with a mountain bike - Lycra! MTB - go baggy, you are still cool. Hybrid, a little flexibility. Roadies - gees, MAMILS is the danger. Endless lean 6 footer lean mid 20 and fit 30 year olds. Most with attitude and from the city or nearby and manners absent - I find the off roaders always helpful and easy to chat too.
-
The Wildlife (and Gardening for Wildlife) thread
Ditto replied to elsiegee40's topic in General Chat
Just went to the site at about 16:17. I saw one 'fledgling' with a few down feathers remaining at about 16:17 and it hopped out, walk along the ridge tiles, exercised it's wings then disappeared out of sight down the roof tiles! How many was the adult rearing? -
If your off-road is generally reasonable surface and you wish to retain a decent pace, a gravel bike is probably a good bet, especially if your current road bike has drop handle bars. If you are used to straight handle bars, a hybrid may feel like an easier transition. Personally I have elderly but still robust Specialized mountain bike and stay off-road a lot. In truth, the current road conditions need a mountain bike too! I have done extended road tours a long time ago, but as another poster suggested, I have hybrid or road tyres to go on the MTB rims. You can get fully road wheels for a MTB, but look silly in my opinion! Tyre pressure and ground conditions come in to play here, so if it's dry, pump 'em up hard!
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Personally I don't know and have not researched it, but it the UK at least it is entirely possible. I do know it has been suggested medical worker strikes have had an impact that would not be linked to covid. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Gov published Health data is generally trending towards lows not seen for the best part of 2 years. The figures for mechanical ventilation in the latest update is the 8th lowest reported, but this figure isn't going to be updated after next week. Then from 1st June, it will be 2 weeks before another update is to be provided for broad Health covid data. Beyond June 15th. it's not clear whether it's every two weeks or something else. R rate is still over 1, so it would be interesting to understand the how the mix of herd immunity, vaccinations, treatments or waning potency of variants contributes to outcomes. And indeed to what extent all this data is comparable. Something I know of that isn't in these data, is that in a specific cohort of employed insured employees (lets say corporate employees), sickness levels are down compared to historic data. That's interesting in as much as recently published reports say sickness levels at a national level are the opposite, and historically very high. But, the same smaller cohort I refer too have significantly higher death rates (10%+ higher), with heart and other major organ failures being recorded. It would appear covid damage can still have a major impact much further down the line, and I guess it could be decades before we fully understand the impact this virus has had on the world. In case it's your thing, and I have posted this before, it's a PowerBI dashboard that is published and IMHO is a good implementation - see https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYmUwNmFhMjYtNGZhYS00NDk2LWFlMTAtOTg0OGNhNmFiNGM0IiwidCI6ImVlNGUxNDk5LTRhMzUtNGIyZS1hZDQ3LTVmM2NmOWRlODY2NiIsImMiOjh9 If you analyse excess deaths by 'cause', looking at heart and liver related deaths, pictorially it's very clear how the last year looks. As a contrast, look at cancer and there is no strong trend. Of course it might not be because of covid, but it's hard to think it isn't a factor. Could vaccinations be relevant?! Scientifically it shouldn't be dismissed, but it does feel you'd quickly get perceived as being in the 'conspiracy' group! I haven't done much background reading in to the UK's excess deaths data - there is a Guardian article but it was quite political so I'll not post, but perhaps I'll have a look for more medical research based studies. -
Perhaps you have considered this already, but are Chromebooks and Google Workspace an option? We had these at a primary school, enough for one per child, every classroom. They met all the needs for the teachers, which is key, but were a doddle to manage. Personally, I found the education environment around this platform so much more enthusiastic and simple to navigate than the equivalent Windows environment. Re-training staff is going to need to be factored in, and we had many new teachers join us as we grew, but pretty quickly, all saw the advantages of the quick start and go of this option.
-
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
I haven't followed for 12 years, but the update looks like progress with a sitting MP. The 18% rate you quote is double the figure quoted of 9% for 'mortgage prisoners' - clearly an extreme case. Martin Lewis has secured a private donation of £60,000 to help push things forward. The donor is unlikely to be a mortgage prisoner, but has showing a willingness to try to help those that are. The update in March shows ML has the ear of Economic secretary to the Treasury, Andrew Griffith. As for your MP, regardless of political persuasion, they are your MP. If you've made an approach for help, and been rejected, that's one thing, but don't write them off before trying. Ultimately, it looks a clear injustice, but in spite of the time frame and I'm sure the fatigue, sometimes you have to push yourself forward and fight for your cause and accept help to achieve this. -
What a great thread! So nice to hear from fellow edugeekers about what they do outside of geeking! For me, I guess number 1 is sport, mostly racket sport. Have very slowly chilled out and haven't broken anything in a very long time! Currently quite a lot of tennis and padel tennis, plus a once a week badminton and squash. Table tennis in the garden if it ever stops raining. Previously, pool and snooker, occasional darts. When the lungs allow, mountain-biking in the mud and slopes of my surrounds. On holiday, really keen wind-surfer. Recently paddle boarding. A smidge of sailing. Fairly regular at cooking. A fair bit of DIY and still struggling to let the pros do the work as my standards are sky-high. Getting back to a little angling as one son interested. So overall, quite active which is a good job given the hobby I haven't mentioned which involves bit of beer and wine! Oh, and one more - Lifelong learning - I'm nearly always signed up to a course of some sort or another learning or extending my skills in something. I'm now really interested to here from the OP as to which of the activities mentioned spark an interest?
-
Double that!
-
I want to see the data broken down by handicap!
-
Cost of living crisis 2022 - what have you cut back on?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in General Chat
Mortgage prisoners should read https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-prisoners/#campaign, updated in April. And get on to your MP. Article links to https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2023/03/mortgage-prisoners-lse-report-launch/ - more info there. -
Running Windows Trouble-shooters/Repairs locally without having admin rights
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Windows 10
I might try something along these lines when it next happens. I think the Windows fixer restarts the device driver, whereas disconnecting doesn't help so not overly optimistic. I'd estimate it happens not more than once a month, maybe once every month so pretty rare. The driver for the WiFi looked OK, but then I see something slight odd. The version I have is 2024.0.10.217 but it doesn't say Rev.S, but dates match. However, there is the later dated release but with version number of 1.0.0.166 Rev.S. Odd naming convention but I will ask our IT support to update and see how it goes. -
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
Is the Monkeypox (in fact I should say mpox at WHO's request) situation because of the risk of what is developing and expected to happen rather than the 'now' picture. A more dangerous covid variant could easily be redeclared an emergency. In no way to downplay current Covid death rates, but to give some context around the '500 people a day' figure, in the UK alone between 2017 to 2019, just under 460 people a day died of cancer. (Source - https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/mortality#heading-Zero) -
Every now and again, my work laptop WiFi loses connection. A reboot resolves it but is a serious nuisance due to the ongoing work. Windows network trouble-shooter sees the issue and attempts restarting the WiFi adapter, but it needs admin credentials which I don't have. Invariably this happens over the weekend or bank holidays when IT support isn't available to help. Our so-called IT support say it's an impossible problem to resolve. Would anyone like to offer an alternative opinion.
-
Coronavirus: General discussion (see opening post for rules)
Ditto replied to Dos_Box's topic in General Chat
So that's it now, WHO declare Covid global health emergency is over - except they don't quite when it come to the details. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65499929 The last line of the article is quite something - "In most cases, pandemics truly end when the next pandemic begins." Marvellous! Enjoy the Bank Holiday weekend everyone! -
Stunning picture, the richness of colours, focus and the sense of stillness from the Heron, contrasted with the motion of flowing water is fantastic. The ability of modern phones to help take this sort of shot is still impressive. Well worth the dampness you no doubt suffered!
