-
Posts
6,216 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by Ditto
-
I was going to post similar. My main laptop for general use (using now) is a Lenovo x220 with an i7-2620M. I run a stupid amount of browser tabs, Office software and a few other things. It has 8GB memory and a fast SSD, and it rarely struggles - and when it does is because of my daft number of browser tabs. My kids have run fine for desktop i7-2600 for school work and light-ish gaming (Minecraft, Fortnite, Steam). Windows 11 is not an interest for me at the moment, but I know people have had it running on Dell Optiplex's 790's with the i7-2600 chip. That technology is 12 years old, but it still serves me well. Siblings have much more recent Celeron style processors and their laptops don't keep up with mine. So for me, age is not such a factor, overall performance is. I feel since series 2, performance improvements have been small increments. My workstation beast I run is dual X5660's. Still does what I need. What I would say with laptops, age really is a killer of batteries. I've yet to find a replacement for the Lenovo that is anywhere the original which ran well for about 7 years. Replacements so far barely last a year.
-
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Ditto replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
I do like the article's link to Sean Connery -
New KCSIE recommendation: Social Media checks on candidates
Ditto replied to RLR's topic in How do you do....it?
Just as a reminder this is from KCSIE: i) only for short-listed candidate. ii) help identify incidents and issues...and are available publicly only iii) school or college might want to explore with the applicant It does not say dig deeply in to a candidate's private life. The more I think about this, the more it riles me and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a right to privacy issue - I'm thinking Human Rights Act 1998 which perversely is covered in KCSIE in paragraphs 83, 84 and 85. I'm of to get a cuppa now to calm down! -
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Ditto replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
I guess it's just Maximillian's than can only stay for 20 minutes - oh and Max Headroom, who you probably passed on the way in to the car park -
New KCSIE recommendation: Social Media checks on candidates
Ditto replied to RLR's topic in How do you do....it?
Whoa! That's so off the scale I'd want to 'out' the school with a twitter viral storm. Just NO! NO! NO! -
If there is a 17" equivalent, it would be worth updating in http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardware/232638-recommend-me-cheap-17-laptop.html
-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65378617 Then today, MS head is not pulling his punches! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65407005
-
Windows only or would a Chromebook be an option?
-
Things that could have been improved before being approved...
Ditto replied to 6Foot2's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
That's crazy! Much better to plan after you have arrived at your destination and then you have some experience to work off to plan your journey -
Breach reporting obligations
Ditto replied to gh5000's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Interesting - even more interesting the manual was published following a FOI request! On the rating, wouldn't the special category data within the census mean it gets a P3 as described in the table on page 43? -
You know how certain expressions get used in certain situations and we all go along with them, but them someone like me starts to think harder about them. Well, with GDPR the subject title is used a lot. Now the "rights" I get, right to be informed, right to access, rectification, erasure and more all make sense and are clear. There are many examples where individual "rights" are referred too in isolation. But I only ever recall seeing "freedoms" in the fuller expression, not on it's own. So, with "freedoms", what is that word really getting at.
-
Breach reporting obligations
Ditto replied to gh5000's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Quite a while since the last post. But to see how things turned out, did you ever hear back from the LA or from ICO? I'm particularly keen to understand if ICO sent advisory notes, but realise they might not get to you. -
A little late to this, but there are a few issues with the link. Do you mind having a look. Thanks.
-
In terms of obscureness, I think my some of my brother's will rank high. I will try to get exact details, but I think it was a Wartburg (but could be a Trabant). I do recall talk of reinforced Papier Mache and he could hang the back end out (can't really call it a power slide!) at about 10 - 12 mph on the local wet roundabout as there was no weight in the rear - and totally controllable.
-
Have you considered using an open source utility to help here - chances are the tool will be well tested and manage the problems you are encountering with brackets (or as some would call them, parenthesis!). Depending on version, even Excel offer a a built-in tool - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/compare-two-versions-of-a-workbook-by-using-spreadsheet-compare-0e1627fd-ce14-4c33-9ab1-8ea82c6a5a7e , but I can't comment on it's usefulness.
-
That's reassuring! For the first question, see my previous movie watch, thought I'd done that! For the second part, yes, probably, only have boys. Many good friends with daughters view me with envy!
-
Second ever car was a Citroen GS Club - I think it qualifies! 1222c air cooled engine, wacky suspension which can be set to high, super higher and giraffe high. Handbrake in the dashboard and worked on front wheels which made handbrake turns amusing! Brake pedal with no travel and very fierce. It was surprisingly driveable and lively. Once had 12 people in it after college graduation - but don't tell HSE! Would drive on 3 wheels, although I never tried. See https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/car-culture/citroen-gs/ for feature length article!
-
Watched this last night with OH and OH's good friend. We laughed quite a bit, not sure we were meant too? Unsure what to make of it, sort of seemed to be a pacified hybrid of Edward Scissorhands and Clockwork Orange if that's possible. Presumably due to Oscars, there's an arty side to the story that didn't have the same impact on us. My tip: it's quite long so don't watch it too late as it's quite tiring early on. I don't think it will be regarded as a classic, but well worth a watch if you have an open mind.
-
Twilight on Sky. The first in a run of four movies I understand. Teenage suitable variant of the Dracula theme. It wasn't bad, but no showstopper and at times I thought got a little too silly. At one point, it became a little too much like a The Addams family.
-
Are there any schools with older PCs not upgraded to SSDs yet. Oddly, global technology shortages have lead to SSD price drops as NAND flash hardware is in abundance! Is £14.99 for 240GB the best deal around currently? https://www.ebuyer.com/1419287-wd-green-240gb-sata-2-5-7mm-solid-state-drive-wds240g3g0a?
-
Two of our Wi-fi engineers got married at the weekend. Apparently, the reception was brilliant.
-
"After Yang" via BT NOW: it divided opinion in the household. I found it intriguing and thought provoking particularly in a time of intense discussions around the future of AI. Eldest son got bored, youngest rated it 2* and Mrs Ditto wanted an explanation!
-
Using DISM to fix a corrupt Windows 10 install - anyone had success trying?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Windows 10
Pretty certain I have run that to check, but been having some craziness in the meantime. First up, couldn't get the keyboard F12 to be registered at boot up so couldn't get to options to select USB windows install. I concluded the time allowed wasn't enough for the fancy Corsair keyboard to be fully up and running. A quick switch to a basic Dell keyboard overcame that issue. Once booted to Windows installer, heading to repair didn't help - it still can't fix the issue. A review of the SrtTrail.txt file indicated one issue and stated "A patch is preventing the system from starting. Repair Action: systems files integrity check and repair. Error code 0x00000057. So I decided it was worth uninstalling the last feature update. In hindsight, I think I select the drive that is booting, not the one that current won't allow windows to start. The end result of this step was then being unable to boot from either! In fact it appeared that only one of the bootable drives could be seen, with the ominous error being "You PC/Device needs to be repaired. The BootConfig Datafile is missing some required information File:\Boot\BCD Error 0xc000000d." Afte ra bit of googling, the suggestion was to run bootrec.ex with the parameter /fixmbr, /fixboot, /scanos, 'rebuidbcd. I can't recall the exact steps or sequence taken, and initial attempts didn't help, and with /fixboot, I got access denied, but on one reboot, Windows limped into life and when through an extensive disk/file check and everntually restarted. So, I am now back to the point where I have the one bootable drive, but the original problem remains. Next steps are probably to have a go at DISM repair on the correct drive after booting to the USB drive and/or patch rollback on the correct drive. Beyond that, maybe it's going to have to be a clean install, but I still wonder if the DISM log file should be reviewed more closely for clues. Out of interest, I presume Windows attempts at recovery and fundamentally running DISM etc. in much the same way? -
Gees, that's 10 minutes slower than @6Foot2 a few years back . It must be that Aussie brew. The Dad Jokes Thread
-
Using DISM to fix a corrupt Windows 10 install - anyone had success trying?
Ditto replied to Ditto's topic in Windows 10
I can get to the screen to select Safe Mode, but it's not recognising any keyboard entries to select. Had to power of. I still need to try to boot to a Windows Pro and try recovery option from there. However, I have managed to get in to PE environment. 1) - CHKDSK is all clear 2) - added /scannow option. I'm sure I had this working earlier but it's now reporting 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested feature'. It does the same when run from the Windows Home version from the drive that does boot. 3) DISM appears to need the /scratchdir in PE mode. HealthCheck reports that it is repairable, however on running RestoreHealth, it looks as thought it is working, but gets to 100% and then reports "the source file could not be found". It's clearly finding the WIM file, but not all the files within to allow recovery I presume. I'm fairly certain the WIM file is version 19045 and the disk I am trying to recover is 19045 too, but I could be mistaken. Is there anything in the DISM.log I should look out for - it seems to indicate a lot of successful steps, but many 'not found' types of errors. Oh, one other thing that could be highly relevant. Windows defender has picked up and quarantined a few viruses on the corrupt drive. All looked good before the power cut, but has that event made it more at risk as a result?
