-
Posts
1,225 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by bobsmith
-
I've just checked with some of mine and they work fine. So, have the aspects been used within the date ranges specified?
-
Gladstone/Ami Support - Migrate to another Company ? HHHEEELLLPPP!!!
bobsmith replied to buncey's topic in MIS Systems
http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-systems/138749-gladstone-ami-cashless-catering.html does this help? -
if there is a result attached to it (and you don't want to delete that result) then yes. I can understand the rationale behind this too, remember that SIMS doesn't use datasets the way some other MIS do, so all data stored at any point in a student's career is accessible. Personally I've been ZZ'ing aspects that aren't deletable but that aren't of any use, and you can also recycle them if it's just a change of gradeset needed, as they are date linked. Categories seem a sensible way to go when my aspect list grows some more, just move them to "archive" category, or even a category for each academic year.
-
and trying hard not to harp on about Facility CMIS (which I no longer use!) but reporting in SIMS feels so amazingly slow (well it doesn't just feel slow, 9 hours quoted in a thread today to output 300 student reports????). People will quote the number of table joins that you may be using to get out all the data, but if you wrote the exact same functionality using SQL directly it would take seconds only (from experience of doing this on my CMIS databases). Even then printing a year group's worth of dynamically coloured subject reports with loads of graphics embedded took no more than a short cigarette break with CMIS. The most progress is made by standing on the shoulders of giants, if microsoft or any other player builds something that you can use then incorporating that makes a bundle of sense. I've grown to love some of the things SIMS can do, but it just looks and feels so 90s! And why is every slightly clever thing we attempt to do a workaround?
-
does alternative curriculum not allow this in SIMS?
-
[sims] Vote for a reporting CR? Relative (last week/month/term) dates in reports
bobsmith replied to pete's topic in MIS Systems
copy this number "1406-1310211" and paste it straight into the search bar on the site. -
[sims] Vote for a reporting CR? Relative (last week/month/term) dates in reports
bobsmith replied to pete's topic in MIS Systems
I've added my vote! -
Conditional formatting (colours) in Assessment manager columns
bobsmith replied to niqbal's topic in MIS Systems
Yeah, you can't do that. You need two columns, but the second column can colour the first one. If you don't want to see the 2nd column just mark it "hidden".- 2 replies
-
- assessment manager
- formula
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Socktober 2015. FREE SOCKS for all entrants. Win an i7 NUC from VeryPC
bobsmith replied to VeryPC's topic in Our Advertisers
Socks arrived this morning - always nice to walk into work and have a present waiting Thanks! -
We are a local authority school and I can positively state that we wish it was that straight forward. The CTF we receive from the LA is very sparse compared to the CTF we would get from a previous school. This year we didn't get a CTF at all as the software that they use for producing the CTF didn't work. It would be immensely helpful if this data could be collected via webform like parent's can update their details on SLG currently.
-
SWR stands for Staff WorkForce Record (or something like that) - so if someone is unticked then they will be exempted. SIMS has both employees and users - you can have a user record without an employee record - perfect for these situations. An employee on the other hand will almost always have both an employee and a user record - but again not all employees will be users - unless your cleaners are supposed to be taking registers and looking up student details.....
-
I would say that if you've submitted both then I'd wait till both are approved. Though you could summon @PhilNeal for what should hopefully be the definitive answer
-
untick "eligible for SWR" on her personal details screen. If she's just a user she shouldn't be picked up by the census, I'm guessing you have a employee record for her too.
-
Of course the fun part with every management system I've ever used is how slow the reports are compared to some carefully written SQL that does the same job. Bearing in mind how little data we're really talking about compared to how much SQL can handle... Alas using SIMS.Net and the HUGE caveats around playing directly in the SQL DB it looks like I won't be writing SQL queries again anytime soon.
-
[sims] How do I enable the Enter PI Data menu item for our Exams Officer?
bobsmith replied to MrLudwig's topic in MIS Systems
it's always the simple things -
staff attendance is normally reported in terms of days missed, not percentage attendance. Part timers therefore present no difficulties.
-
[sims] How do I enable the Enter PI Data menu item for our Exams Officer?
bobsmith replied to MrLudwig's topic in MIS Systems
unlock the season first -
I would really hope that apart from comments the actual data collected would be identical anyway - a student only sits one exam at the end regardless of how many teachers have taught him. Regardless of MIS used I've always insisted that if the teachers have different things to say that the collaborate on the written reports to get the points across.
-
Within CMIS that was easy peasy, a quick bit of SQL to extract the data and you could output it to excel as part of the job and then set it up to email out. Of course if you can write a report within SIMs to do the crunching (good luck) then you can have command reporter run it each night and have it appear on their home screen in SIMS (that's the gist I got anyway).
- 12 replies
-
are you trying to substitute aspects or just add them from scratch?
-
Guilty as charged myself, however as I said in my post - schedule them (by which i mean out of hours!).
- 12 replies
-
That's all I've done, and as far as I can tell they have access. What I've done to make it easier for our HoDs is to assign the whole course as a marksheet, combine that with a year group filter on the assessment template and they can see all the kids doing their subject at once.
-
I did a lot of work along these lines when I used to have CMIS. It is often possible to produce better reports directly through SQL than it was through CMIS itself. They also run a hell of a lot faster by bypassing their clunky processing. You can set them up as as a job in SQL manager and schedule them. Outputting to XML then gives you the capability of doing stuff with php, excel or whatever else you want for displaying the data. Oh and to stay on the good side of the Advanced Learning engineers - set up the SQL account that will process all of this with READ ONLY permissions. That way it will be impossible for you to mess up the DB and you will have evidence if anyone ever questions it that you can not have caused any issues they try passing off to you.
- 12 replies
-
@PhilNeal, so we are referring to the "assessment key indicators" - there is a limit of 6 which appears to be hard coded - so if you are using them for something more immediately useful you can't also use them for KS2 data. The RAG appears to come from colouring within the marksheets (if you've set it up and calculated it).
