Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

bobsmith

Members
  • Posts

    1,225
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by bobsmith

  1. Normally yes - but I just tried on mine and I can't add any new ones. I'll check on their community site to see if they've either broken it or changed it and not told us. I've thankfully got a load of custom codes setup already for the year. Both present and absent.
  2. is this your homework assignment you've been given to do?
  3. voted - though the one off QR scanning isn't particularly onerous bearing in mind it's a cloud system.
  4. Did you watch the 5 minute intro video on their website yet? Aimed at the UK market of course. Looks like a proper cloud solution - has statutory compliance - so that's all good. I'm gonna go look to see what their market share is and come back to this.
  5. Is it legacy installs dragging them down or the fact they don't actually have a complete working MIS in the proper cloud? It's been said before - but if the SIMS cloud offer is a ground up new MIS then it's a new product and schools should do a proper evaluation and potentially a tender process to decide their move. ESS seem to be trying to skirt around that by "moving" customers to a combination of SIMS on remote desktop (SIMS connected) and bits of a true cloud offer (NextGen). What they should be doing is supporting the core SIMS until it's end of life then offer customers the option to consider moving to their new product or picking another one. This obviously won't happen because a business does what's best for itself (and they don't actually have a complete cloud MIS yet)
  6. Couldn't happen to two nicer companies.....
  7. when you run the report are you asking it to produce the single document with all the kids - or the individual report that uploads to the DMS?
  8. not sure hosting with SCOMIS will be on the table - they use AWS (I think) - which is fine.
  9. Bromcom has an API they use - so we can just go to the parentpay website and it's force synced. Back when I did SIMS I'm pretty sure their tech team helped us get to the point of having the scheduled task do the heavy lifting - with only staff updates needed on missync - which can be installed locally without too much fuss. Put a file exception rule to allow missync.exe in program files to run and you're golden.
  10. We got it bundled in with our LGFL broadband subscription. Before that the LA paid for it - but I think that budget squeezes at their end ruled it out.
  11. can you bring up task manager and look at RAM usage while it runs - is it in fact smashing through the RAM limit?
  12. Yes you can - you'll need to then take a backup from your temporary server and load that to the live server if you don't want to lose the data in between.
  13. bobsmith

    Inventry Issue

    Sorry - used inventry for a good few years now - but only operate on one site. I've always found that once I got a technician on the phone they solved any issues we had very well. Getting hold of one of them can sometimes be the hard part.
  14. following your DPO's guidance and in line with your school's retention policy (that's a mouthful) you'd be deleting students from your MIS that have reached the end of their retention period. also look at your DMS size - bet there's loads of documents in there that are past the retention limit too. I'm no longer current on SIMS - but a couple of years ago it was 10Gb-ish for the OS and then enough RAM to comfortably hold the database. Being a VM made it fairly easy to allocate it.
  15. how many years of records have you got in there? that's pretty huge. (mine was 10Gb for a school of 1400)
  16. submission deadline is 30/10/2024 so no rush.
  17. I had this from a friend at another school last week - I tried it on my system and couldn't get any matches to work either. Thought I was doing something wrong too. @Marci - any luck?
  18. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/install-windows/supported-version-and-edition-upgrades-2022?view=sql-server-ver16 shows there's an upgrade path from SQL 2019 Express to SQL 2022 Full (standard) Taking all the standard precautions of backing stuff up first - the upgrade process is normally straight forward - i.e. run the installer and read it's warnings. Unless changing hardware I've always done in-place upgrades.
  19. This census looks at attendance between 01/04/2024 and 31/07/2024 - the new codes didn't come into force until 01/09/2024. Run an attendance by codes report covering that period and see if anything really weird comes up. If that doesn't find anything then it's a job for ESS. P.s. the X code is valid for all 6th form absences (yep - all of them - though you'd be silly to use it all the time). It's also valid for year 11s who are over 16 from the last Friday in June. Definitely use it there. S is an absence, X isn't. DfE guidance overrules local authority/county guidance.
  20. but they would need to be dynamic if we are following the OPs process. 1. teachers input data 2. calculate max and min test scores across the cohort 3. now divide that range up into percentiles 4. now we can reference the actual score achieved by a student and place it within a percentile range 5. now we can lookup the "band" rinse and repeat the whole process for every subject.
  21. Have you managed to re-invent levels? joking aside - this is doable in powerbi or excel but sims/bromcom/arbor would all fail to deliver this. (well you could probably do it in bromcom with a LOT of columns breaking the steps down into teeny tiny pieces).
  22. I just skimmed his most recent responses and some of them are very very good for an AI - not just quoting wikipedia articles. I don't know if I'm more impressed by the passing-as-human answers or annoyed that we are now a training ground for another AI.
  23. I'm using the IKEA automatic blackout blinds - the light blocking is very good and the rechargeable battery in the motor lasts over 6 months between charges for me. Integration through their home smart system that links to Alexa.
  24. what's that word for when you feel smug but shouldn't? I wouldn't go back if you paid me - and that includes any MIS that requires you to update it yourself out of hours. I used to be at work till 7pm doing the Facility CMIS/ePORTAL upgrades (and that took 2 of us - the network manager had to stay just for a 2nd pair of eyes).
×
×
  • Create New...