Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Geoff

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    13,543
  • Joined

Everything posted by Geoff

  1. Posted in the MSDN blog. Looking Forward: Microsoft: Support for Secure Shell (SSH) - Looking Forward: Microsoft: Support for Secure Shell (SSH) - Site Home - MSDN Blogs I find it interesting that this is their third attempt at this as well.
  2. In lieu of me actually writing my guide up, I saw this recent video by DevOps Library on Youtube that covers it (slightly different method, but it works).
  3. MSI Nvidia Gt720 Passive Graphics Card (1GB, 64 Bit, DDR5, PCI-E): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
  4. connecting multi mode fibre to single mode fibre wont work.
  5. 16 accounts
  6. No, no issues here. Post your debug logs.
  7. A Bad Lip Reading of Avengers Assemble.
  8. Just take a walk out there. I dare you.
  9. Good luck with that.
  10. To backup the tpm on Win7 into AD you need to fiddle with your AD forest root permissions. There's more info in this Technet blog. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd875529%28v=ws.10%29.aspx
  11. There is no restriction on you leaving the boundries of the wasteland. Infact it's intended. Note that the monsters get harder the further you move from spawn and the ore deposits get better. I suspect I'll need some sort of server side permissions/factions/towny or something to enforce the teams (I would probably do a towny setup as I've used it before). That said, this is a PvP server. So if in doubt, kill people and ask questions afterwards (e.g. I'm hoping things develop along the lines of gameplay in Rust/DayZ/etc).
  12. Well ideally you need to turn on the GPO setting so that laptops store their recovery key in Active Directory. For a non-domain laptop like this that would not help. So We have a folder in our IT network share full of keys, bex files and tpm backups for each laptop.
  13. I still needed the recovery key to decrypt the volume (Note that you can't do anything with a USB key/or pin). So aslong as you don't loose those then your data is secure.
  14. I figured it out. I made a WinPE CD with 'manage-bde' installed on it. I downloaded the Windows AIK for Win 7 and installed it. Then used these commands in the Deployment Tools Command Prompt to make a bootable ISO: copype.cmd x86 c:\winpe_x86 dism /mount-wim /wimfile:c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim /index:1 /mountdir:c:\winpe_x86\mount dism /image:c:\winpe_x86\mount /add-package /packagepath:"c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_FPs\WinPE-WMI.cab" dism /unmount-Wim /mountdir:c:\winpe_x86\mount /commit copy c:\winpe_x86\winpe.wim c:\winpe_x86\ISO\sources\boot.wim oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_x86\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_x86\ISO c:\winpe_x86\winpe_x86.iso Then I burned the ISO and booted the laptop up. I then ran these commands to decrypt the drive: manage-bde -unlock c: -recoverypassword manage-bde -off c: The decryption process took a while, you can monitor it's status with: manage-bde -status c: One the drive had fully decrypted and Bitlocker had been removed I rebooted and used my normal tools to reset the local admin password.
  15. I am not a school. However my tier 1 is: 6x Hosts + Netapp SAN (HA pair of filers with 14Tb in aggregates) Mirrored hardware at Secondary DR site (1Gbit fibre link for continuous sync). I also have disk backup and disk to tape for my less important stuff.
  16. Hi everyone, Here's a little something I knocked up at work. R It sets the AD JobTitle/Phone Numbers/Address info based on the HR Database and E-mails a report on how well it got on. I've sanitised it and put it on GitHub Gist. If you find it useful or have any questions let me know. https://gist.github.com/EvilGrinUK/ec7cb879d8654ad3eedb
      • 1
      • Thanks
  17. I have a users laptop with Win7 Enterprise that uses Bitlocker drive encryption. It is not on the domain and only has local accounts on it. In her wisdom she has locked herself out of her local account and the admin account too. Normally we'd just use the NTPasswd Reset CD and get back in but Bitlocker prevents this. On the older Truecrypt protected Laptop it was possible to boot with Hirens Boot CD and decrypt the local drive and then run the NTPasswd Reset. However this is not possible with Bitlocker as Hirens is based on XP. Does anyone know of a boot CD that would work in this situation?
  18. Server is up
  19. At the moment I'm only going to set a time limit or catastrophic destruction of the terrain or everyone has max tech.
  20. Alright, so everyone is done with DNS. So I'm going to redo the server this weekend. This time round it's going to be running FTB Trident. Which is a PvP pack. This also means the server will be public. http://i.imgur.com/imWrFCF.png http://i.imgur.com/SzRud6q.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/ip6Q7iV.png To that end, I'm going to consider a monthly server reset (on the last day of the month - I'm going to give people what's left of May + June for the first cycle). You can get Trident off the FTB Launcher. Grab it here: Feed the Beast :: Minecraft Modpacks - Texture pack - Maps
  21. I always set my network cards up like this: # The primary network interface auto eth0 iface eth0 inet static address 192.168.1.16 netmask 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.254 dns-nameservers 192.168.1.10 dns-search dev.work.co.uk
  22. @Muz is right. 'auto ethX' tells the network scripts to setup the connection on boot. I'd suggest you remove those hotplug lines. Hotplug in this case also covers removing the cable (it's to handle things like wifi really). Also, do you have network manager running? Also bear in mind a PXE-E11: ARP timeout error actually means the machine can't talk to the TFTP server listed in the DHCP options. So check that's right and check the TFTP server is running and bound to the correct interface/ip.
  23. Yes, beyond a very small setup (say a home lab) you need a functional systematic naming scheme.
  24. I'm using SCCM.
×
×
  • Create New...