Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Hightower

Members
  • Posts

    5,005
  • Joined

Everything posted by Hightower

  1. yeah - seems strange an IT dept wanting to use paper copies. surely you should be leading by example and trying to digitise everything.
  2. by cancel method I assume you mean setNegativeButton? If so, this didn't work.
  3. I'd rather the language I use have a feature that is not necessary to me, than not having a feature that is.
  4. CEX will give you upto £186 exchange for it, and I think you can get a Galaxy S from them for £240, meaning the upgrade will only cost you £56. CeX (UK) : Stock search
  5. How much are you hoping to get for it?
  6. We have two trolleys of 16, which were bought about 7 years ago I believe - long before my time. I expect they were bought because the subjects in question had nowhere they could use ICT facilities. This has since changed, and although the laptops sit ready to pounce (in a 386 sort of way) they are never used as they are long past their best and waiting for them to load would waste 70% of the lesson. We have no plans to replace them, as we have made available computer suites for these subjects, and any calls logged about the laptops are not really supported any more.
  7. I've achieved 1 by simply using a translucent theme, as well as a hidden title bar. How do I go about testing for the alertdialog to close and then closing the app when it does. when (alertdialog is not open) { close activity }
  8. I'm currently developing a tiny app that loads an AlertDialog. At the moment I have an activity and this loads the AlertDialog straight away. This method has two problems: 1) The main view loads behind the AlertDialog. I want the AlertDialog to display over the top of the home screen instead. 2) The AlertDialog is the only part of the app. When the user presses the back button it currently closes the AlertDialog and sits at the main view until the user presses back again. What I want is so this AlertView is the activity if that makes sense, so when the user presses back once it goes back to the home screen. What's the best way to achieve this?
  9. Or just use the link provided - worked for me
  10. Of course it's not nice, but they aren't alone. My whole family work for various departments at county hall, and out of 4 of them, 1 may have a job next year. I'm sure everyone here knows someone who is affected in a similar way.
  11. Nah, my priority would be seeing how many staplers I can flog on eBay before they kick me out.
  12. Impressive, but not stop motion - I can see his hands moving.
  13. But a solution isn't chosen based on cost alone. It has to have other advantages. For instance, I install some free software over a paid alternative. School thinks it is getting a bargain, but free solution is full of bugs and niggles and I spend a lot of my time managing it. Starts out pretty cheap, but by the time you take into account all the time I've spent managing it, it can become pretty expensive. I'm not trying to say Hyper V isn't the way forward, just that it must have advantages over using Xen or VMWare etc
  14. Isn't GhostCast an application of Norton Ghost Suite? How much does that cost per licence?
  15. That's fair enough, but the OP asked for a solution that was quick and easy - unless WDS can be configured in an hour (including an image uploaded) then surely we have to admit that FOG is suitable.
  16. I'm hoping to get the go ahead for this in the coming weeks. Hope to have 2 brand new servers arrive before the end of the year which I will configure on their own network, setting up accounts, permissions, services etc etc. Also create images for machines, MSI's etc without affecting anyone. Was part of a team that did this at my old school in 8 days - because everything was done server side before the change over the hardest part was copying data across and imaging machines. My plan is also for summer, but hoping to be completed within a couple of weeks if everything is configured correctly. It was tough with 3 of us. Gonna be even harder on my own for a similar size network. God loves a tryer!
  17. But nobody (except you) has mentioned virtual hosts. I highly doubt that single server organisations will be running a virtual host. See, with FOG you can pull a dusty old workstation out of the closet and stick it on there, and it should do the trick. With WDS you need something capable of running a Microsoft Server OS before you can image machines.
  18. Yes, but you must admit that your setup sounds quite a bit different to someone working in a single server environment, and that those environments will obviously not run as easy as yours in such a scenario?
  19. Really? I would have thought a DC has enough important stuff to worry about without having to fight to get NIC time. Also, surely the HDD's get hammered with imaging? Having HDD's locked up as well as your NIC can't be good on a DC?
  20. Are we talking about virtualising your servers here, or virtualising your applications?
  21. Ah hah, but some people don't 'worry' about having linux servers I understand that WDS does a good job, but I've never used it. Whether I choose WDS though, or FOG, or something else althogether, the hardware still needs to be in place for it to run. Is it receommendable having WDS on a DC, or is it better to have a seperate server to handle imaging? I don't have a lot I can throw at imaging at the minute, just a little space on our ESXi server - at least with linux I feel like I would be getting more pull for my potatoes, instead of installing a full Windows OS for one feature.
  22. Include anything you want I believe. I think it takes/transfers the images at 1's and 0's level so you could fill the machine full of 'XXX' and it wouldn't care. The image I took included Microsoft Security Essentials and a few bits of other 3rd party software (like Flash, Shockwave etc)
  23. I set FOG up yesterday and within an hour I had Ubuntu installed, FOG installed and configured, and a 10gig image uploaded to the server and ready to start deploying. http://www.edugeek.net/forums/general-chat/63984-holy-wow.html
  24. Ok, got this working people! Created certificate (90 day trial from Comodo) for sub1.domain.co.uk. Installed this certificate on the server. Then went into CPanel where the domain name is hosted, and created a DNS (instead of the redirect I had in place) record for: sub1.domain.co.uk --> IPAddress So sub1.domain.co.uk can be browsed to, and the address actually stays as sub1.domain.co.uk instead of changing to the IP address. This means that the certificate actually matches the DNS records now for this server. Thing is, sub1.domain.co.uk:1590/folder is where we need to get to, so I created another sub domain called sub2.domain.co.uk which does a simple redirect to sub1.domain.co.uk:1590/insight Now the user just needs to enter sub2.domain.co.uk and it will get them to where they need to be, fully certified. Gonna be a pain updating the helpdesk call with this info - might just copy and paste what I said here lol
  25. That's got to be the most confusing sentence I've read in my entire life!
×
×
  • Create New...