-
Posts
197 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by networkmangler
-
I have just been made aware of and been asked for advice about discord student hubs I'm not a discord user but student hubs it looks like it's a way of having a school specific group. You can only sign up to your schools group if you have a school domain email address I checked and it said a group hasn't been setup for my school yet. I have added an email address to the waiting list so should know if/when one is created I had a quick conversation with the deputy head, he said he will discuss it with SLT but essentially he was thinking of 2 potential options 1. Let student's sign up but try to police it our self. Either using prefects or possibly staff 2. I black list the discord domain in Office365 so that any verification emails get blocked. Which essentially means students can't sign up for it assuming a verification email is required Has anyone got any thoughts on it? or have plans to block/allow?
-
I created a batch file. The command is: "gimp-2.10.24-setup-3.exe" /VERYSILENT /SUPPRESSMSGBOXES /NORESTART /SP- /ALLUSERS I have tried manually installing gimp on a computer and the users get the same error so I don't think it's to do with the network install. It must be a user access thing. I don't know if it's trying to write to somewhere locally on the C drive, not being able to and crashing. I have just discovered that if I login as an admin and open GIMP, then switch user on the computer and login with a student account I can then open GIMP fine. It's as if the admin user has opened a file or started a process which the student user doesn't have access to but by starting the process/opened the file as an admin it works fine I need to narrow down what GIMP is doing when it starts up
-
I have been asked to deploy GIMP to the computer science rooms for the students to use during lessons I have created a package that installs fine over the network When I open it, it works fine for an admin user but a "normal" student and staff accounts get error messages. The error is "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe" fatal error: unhandled exception If they click OK on the error, GIMP closes. I'm assuming it's a file permission issue but I don't know how to resolve it. Event viewer seems to be pointing to "script-fu.exe" and "KERNELBASE.dll". Has anyone got any tips? or ideas? on how to resolve it?
-
They released a new MSI with a new way of dealing with updates: update_help_new.pdf (4matrix.com) It seems to be working OK for us so far
-
£142.50 per year Photo licence order form | ESS SIMS (ess-sims.co.uk)
-
We gave up and started using ClassCharts instead The only down side is ClassCharts don't have a facility to share documents (Like individual reports) to the the parents which the sims parent app does. So at the moment we still use the sims parent app to publish documents too and if a parent has an issue logging in we send them the report instead
-
I have Serif WebPlus 10 on CD and Serif WebPlus X4 in package form (I may also have the CD if I can find it) Although I think these 2 versions are older than X8
-
SAR redaction software
networkmangler replied to networkmangler's topic in Data Protection & Information Handling
Looking at the ICO website it says "Personal data is information that relates to an identified or identifiable individual. What identifies an individual could be as simple as a name" I could be wrong but I'm reading this to mean that if an email (or file) has the SAR subject's name in it, it makes them identifiable and makes it personal data The request we have had is for all personal data held on the individual in all formats We have emails like staff sending a list of students that are due to take an exam today and the SAR subject's name is on the list. All the emails the student has sent/received includes their name so makes them identifiable. Some of the emails he sent are just 1 word like yes or no which seems pointless to include but seem to be covered The student joined in Year 7 and is currently in year 11 so there are years of emails like this -
We have had our first SAR and it's a biggy. We use Office 365 so I have used eDiscovery to search our online resources and it came back with 100,000 items! We have asked for a bit of clarification to try to reduce this if possible i.e. don't include emails sent/received from requester (They should already have these), don't include emails sent/received by SAR student (again they should already have these) So I am looking for some software to do the redaction and if possible has an element of automation I have looked at Egress Respond, it's a little expensive and I have been told it will take a little while to setup What does everyone else use? has anyone got any recommendations? If possible I'm looking for software that can do files and emails. Also if anyone has recommendations on a physical redaction pen for printed documents I would b interested, we tried a permanent maker but it didn't work
-
We are lucky and have an office the size of a classroom. The Comms cabs were put in the room when the building was being built so it was decided it should be our office There is me, 1 IT Technician and the site manager in the office We have 3 TV's on the wall, 2 showing CCTV and the 3rd with NEMS telling us of any issues (Pictured). Under the TV's we have a workbench along the wall with wall mounted monitors. Under the workbench is dado with electric and network. One issue we still have is storage and keeping things tidy. We could do with more boxes/shelving to store things so I would defiantly counter that in
-
I have a couple of Raspberry Pi's, one running Cacti and the other running NEMS NEMS Linux | Enterprise Asset Monitoring
-
It's worth seeing if there is a BIOS update. It might be that you have an earlier version of the BIOS and the setting is not available
- 7 replies
-
- hp prodesk
- hp prodesk 400 g6
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
We have some of the HP ProDesk 600 G3 Mini's so the BIOS settings might be different but the settings we change are: Advanced > Boot Options > UEFI Boot order > Untick box I then check that just legacy is enabled under Advanced > Secure Boot Configuration > Configure Legacy Support or Secure Boot Also when booting to the network I use F9 and then select the network. When I use F12 I normally accidently press it too many times and cancel the PXE boot
- 7 replies
-
- hp prodesk
- hp prodesk 400 g6
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Has anyone ever tried a hand air blower like this?: Schneespitze Compressed Air Blower Air: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo One of the photocopier engineers that support us uses it and it seems effective
-
At the moment it's due in April: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=81359 It will mean students will only be able to use the chat if a member of staff is part of it "Use Teams administrative policy to ensure students are supervised by an educator during private 1:1 or group chats. With Supervised Chat, students will not be allowed to engage in chats without a supervising educator present."
-
My box came today but it didn't have any socks in it I'm not complaining, especially after receiving a box of free stuff but thought I would just let you know Thanks for organising this. It was nice to be waiting for a delivery at work which wasn't something boring like keyboards and mice
-
We have been using the Assignments and grades within Teams. We can see the information for these within insights on each individual class Is there a way of centrally getting this information? Ie all grades given to all students in a year group I have access to digital engagement but this only tells me what percentage of a students assignments they have completed over a given week. It doesn't tell me what grade they received Now that the government have announced that teachers will be grading Year 11 GCSE's this will be very useful.
-
I would think that you have a proxy server? Or some type of web filter? I would assume the IP details for what ever you use were entered manually and are set to static so won't pickup any changes from the DHCP I would check the subnet mask on your proxy and update it to the new one, this will hopefully resolve the problem
-
Downdetector looks like a bit of a top tip for checking problems. They also have one for OneDrive: OneDrive down? Current problems and outages for the UK | Downdetector The graph matches exactly the times we had the issue's. At least I now know it's not just us, it doesn't make it any less frustrating knowing we are not alone though
-
I have been told that recently (end of last week, beginning of this one) OneDrive has been becoming unusable/unresponsive at about 3 pm everyday. Staff unable to login, strange error messages etc Staff working on site and at home have both noticed it, so I don't think it's a network issue The issue seems to last for a little while and then sort itself out and work fine Has anyone else had this issue?
-
Whenever I have issues I normally click "Reset Sync" Normally when you upload the new CSV's it will sync only the changes from the last upload. The Reset Sync does a full sync and checks the data line by line Reset Sync - School Data Sync | Microsoft Docs
-
I have been asked if it is possible to hide future cover periods or only show the current/todays cover to staff in sims The cover manager has said that when she knows a member of staff will be out for a set number of days she organises the cover in sims in advanced but she has had staff coming to her moaning about cover that have been assigned to them in 2 or 3 days time We have also have incidents of staff being assigned 2 or 3 periods of cover in advanced and then on that day calling in sick. This may be a coincidence but there is a suspicion they have done it because they don't want to do the cover I'm assuming we can't only show todays cover but I thought I would double check to see if anyone had a way around it
-
This sounds exactly the same as the problems we are having and we have had parents happily using it for years to now have these constant random log offs and requesting a new activation code It's frustrating that parents can't contact capita directly so they would realise there is a problem The only thing I can think is that iOS 14 was released within a similar time scale of us seeing the issue so i don't know if that has anything to do with the cause. I going to get back to Capita again on Monday to let them know as far as we can see the issue has nothing to do with the login screen
-
We have been getting lot's of parents contacting us saying that they have been logged out of the Sims parent app and get a message saying they need a new activation code A parent came into the school yesterday, we got her phone all setup and working. This morning she has emailed to say she has been logged out and the app is asking for an activation code I contacted Capita and they said there aren't any issue's with the app. They also said the app has a new login page with a large activate account button which parents might be getting confused with. This doesn't explain why they are getting logged out in the first place Is anyone else having problems with it?
