Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

ranj

Members
  • Posts

    843
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by ranj

  1. I Have a question about this APC PDUs. We have just purchased 16amp and 32amp version of these PDUs but the non metered ones. I think they are called Basic PDUs. They have about 20 C13 sockets on them. My question is we are in the process of installing cable tray with 16amp and 32amp commando sockets which will then go back to a distribution board wheres feed will be coming from a UPS backed system. At the moment though we dont have this and part of power resiliency work is to get rid of all the extensions that are currently in the back of our racks. Install these PDU's and start wiring with these rather using extension sockets. Problem is because the ends of these PDUs have 16amp and 32amp commando sockets. I want to temporarily just use these on the mains until the UPS are installed. Which could at least another month or two. I can take of the commando sockets as its seems to be modular in design and I can see the normal plug wiring like earth, nuetral and Live. Would I be able to do this as long as I don't over provision the sockets. I have 2 x 16amp PDU's and 2 X 32 amp PDUs. I noticed that the 32amp version as much more of a thicker cable. I am assuming because it probably has more resistance but I could stick a 13 amp plug on this as well? As you can tell from my questions, my knowledge on electrical is non existent so any helpful advice that you can advise would be great. Thanks
  2. Hi All You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge with SQL but I have been tasked with retirting some of our oldest servers which are currently still used in production. Most of them are fine but I have hit an Windows 2000 Server with SQL 2000 and one of the databases is for our intraserver. I need to devise a plan to move this database over to an SQL 2005 or 2008 server. Any ideas on where I should start. Also as its a really old server I think there could be other db running on there. Does anyone know how I can find out what other databases are running on that server. If I go to SQL server enterprise manager, go to databases they are absolutely loads of db's but I have been told that most of them have been migrated over to other servers since. I went to current activity and checked the locks/object section and this I think is showing me what databases are currently used because I am assuming if they are locked it means that they are in use. Does anyone know of a better way? Any sites/books others would recommend for a newbie DB administrator it would be greatly appreciated. BTW these servers are VM's on a VMware ESX4 cluster. Thanks
  3. Hi I had a wonderfully stable BE 12.5 and CPS system working in concert with no issues for quite some time. Suddenly I started seeing V-79-57344-818 error messages appear in BE backups for the CPS destination folders, with a final error: Code: Final error: 0xe0000332 - File(s) are currently being backed up to the CPS Protection Server and cannot be backed up by Backup Exec. Adjust the schedules for the CPS and Backup Exec jobs that back up these file(s) to avoid running them simultaneously, and then try running the Backup Exec job again.Final error category: Resource Errors Symantec isn't very consistent in its characterization of this problem in the BE error messages, knowledge base, and forums claiming it's both a result of corrupted files and BE attempting to backup files in the destination folder that CPS is currently backing up. I can tell you that's rubbish, because I've examined the files and they are fine (can be restored intact) and the CPS schedule is deliberately set to NOT overlap with the BE backup schedule to avoid this. I also see in the forums where Symantec reps have advised people to backup the snapshots instead of the destination folders to avoid this, something I believe Symantec advises against in the CPS documentation and really, far more coomplicated for restore purposes should CPS need to be restored. It would be great if Symantec could fix this, but because this is not a fatal error what I would really like to see for now is a way to turn that error into a warning that's not flagged as a failure. Is there any way to do that? Any other suggestions on how I can work around this problem? Do I need to completely shut off CPS in the BE backup window and if so, any suggestions on how to do that in an automated fashion (on Windows Server 2003?) Thanks.
  4. Ideally it would be on our own devices but play multiplayer on 1 game
  5. Hi all Me and a group of friends are going on a trip to Thailand and we were thinking it be good if we can somehow play games offline and with each other whilst on our travel as we got some long journeys on our way. We have iPads and iPhones only. Anyone recommend any good offline games that we can play? What would be brilliant would be a poker, monopoly or scrabble game which we can together on our own devices and without requiring an Internet or wireless connection. Thanks
  6. Sorted it out in the end. We just created a new public folder and then moved objects into new PF.... Dont know what the hell went wrong there, I reckon it was some sort of issue within our environment
  7. I believe this is the issue: Also check the send as permissions for the BESAdmin user on the users account as well and make sure that the user is not a domain admin as this cooks BES too. I have tried to run a utility called iemstest and that has reported the following error: No Send As permission for the {domain\besadmin} account operator. and also am receiving a configured user.....failed.
  8. Hi We use Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2007 clients (not OWA). We are having issues with with public folders and the addition of a new user to manage public folder calendar entries. We have 4 public folders and if any request to enter an entry on the calendar is made, an email will go to this user and she will have to approve the request and then manually enter the date/time depending on which public folder it needs to go to. This user is on holiday and we want to give another user these exact permissions so she can modify the public folders. We have given this user the same access as the other user which is 'owner'. The user can add entries for 3 of the public folders but for some reason cannot do it for one. If she tries to add an entry, she is able to add the entry but it immediately disappears. We have checked permissions on the server. I have also used PFDAVAdmin tool to check permissions and everything is reported ok. I have compared permissions on both users and they are exactly the same but for some reason this second user is not able to add an entry for one particular public folder. Can anyone help? I am stumpted?
  9. A bit of an update to this: The recent setup a BES Express server and all is working fine apart from all users are not able to reply back to emails. They receive a red cross when they reply back and also receive a message "desktop Email program unable to submit message". Also we have had "message included an invalid address". It seems to be quite a common issue I have tried to do a few steps but none have seemed to have resolved the problem. Our BES server is on its own standalone W2003 R2 32bit server. Its connects into our Exchange 2003 server which is on a seperate server. We are running BES Express 5.0.2 (Bundle 14). We are also running SQL Express (free version) on the BES server itself. We have logging enabled but don't know if I can attach the logs.. I have tried: Restart the Blackberry controller service Rebooting the server I have also followed this guide: BESAdmin.info - Message included an invalid address show...... Followed a guide to configure LDAP on BES Express server KB03193 Since making the above change though I am now getting error messages in event viewer which say: LDAP: ldap_connect error = 0x00000051 Is there anything else I can try? At a loss with this... Thanks
  10. wow I thoiught this post was long forgotten. Since that post we moved this CMIS server to the VMware cluster. I have now since left the school so probably not relevant to me but maybe to someone else it might be helpful...
  11. Hi yes when I run repadmin and via AD sites and services replication is working normally but there are lots of errors in the event viewer. I dont know what the previous sys admin did. He has setup the sysvol shares on the e:\ drive on both servers?? I dont know why he has done this because the servers are virtual machines within a highly available cluster. Do I need to perform any prechecks before I demote the server as I am getting lots of error messages in event viewer and slightly amprehensive. I think the issue is with DC2 as GPO object counts are different on DC1 and DC2. If i go to sysvol\policies. DC1 is seeing more folders objects. Also if i type \\dc2\sysvol it is empty. Do the same on DC1 and I can see a proper sysvol/netlogon structure. These are some examples of errors on DC2. Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO CN={BA1647EF-208F-48BD-A0B4-11FE4A7CB9EA},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=***,DC=****,DC=com. The file must be present at the location <\\***.***.com\SysVol\****.****.com\Policies\{BA1647EF-208F-48BD-A0B4-11FE4A7CB9EA}\gpt.ini>. (The system cannot find the path specified. ). Group Policy processing aborted. Security policies were propagated with warning. 0x534 : No mapping between account names and security IDs was done. Advanced help for this problem is available on Microsoft Support. Query for "troubleshooting 1202 events". Error 0x534 occurs when a user account in one or more Group Policy objects (GPOs) could not be resolved to a SID. This error is possibly caused by a mistyped or deleted user account referenced in either the User Rights or Restricted Groups branch of a GPO. To resolve this event, contact an administrator in the domain to perform the following actions: 1. Identify accounts that could not be resolved to a SID: From the command prompt, type: FIND /I "Cannot find" %SYSTEMROOT%\Security\Logs\winlogon.log The string following "Cannot find" in the FIND output identifies the problem account names. Example: Cannot find JohnDough. In this case, the SID for username "JohnDough" could not be determined. This most likely occurs because the account was deleted, renamed, or is spelled differently (e.g. "JohnDoe"). 2. Use RSoP to identify the specific User Rights, Restricted Groups, and Source GPOs that contain the problem accounts: a. Start -> Run -> RSoP.msc b. Review the results for Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment and Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Restricted Groups for any errors flagged with a red X. c. For any User Right or Restricted Group marked with a red X, the corresponding GPO that contains the problem policy setting is listed under the column entitled "Source GPO". Note the specific User Rights, Restricted Groups and containing Source GPOs that are generating errors. 3. Remove unresolved accounts from Group Policy a. Start -> Run -> MMC.EXE b. From the File menu select "Add/Remove Snap-in..." c. From the "Add/Remove Snap-in" dialog box select "Add..." d. In the "Add Standalone Snap-in" dialog box select "Group Policy" and click "Add" e. In the "Select Group Policy Object" dialog box click the "Browse" button. f. On the "Browse for a Group Policy Object" dialog box choose the "All" tab g. For each source GPO identified in step 2, correct the specific User Rights or Restricted Groups that were flagged with a red X in step 2. These User Rights or Restricted Groups can be corrected by removing or correcting any references to the problem accounts that were identified in step 1. For more information, see Help and Support Center at The File Replication Service has detected that the replica root path has changed from "e:\windows\sysvol\domain" to "e:\windows\sysvol\domain". If this is an intentional move then a file with the name NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT needs to be created under the new root path. This was detected for the following replica set: "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" Changing the replica root path is a two step process which is triggered by the creation of the NTFRS_CMD_FILE_MOVE_ROOT file. [1] At the first poll which will occur in 5 minutes this computer will be deleted from the replica set. [2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set with the new root path. This re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set. At the end of the sync all the files will be at the new location. The files may or may not be deleted from the old location depending on whether they are needed or not. For more information, see Help and Support Center at
  12. I have done the meta data cleanup and things are certainly better now. I have also cleaned out redundant servers from AD sites and services. My understanding is the previous administrator didnt do a graceful demotion of the DCs and just turned them off! I have run dcdiag again and there are still a few errors and was wondering if someone would be able to assist with these errors. When running replication using AD sites and services, NTDS and when performing replication between both of our DCs that is working fine and it returns a message 'active directory has replicated the connections'. but when looking at the sysvol/netlogon shares of both DCs there is clearly a problem. On DC2 if i go to \\dc2\sysvol\FQDN\ it is completely empty. If I do the same on DC1 it has all the GPO policies as well as any scripts on the Netlogon share. Is it a simple case of copying the files from DC1 to DC2 and will replication begin working or will this not work? Any advice that can be given on the error messages on DCDiag will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] © Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp. C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.COFIELD>dcdiag Domain Controller Diagnosis Starting test: NetLogons Unable to connect to the NETLOGON share! (\\EIUKBRIDCS0002\netlogon) [EIUKBRIDCS0002] An net use or LsaPolicy operation failed with error 12 03, Win32 Error 1203. ......................... EIUKBRIDCS0002 failed test NetLogons Starting test: frsevent There are warning or error events within the last 24 hours after the SYSVOL has been shared. Failing SYSVOL replication problems may cause Group Policy problems. ......................... EIUKBRIDCS0002 failed test frsevent Starting test: systemlog An Error Event occured. EventID: 0x00000457 Time Generated: 07/22/2011 15:22:39 (Event String could not be retrieved) An Error Event occured. EventID: 0x00000457 Time Generated: 07/22/2011 15:22:39 (Event String could not be retrieved) An Error Event occured. EventID: 0x00000457 Time Generated: 07/22/2011 15:22:39 (Event String could not be retrieved) An Error Event occured. EventID: 0x00000457 Time Generated: 07/22/2011 15:22:39 (Event String could not be retrieved) An Error Event occured. EventID: 0x00000457 Time Generated: 07/22/2011 15:22:40 (Event String could not be retrieved) An Error Event occured. EventID: 0x00000457 Time Generated: 07/22/2011 15:22:41 (Event String could not be retrieved) ......................... EIUKBRIDCS0002 failed test systemlog
  13. Hi I have a bit of a dilemma with a problem we are having. We have 2 domain controllers running Windows Server 2003. Majority of our clients are XP but we are also running Windows 7 on a few machines. I created a group policy on a domain controller and then went to my Windows 7 client and ran a gpupdate but it returned with errors. The processing of Group Policy failed. Windows attempted to read the file \\c****d.x***p.com\sysvol\c****d.x***p.com\Policie s\{4A472870-D26E-4DB8-A679-969E071645D3}\gpt.ini from a domain controller and was not successful. Group Policy settings may not be applied until this event is resolved. This issue may be transient and could be caused by one or more of the following: a) Name Resolution/Network Connectivity to the current domain controller. b) File Replication Service Latency (a file created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller). c) The Distributed File System (DFS) client has been disabled. I had a look at the ways its was suggesting and found that the group policy had replicated to the other DC and confirmed replication was working properly. I also checked whether DFS service was running on the client and both DCs and this was running or wasn't installed (assumed this was normal) and I also checked connectivity between my client and DCs and everything seems normal. I checked the sysvol location as stated in event viewer and noticed that with the FQDN if I go to sysvol\policies. the folder is completely empty, if I type just the domain name I can see all the policies as well as the scripts folder. The windows 7 machine is on a different 192 network whereas the test XP machine is on a 151 network. When I check the sysvol location on the XP machine I am able to browse the FQDN but when I browse just the domain name its empty??? Does anyone know what the hell is going on?? I am so confused why its vice versa and why it isn't consistent. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thanks
  14. Clearly I didnt read the blog properly!! lol
  15. Saving me opening up a new thread I thought I would ask the question here.... We use Exchange 2003 and I am setting up a BES express server for our senior management members. I have been following this guide to set up the server: Installing BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Exchange 2003 | Brightpoint GB Blog The BES server is setup and I think is working. I am now in the process of adding in the users from the exchange environment into the BES server. I am just slightly alarmed about something I have read in the guide: "To associate a device to a user, the BlackBerry handheld itself can be connected directly to the BES Express server via USB. In the Administration web site browse to Devices --> ttached Devices --> Overview:" Surely this can't be right!! That is a problem as the server is virtualised... Can this process not be done over the air using wireless or something similar? Does the device have to be attached to the BES server? This is surely going to be a problem for many customer. Have I got this wrong or is this the way it has to be setup? Thanks
  16. Just received a useful tweet from VMware about steps to transition over to ESXi. Worthwhile having a look especially as they have offered some free training to move over to ESXi so customers understand the differences and implications (if any)..... VMware: VMTN Blog: Guest post: How prepared am I for ESXi?
  17. Hi I am using Backup Exec 12.5 as the software to backup our Windows Backup server to a Tape library using LT04 tapes. The backup job does complete but I seem to be getting an issue to do with VSS and just wanted to know if anyone had any issues with our to resolve it. The error we get is: - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "E:". Advanced Open File Option used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS). V-79-10000-11217 - VSS Snapshot error. The Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot failed. Make sure that all provider services and tasks are running. Check the Windows Event Viewer for details. Has anyone seen this issue and know how about to address it. I have looked on the symantec KB but couldn't find too much on this issue. Thanks
  18. Hi Just wanted to put some news I have heard... Apparantely I have heard VMware are ditching ESX and in the future esxi will be their platform of choice Anyone heard this from official sources? Just heard it from one of our suppliers and just wanted to see if anyone else had heard this news?
  19. Hi I just wanted to get other people's perspective on Bluray.... I am planning on get rid of my DVD recorder....mainly because its crap and never works and was the biggest purchase mistake I have made to date.....( Its a Samsung DVD-SH855M recorder if anyones interested in knowing) I was thinking of replacing it with a Bluray recorder but have noticed that apart from Panasonic no other brand seems to be making the recorders?? Am I missing something here? Is there a reason why other brands haven't jumped on the bandwagon?? I thought Bluray was quite popular based on the stocks in stores and blockbuster?? Are there better ways to record tv/sky programs? Is hard drive the other viable option? Just be interested to see other peoples view on this. Thanks
  20. Hi I am confused... I just spent a day with the iPad2 and a Galaxy Tab (the first edition) have to say I was very impressed with reading PDF books from the iPad but not so much from the Galaxy which is running 2.2 I am Android through and through and want to stick with an Android but want the experience I had with the iPad2 when it comes to reading ebooks from it. I have been looking around and the Asus Transformer looks impressive with a decent price.... I also know it has Honeycomb as I understand its more tailored for tablets than the previous versions and the experience is far better. Much better than what I have used with 2.2. One thing from my research that lets Android down is there are not many apps which are tablet ready but slowly this will come.... That's not too much of an issue for me as my primary use will be ebook reading and internet use. I dont see the point in buying just an ebook reader, for a few extra hundred I can get something which will offer a lot more and features that I would make use off. If anyone uses the transformer as a book reader. What are you thoughts?? Is the experience good. I held one the other day in a shop and it felt initially quite bulky but I suppose I could get used to that.... Thanks
  21. Hi Having an issue with a particular email address which for some reason is appearing in Outlook twice. One which works fine but if the user picks the other contact. What I dont understand is the spelling is the same for both but one starts of with a capital letter and the other isnt. When I go to distribution group in EMC it shows in there with the capital letter, If I try to add the lower case cover it doesnt work because obviously the name already exists and there cannot be duplicates. For the life of me I dont understand why in OWA it is showing duplicate email address. I attach a pic of what it shows to the user. Is there anyway I can get rid of that second entry? Thanks
  22. Check out Flightlevel350.com: Free Aviation Videos, Airplane Videos and Cockpit Videos for more outrageous videos!!!
  23. When Looking at that page and looking at the academic column, it doesn't specify EES, it does specify schools agreement buts that's now retired. Do you think this document is still current? When we purchase new machines even to this day we ask for the cheapest base license and we are able to get vista basic licenses far cheaper than a Windows 7 professional base license. As our supplier still ships with the Vista license I want to ensure that with our EES we can upgrade to Windows 7 Enterprise with just the Vista Basic license. As is usual with Microsoft Licensing, there never is clear cut information about this...Any one care to shed any light on this?? Thanks
  24. Hi I have a question regarding the new ees licensing and how we license servers. We run Windows 7 Enterprise alongside Office 2010 Professional Plus and we use Outlook OWA on the desktop. We previously have had Schools agreements and my understanding was if we had virtualisation such as VMware in place, we would purchase a Windows 2008 data centre license for each ESX host and this would license us to run unlimited Windows Servers on those hosts. Does this change with the new EES Microsoft Licensing? We have 3 ESX hosts and because each host has 2 processors we had to purchase 2 Windows Server licenses per Processor. I have heard from one supplier that we now need to purchase a license for every Microsoft server VM we run. If someone could help clarify this it would be most appreciated.. Thanks
  25. We use a package called Kahu. Link here: Kahu - Education Resource Management Really great piece of software to use for effective ticket management and resource booking. Your staff will really engage in it even if there IT skills are not great. I think if you contact them they even be able to offer you a trial for 30 days.
×
×
  • Create New...