-
Posts
843 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by ranj
-
Hi All On my Golf I have the discover navigation system but I suppose my question may relate to similar systems in other cars. I have some mp3s which I have on a USB stick which play fine on the discover navigation however I would like to add the album art rather than seeing a blank picture for a song. I have the mp3s in a folder and have downloaded all the album art separately, I just need a program which I can use to attached the art to the individual mp3. Is there a tool I can use to do this with? It can be either Mac or Windows but would prefer freeware. Preferably batch so I can select a folder with all my songs and then just add the album art easily. Am I right in thinking I need an mp3 tag tool? Thanks
-
Anyone moved to vsphere 6? benefits over 5.5?
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Hi bit of an update on this one. As a department we made the decision to go with vSphere 6 rather to 5.5. I have setup a new VM and the vCentre part of it is installed alongside SQL Server 2012 Standard. I have opted to install vCentre with the Embedded platform services controller. I have now got up to the Update manager component but have a few questions regarding VUM for vSphere 6. Am I right in saying we now need 2 separate servers to administer VUM? One has the Update Manager Server role and the other needs to just have the download service? Both services cannot sit on the same server? As we are only a small to medium size organisation I was wondering if there is a better way around this? We have 5 hosts and approx 150 VMs and unlikely to grow this as our hosts have plenty of resource both in terms of CPU and memory and have been recently commissioned. For VUM can I also use a separate DB on the existing SQL 2012 standard server rather than an embedded SQL express DB. This is the setup I had when we had 4.0 and 5.0 and it worked well. How are others using VUM with the non appliance version of vCentre? Thanks -
Anyone moved to vsphere 6? benefits over 5.5?
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
Thanks for the replies, that is very helpful. My next question is have most stuck with vCentre on a Windows machine with SQL server or has anyone gone to the VCSA with the embedded database? How has that transition been if moving from the Windows version? For small-medium the embedded one seems to cover most requirements and it also saves on a SQL licenses but what is like in the real world. Can you query the database as easy as queries on a SQL server? -
Hi Everyone Brief question on anyone using the latest version of vSphere for VMware. Has anyone upgraded to VMware vSphere 6? How is it going? If so did you move from v5.5 or an older release? If the version was v5.5, are they any noticeable improvements moving to v6? are there any gotchas to consider? Any input would be interesting to read about.
-
Thanks after much looking around at researching and trying to meet my budget as well as salvaging any parts I can from my old machine I have decided to go with Socket 1150 Model supporting Haswell Intel Core i3-4160 - System Build - PCPartPicker United Kingdom http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/ftwTRB Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Also would I need to purchase a CPU cooler or doesnt the processor come with one included? If I need to purchase one I am thinking of the Zalman CNPS 7500 AlCu LED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler This comes in around £212 which I am happy to go with. On the PSU question, I brought a 550W PSU about 3 years ago and would prefer to use that. Its a Winpower ATX-550L PSU HEC WinPower Win 550UB PSU Review - PCSTATS.com. Would this be compatible with the gigabyte board I am about to buy. On my current board which is an ASUS P5ND2-SLI socket 775 board I believe it uses the 20 pin plus 4 pin. With the new components I plan to install some existing kit, this will consist of: 1 X SATA DVD/RW Drive 1 X 120GB SSD 2 X 750GB HDD 1 X PCI-16 GT8600 Graphics Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated especially whether I can get away with buying the CPU cooler. Thanks
-
Hi I am looking to purchase new or used motherboard bundle. Would like delivery or can pick in west Midlands area Needs to use the 1150 Socket CPU type newer generation i3 (prefer i3 4160) At least 8GB of Memory Motherboard needs to be of ATX type Let me know if there is any further information required. Looking to spend around £200 mark.
-
Thanks for the replies... Another question I had on this was if I brought a Haswell i3 CPU do I also need to change the power supply or can I get away with my 5 year old 500W PSU?
-
Hi Folks My PC of nearly 8 years is finally going down the pan, its an old Pentium Dual Core D830 which I custom built. I am having a few issues with Hard drives continuously dropping out of the OS even though I have tested the disks which are all ok, blue screen of deaths etc. I have even reinstalled from scratch the OS. I now am looking to purchase a motherboard CPU and memory bundle so I can rip the old kit out and freshen it up a bit. I don't want to spend too much as I only use the PC for internet and work which may comprise of me logging onto the corporate VPN but also I may want to run some test virtual machines using VMware workstation for R&D purposes and have very limited requirements for gaming, the only game I will probably play is via Steam and that is Counter Strike Source. So I have been looking at a few options and because I dont want to spend loads, I think the AMD option would be the route to go for my budget. This is what I have specced so far: AMD FX-6300 6 core Socket AM3+ processor 8GB 1866Mhz DDR3 CL10 HyperX Fury White Memory Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 990x Socket AM3+ ATX Motherboard This is coming around £235 mark which is really a bit more than I want to spend, want to keep it to about £200 if I can. I have the case, 3 Hard drives which includes 1 SSD, 500W PSU and a PCI-E graphics card which I plan to reuse with the new bundle. As I dont reall keep in the know with PCs, I just wanted to get others opinions on this, ideally if there is anything out there for around £200 that could be better or same of what I specced that would be ideal. I have concentrated my efforts looking at Novatech, Amazon, Ebay, Scan, Aria and ebuyer for the parts. I can built the bundle myself also and dont need it prebuilt, if that will save some cash..which I think it will. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I been looking at second hand good via ebay, would these come recommended? Thanks
-
Fantastic, I can confirm I have tried this and it works Thank you. I used the /copy:DATSOU switch.
-
Hi All Hoping if someone can assist with an issue I am having with migrating home shares to a CIFS share using Quotas. I am currently migrating home directories from a Windows servers to create a CIFS share on a NetApp but I am assuming the same applies regardless of where the destination is. The NetApp CIFS shares works very similar to any newer Windows based file server. I have tested migrating home shares using Robocopy to ensure permissions are retained and the good news is this part works ok. I have enforced user quotas on the CIFS share I have created for Home directories however once the data moves over and I map the CIFS share to a Windows client it doesn't seem to pick up the quota for the existing files already in the share, it does however add to the quota if I add any new files into it. So I created a 100mb quota and migrated one of home directories over which was fine but the quota in Windows showed 100mb free of 100mb. Once I filled it up with 5 X 20mb files it then activated the quota and it was full. Is it by design that the quota wont work for existing files? I am assuming this is because of the way the ownership of the way the robocopy job is run? is there a anyway around this? Have others been able to migrate data and still keep the quotas intact? Any advice on this would be most appreciated. Thanks
-
The True* Origin Story of the New MacBook | WIRED Turn it up loud. By the end tears were rolling down my cheeks.
-
We have only recently migrated to Sharepoint 2013 so I don't see us moving for some while yet.
-
Hi Folks Has anyone used InfoPath to create forms? You know that software that sits in the Microsoft Office folder that no one really knows anything about :-) I only ask as I currently introducing some best practise at my work place, there so many of us engineers building servers and I am looking to introduce a Sharepoint list using Microsoft InfoPath as the form filler mechanism. I have created my main form which works great but this form I only want to be used when building new servers, for when we decommission a server we also want to keep a record of that of what server was decommissioned, what day, by who etc. What I want to happen is depending on whether the user selects new server or decommission server, if the user clicks 'decommission' then I want it to go to another form? I know there are many of different ways (non infopath) that this could be done, but because of the compatibility with Sharepoint lists, I think the only option is really using InfoPath to build the form, building the form through Sharepoint won't provide as much functionality. Hope there are some InfoPath experts here.... Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
-
Hi Folks have a question regarding some old HP kit we have. It's a mixture of HP DL380G5 and DL380G6 and these are now no longer used in our production environment. Our plan is reuse the 2 G6 models to setup a 2 Host Test cluster for R&D and testing. The G6's have 64GB of memory and the G5's have 32GB. Was wondering if we able to cannibalise any decent memory sticks from the G5 and pop these into the G6 without any issue. Does anyone know if that is possible? Many Thanks
-
Hi This is probably specific for anyone who uses the newer generation of NetApp arrays with the ACP (alternative control path) capability. We currently have a FAS8020 HA model with 2 x DS2246 SAS disk trays and I am just about to add a new SATA DS4246 tray to this. My question is regarding ACP connectivity to the new tray. I have looked at the current configuration and notice that the ACP loop from the last SAS disk tray goes back into the FAS8020 to close the loop as expected. Can I continue the daisy chain from the DS2246 tray to the SATA DS4246 back into the controller? Unlike the SAS cabling there isn’t more than 1 ACP port per controller. So can’t create a new loop from the controllers to the SATA tray. I have installed the new tray and connected the SAS cabling only and can now see the new storage from the controllers but I currently haven't created an aggregate/ volumes yet for the SATA, I will do that once the ACP config is complete. Current config Proposed config with new tray I know its a long shot as I doubt many have NetApp (the searches I found were limited) but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
-
Hi On SCCM 2012 is there a way I can bypass the permission screen on selective workstations so that I can automatically connect without requiring user permission. I know how we could do in 2007 but cannot find the setting in 2012. On the client machine when I go to software center, options, remote control I am not able to adjust the settings individually as the option is greyed out on the client so assume this is set centrally, is there a way some machines can be excluded from this rule? Many Thanks Ranj
-
Thank you, didn't even realise that was there! will log one now
-
Hi All I am currently trying to get my Office 365 tenant synchronized with my domain, we recently had an issue with the original server that we had DirSync installed on, and had to scrap this, so I have setup a new one. The installation has gone well, and the services seem to be behaving as they should be, and DirSync is trying to do its synch every three hours. However this is were I start to see the following errors, and when checking my online tenant, its clear that the server has not synchronized any new accounts. Could anybody out there please advise? See the error below: Please help, my hair is turning greyer by the minute!!
-
Hi folks I am looking to buy some some oak veener internal doors, probably 4 panel for upstairs and 2 pane glass glazed doors for downstairs. Cant' afford for real oak so will go for the cheaper ones. Been looking around and just require some advice if that is possible. I managed to find some on Wickes and going to be ordering them in the next day or so as they have a sale on. One question on this, I want to use clear varnish so we get the best possible finish. if we decide to go with varnishing them ourselves. I am assuming these need to be varnished before we get them attached to the frame and best to do this before they are attached? How best would it be to do this? I am going to need to rest them on the garage wall but i am thinking how will i get around the whole door with varnish. Am i going to need to wait till they dry before doing them the other side? Would it be advised to use something like a treastle for me to balance a door, paint one side, wait till it dries and then paint the other side? Something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?!!!!!ho01f-21 Any advice on this would be most appreciated. Thanks
-
Hi I have a Emporio Armani Tazio Rose Tone Case Chronograph Rubber Strap watch. I just had the battery replaced from a cheap market stall and that was the biggest mistake I made as now 2 of the front pins which serve the sub dials have literally just fallen off and fallen to the bottom. How this has happened I dont know as the market stall guy didnt even access that watch from the front, it was simply a battery replacement but clearly he has moved something which has caused this. Went back to the stall but they refused to admit that they caused that, so I am now stuck but would like to get my watch repaired. Does anyone recommend anywhere in the west midlands area or even an online repairer? Thanks
-
Upgrade vcenter to 5.1/5.5 or only up to 5.0 update 3??
ranj replied to ranj's topic in Thin Client and Virtual Machines
We are already running the HP release over the VMware release. Quick question, I am guessing the HP version is more optimised for the hardware? is that why it get's the thumbs up over the general release or is there another reason for this? -
vCenter v5.0.0 v755629 ESXi5 Hosts - v5.0.0 U3 1489271 Hi All Thanks for reading my post. I am currently working on a patching project to get all of our clusters up to a certain degree of updates and ensure all are at the same patching point. We have 3 seperate clusters which are managed through 1 vcenter. In one of our clusters we have our newest hosts which are based on HP Proliant DL380p G8 but the rest of the cluster uses hardware HP Proliant DL380 G5 with a mixture of slightly different processor types, they are managed using EVC to allow us to migrate from one host to the other. We have made a business decison that for the moment we are going to keep all of our hosts on v5.0.0 U3 build1489271 even though our newer hosts on one cluster could utilise v5.5 of vsphere mainly from a business continuity point of view as the machines in our DR site are also hosted on older kit which wouldnt accept v5.5. Now all patching of the hosts is now complete, the next phase of my project is to look at getting our vCenter server upgrade from its current build of v5.0.0 755629. I am in a dilemma, do I update our vCenter up to 5.0.0 Update 3 or do I potentially look at updating our vcenter to 5.1 or even up to 5.5 even though I wont be updating our hosts. by using a later version as and when we update the hardware of our hosts we could then benefit with utilising the new feature sets of 5.1 or 5.5. I am aware that going from 5.0 to 5.1/5.5 will be a bigger project than just moving from 5.0.0 to 5.0.0 U3. Just wanted to get others views on this. I am under the understanding that even if the vcenter is on a higher level it still should mean that I can manage hosts on the lower 5.0.0. Are there also fundamental differences with regards to the Database? Any thoughts or suggestions on this would be much appreciated. Thanks
-
Hi All I am currently doing a POC for VMware fusion in our organisation to try to sell to them they can use Windows 7 within a Mac rather than having 2 seperate devices. Using latest Fusion 6 pro edition. The Macs are running a mixture of mountain Lion and Mavericks. In testing I have created a Windows 7 machine and using unity I have noticed that if I am using Outlook in Windows and have a Mac application on top it doesnt appear to show the outlook notifications that appear. Is there a way in unity mode that I can show certain windows applications on top as the priority. I been unable to find a setting at the moment. It just means if our designers are working with an Adobe applications in Mac OS, they wont see their notifications unless they remember to keep checking once in a while.... Thanks Ranj
-
Thats brilliant! Many thanks. Works a treat!
