Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

casey

Members
  • Posts

    81
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by casey

  1. Go on, make me feel really old. I saw them in November 1974 at The Rainbow in Finsbury Park, then Bristol, and on the Queen's (the monarch, not the band!) silver jubilee in 1977 at Earl's Court. Now where did I leave my zimmer frame?
  2. Unfortunately the format for the free ad is very fixed. It requires the surname of the parent (which is the order they are displayed in the paper) and a first name. Then at the end of the message is the child's first name. Thanks to all for the replies. The school has decided not to do the ads this Fathers Day. Maybe next year we will have things clearer, or even as MrBitey suggested we could put some messages on our website.
  3. Every year at my primary school some of the year groups put Fathers (and Mothers) day messages in the local paper. It's free and the children seem to enjoy it and it's an unusual ICT lesson. However this morning one of the teachers asked me if the children should be doing this in light of the dreaded GDPR. The children put in their first name and (manadtory) the first and surname of their parent/grandparent/carer, plus their message. Anybody got any opinions or could point me to where I could find guidance? TIA, Casey
  4. The 'Bryant and May' series of dectective novels by Christopher Fowler, they have a vague similarity to the Ben Aaronovitch books. Lots of kind of supernatural threads and loads of information on the history of London, as well as being great stories and characters.
  5. I know what you mean abouth the costs of new EV's. A lot of people got Zoes and Leafs (Leaves?) at artificially low prices because of unrealistic GFVs through the PCPs they were offered. But having driven an EV for nearly 18 months I would hate to go back to an ICE car. So as long as I can afford it I will be sticking with some sort of EV even if it isn't as economical as other cars. I guess I'll be like those people who buy enormous 4X4s and only drive short distances on paved roads, a bit silly but that's what I prefer.
  6. There seems to be quite a polarisation of opinion between the 'EV brigade' and the 'petrol (and diesel) heads' here. The truth is that EV's won't work at the moment for many people, especially those with no off street parking therefore they wouldn't 'be mad' to go for an ICE car now. However there are a lot of people who say EV's will never work for them but then go on to quote 'facts' which are patently wrong. I am lucky enough to have a drive and can charge my car from empty to full in about 3 and a half hours, if I get a new Zoe or the new 40kwh Leaf it will take about twice as long but I'd only charge half as often. And if you charge overnight you can take advantage of off peak electricity and drive off with a full 'tank' every morning. In the summer I hired a Model S for a week and as well as charging at various Superchargers around the country I was also able to charge at home, it was slower but when you're asleep it hardly makes any difference. Also the range of something like a Tesla means you just drive it like any other car, 'range anxiety', for me at least, didn't exist. I know they are a very expensive car but battery sizes of more affordable vehicles are increasing all the time. The other thing is unless you have an EV you are far less likely to notice the chargers that are about. People at my work ask me where I charge and when I say any one of the dozen or more around Plymouth city centre and local park and rides they are amazed there are any here. (I usually only charge when I park in the city because the bays are bigger and there's less chance of 'parking scars').
  7. I followed a thread over on Speak EV about the owner of a Tesla Model X (I know, lottery win money for most of us!) who was involved in an accident which wrote the MX off. It was hit from the side so hard that the alloy wheel shattered like a plastic wheel cover and the 2 and a half ton X was spun right around. Luckily no injuries, but the SWMBO of the Model X driver is absolutely adamant that she won't transport her child in any other vehicle. I know it might be marketing hype but Tesla often tout the Model X as one of the safest cars "In the world" (Insert your own Clarkson impression here). Anyway back on topic, I still don't think that the OP is going to find an EV cheap/economical/practical enough at the moment. In a couple of years maybe, but not yet. Although I am very happy with my Renault Zoe and it is ideal for my particular usage I still find it a little restrictive on the rare occasion when I want to travel further afield due to range, I will be looking seriously at the latest, longer range, Zoe and the new Nissan Leaf when my PCP is up.
  8. I can't take PT Crusiers seriously anymore, since my daughter started listening to a musical called 'Be More Chill' one of the songs includes the lyric: "Rides a PT cruiser, God he's such a loser" I used to quite like the look of them before.
  9. Speaking as an electric car driver I can't see a Leaf or any other EV being much use to you (Tesla and lottery win excepted!) I don't think with your use case it would work for you, I would recommend a petrol car on environmental grounds but financially I think it would have to be diesel.
  10. If your son has a real problem with his arches it might be worth visiting a branch of Foot Solutions. They measure your feet and can get custom insoles made to help support arches. Both my wife and myself have these and they are very comfortable. However these are not cheap nor are the shoes they sell. It depends how much help your son needs. I did wonder if it's a bit of a con, being so expensive, but my wife can now walk further and more comfortably than she ever could before. We are off to Japan as well - tomorrow! Some of the styles can look a bit 'middle aged and chunky' but then so do I. They do sell Brooks running shoes as well, they can be pretty comfortable for urban walking.
  11. I guess this makes it pretty unlikely we'll get the Chevy Bolt/Opel Ampera E in RHD now.
  12. I'm not a podcast listener but both my wife and daughter really enjoy Night Vale. From what they tell me it's a bizarre tale of a fictional desert town, seems to have quite a following, they do live shows and have books as well.
  13. Have you checked the 'deleted photos' folder? That needs to be emptied if you deleted the pictures less than 30 days ago.
  14. I think it really depends on where you live for the speed side of things. I can see the Virgin Media cabinet from my house and the street I live in only has houses on on side of the road and woods on the other so speed is never an issue for me. However in other parts of the city there's lots of student acommodation and people in those areas have real problems with the speed. I have only had to have one SuperHub 2 replaced in the last 3 years or so, and that was an odd problem, it worked in full modem/router/wi-fi mode but not in modem only and VM just replaced it for me. Outages are incredibly rare where I am, probably only 3 in the last 10-12 years. Luck of the draw I guess.
  15. A rather strange choice of words from that report. Is the equipment broken, too old to be of any use, who knows. Anyway at this school the kit is rarely less than 100% working, what the children and teachers choose to do with that equipment is up to them.
  16. On the rare occasion I need satnav I use my Android phone like many here, but I've just ordered a new car which has TomTom satnav built in. Maybe that's how they stay in business?
  17. Another person who has been overshadowed by the more high profile deaths is Guy Hamilton the film director. His death is less of a surprise at the age of 93, but he directed Goldfinger, Diamonds are Forever, Live and let Die and The man with the Golden Gun as well as other non-Bond films. 2016 is a grim year for the entertainment industry. (and its only April)
  18. This used to happen to me in a previous school. Computers would randomly stop recognising the school network. Have you checked the ip address of the computer in question? It's a long time ago but I think the computers would pick up a 'self assigned' 169. ?. ? . ? address instead of one assigned by DHCP from the server. I think I used to pick an unused ip address from our range and manually assign it to the nic and it would be fine, then after a short while I would change the nic back to DHCP and everything would work as it should again. No idea why this happened or why the 'fix' worked. Been at my current school 5 years and never seen it happen.
  19. casey

    Shoes

    My current work shoes and the previous pair are Dr Martens, I've had my current pair for about 2 years and the previous pair for about 6 years. They are worn to work every day, I find them very comfortable and hard wearing. I know they aren't made in the UK but very few are these days. If I can afford it I'll try to buy some UK made Docs next time.
  20. No problems here in Plymouth with SWGfL
  21. Chuckster and Oaktech: pm's with link sent.
  22. Is it SP64420 you are looking for? I've got a copy I downloaded in May of last year. I used it successfully on an N40L.
  23. That's a shame, he wasn't that old really, I was quite a fan back in the day. Saw the Eagles play the old Wembly Stadium back in 1975 they were excellent, and they had Joe Walsh as a guest. The big music acts are thinning out a lot lately, if it keeps on like this the only ones left will be next Christmas's X-Factor winners. Yuk!
  24. casey

    Diesel Cars

    My dad has recently started using one of the 'premium' versions of whichever brand of diesel it is where he is filling up. He doesn't do it on every fill up just once every couple of months, he swears it improves the mileage, and generally gives the car more 'pep'. YMMV
  25. We are a primary with about 450 children from 4 to 11. We've got a set of 30 for class use and each class has 1 for the teacher. These are the type with plug-in charging, but I am currently awaiting 32 of the latest ones. The QR codes work very well for all sorts of things both lessons (a virtual tour of San Francisco with codes stuck around the KS2 area!) and admin, I did have trouble saving more than 1 item at a time to the server but I was told the latest version of the LearnPad software should have fixed it. (I haven't tried it yet) The battery life seems to be very good (a whole school day and more), as is the customer service, the technical help line really know their product. We had a couple of small hardware problems but they were fixed quickly. Repair cost seems to be good too, we had one dropped in the playground and the glass/plastic screen was damaged (but not the digitiser or screen behind) and we were quoted £25 for replacement and £7.50 p'n'p. They seem very popular with teachers and children, hence us ordering more less than 6 months after the first batch. Haven't tried printing yet, the older children use the 'Hand in' system and the teacher picks up the work from the Class Connect website. And the main advantage, they are easy to manage I've never tried to support multiple iPads but from the comments on here it seems to be a bit of a nightmare.
×
×
  • Create New...