Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

Primus

Members
  • Posts

    2,232
  • Joined

Everything posted by Primus

  1. This - something is seriously wrong here. You're going to need to go back to basics on your config to get to the bottom of this. For context we have an AP in every classroom and even with plenty of WiFi devices connecting and roaming about interfering I can reliably speed test at over 150Mb at any point of time in any given location.
  2. Primus

    Cambium ?

    How good is the pricing? Unifi may only have a 1 year warranty but they're so much cheaper than the other companies that you can afford to buy lots of spares and still save a fortune. I've also been using Unifi kit in education for 3 years now and I've not had a single device - switch or AP fail in that time. You have to look at this holistically - identify what you need your new WiFi implementation to do and then rank each competitor against it. When we did this it wasn't even close - Unifi won hands down and I've never regretted implementing Unifi despite many companies quoting on other solutions and bad-mouthing them and spreading FUD.
  3. No the new Smart Notebook basic doesn't require you to have a Smart board but it will watermark each page of the notebook if you don't.
  4. Sadly I think you've got zero chance of having this sorted today - have you ever dealt with Crapita before?!
  5. Why does he want a cloud controller he's a primary school? However he could easily host his Unifi controller online for free and therefore in the cloud - plenty of instructions on Google for how to do just that. In addition some resellers will host a controller online for free too. Unifi offer free support over email or chat - plus they're so much cheaper he can afford to buy spares and keep them on a shelf.
  6. Ok - what can Cambium do that Unifi can't?
  7. Personally I'd put a DC at each site - the traffic will be so minimal sync should not be an issue.
  8. No. We also aren't seeing any issues at all. We're on 4.0.54.10625 for both APs and switches.
  9. Blocking isn't sufficient, you need to do user level reporting. Our guest traffic is HTTPS inspected - don't like it then use your 4G.
  10. The POE switches are 1 year old, the none- POE switches are only a few months old. @mavhc - they moved across to using standard POE quite some time ago now.
  11. UAP-AC-Pro and UAP-AC-HD - in total we have 95 APs. With 48 port 500w POE switches and 48 port non-POE switches. - in total we have 38 switches.
  12. We use NPS with Unifi - where is it failing?
  13. We've gone Unifi for WiFi and edge switching and have zero problems just to reassure you!
  14. The validity period isn't that short - more than 2 years. It's more inconvenient than deploying a cert and leaving it for 10 years but then certs should have relatively short validity periods anyway. For context Smoothwall's previous CA issued certificates for 3 years by default so not a gigantic difference in terms of workload.
  15. It's not a Smoothwall issue specifically, the OP gives details on how Apple are now deciding on a certificate's validity.
  16. They do have their own format for exporting a mailbox??? Confirming the forwarding destination makes perfect sense to me? How many end users have used both products so as to give an informed set of feedback?
  17. Thanks for the later examples, I think saying things like the UI is stronger/more manageable is very much down to preference without specific examples. GAM is the Google equivalent for PowerShell and is very powerful. We've had no issues with password sync etc. and true SSO is also part of the G Suite offer. - PSTs - that great bastion of tech with no known issues, corruption etc? - How is forwarding emails more complicated than it needs to be? - Google tried to make email more friendly - labels are part of that and have been pretty much since Gmail was launched (if not exactly from launch)
  18. As someone who administrates both (don't ask!) can you explain why you think Exchange is better than GMail and what integration with AD you use that G Suite doesn't have? I'm genuinely curious - we recently took over a school that uses O365 and I have to say I'm not a fan at all.
  19. I'm not going to deny this may be why some schools did but I think it would have been quite far down the list - I think O365 was almost chosen by default - "we've used Microsoft Office etc for years and this is their new thing". I also believe it's only in the last year or two that Microsoft have allowed you to choose where your tenancy stores its data.
  20. Ok Courtney - can you specifically answer the points raised by MJTayloronline - have Impero made redundancies recently? Have any of the QA team been made redundant? Has the entire QA team been made redundant?
  21. The Nano HDs use standard PoE
  22. Sorry but I'd be going back to your SENDCO and saying this what they're paid for - their SEND expertise and experience. How can you recommend apps to them if you're a technician? Unless I've misunderstood and you're not a tech?
  23. I think the whole GUI of Smoothwall needs a serious revamp and yes the reports aren't very user friendly - were it not for the daily emailed and instant emailed we'd waste a lot of time clicking through reports where each invidual hit needs to be expanded invidually. So not pointless but in need of improvement definitely.
  24. We're pretty happy with our Smoothwall though like others I think their support right now isn't great and I'm hoping it's going to improve. How is reporting pointless? We find it absolutely vital.
×
×
  • Create New...