Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. rsync, which can handle interrupted transfers, or scp.
  2. I really hope you mean the fluffy animal.
  3. My machine is on my desk, I can already see them
  4. Hmm, this can sometimes not work if the local administrator has done his job properly and required authentication if changing boot parameters. Easier: - boot off a live CD - pray the administrator is a fool, and not used LVM encryption on the disk, and mount the root partition somewhere - chroot to the mounted partition and passwd it - unmount, reboot, enjoy.
  5. Google Mail is load-balanced (many, many times) so you've probably just landed on a different front-end server to everyone else. Anyway, to the problem: an expired certificate isn't a problem in itself, it just means the issuer isn't prepared to certify that Google are Google any longer. You can probably override it without a problem. Other inconsistencies do indicate a man-in-the-middle attack, and you should not proceed under any circumstances.
  6. It's a chicken and egg problem - with Active Directory integrated zones, both DNS and AD depend on each other. Active Directory depends more strongly on DNS than vice versa though, so Windows starts DNS services first.
  7. ISP? .
  8. It's pretty sluggish, but it works fine. ICMP replies are being dropped from their whole range though.
  9. He'd only be lazing about on here otherwise, so the net productivity loss is still nil
  10. "Parody Workmen"! rep++
  11. That's Mr Yeknomrr Adwop to you
  12. Sortof. Once you have a WIM-format image, you can mount it and do some registry and file hocus-pocus to have Windows find them during sysprep. I don't have my notes to hand, if you need them I'll dig them out after the holiday (when I'm actually taking some leave for once! )
  13. Likewise, although it's slightly less obvious (but it's there if you look for it).
  14. You should double-check the moodle documentation, but I would imagine the same as the Apache use (probably www-data).
  15. I've come across this before, and it's pure ignorance. It makes me sad
  16. I suggest /usr/local/share/moodle-data. On Debian-based (Ubuntu is one) systems, /usr/local is for the local adminsitrator's use and won't be touched by the package manager.
  17. Sounds like a pretty assertive 'non-fact' to me... Edutech is one moderator, so he's not "some of the mods". You need to a bit more careful about what you bandy about as fact, and back up your mod paranoia with something a little more concrete than 'Edutech is as young as me'. (@Edutech: not that I want to drag you into this)
  18. No, I just don't know it well enough.
  19. Did you install moodle from the respository package? In this case, the installation is at /usr/share/moodle and you should just add an alias for it into your web server configuration. Everything else is set up for you (and if you change it, you'll screw the package manager over next time you want it to upgrade things for you).
  20. Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System, Verbose vs Normal Status Messages.
  21. Our last batch was HP dc5800 SFFs and they've been fine (I've deployed them elsewhere, too). The cases are pretty pokey but they're nice and quiet and we have five years warranty on them, so it's not us that has to dismantle them
  22. It wasn't wasted, and have no intention of ignoring you, but just lately there's been so much thread derailing it's getting silly. Since this is a discussion that affects the whole community, I think it's only fair to try and keep in on topic. This is a good point. Can donators elect to add gift aid and that is enough? (Dos_Box should probably take some legal advice on this.)
  23. Only as part of a value for a REG_EXPAND_SZ type. You can't use environment variables in an ADM template because the variable changes according to context - in group policy editor, for example, it will probably be 'Administrator'. You could, of course, specify it as part of the answer when configuring a policy, or as the default answer, just not in key name in the template. I suggest you script a change like this, since you're changing preference registry entries, not policy entries, and that makes things a whole lot more complex.
  24. How does that contribute to the discussion? Personally, I'd sooner see a nominated list of charities or organisations, with admin approval, which can be selected by the donator at the time. Then we have the good bits of both ways: we (collectively) can vote for who goes on the list, but the donator has some amount of opinion on where it ends up in the end.
×
×
  • Create New...