-
Posts
5,017 -
Joined
Content Type
Forums
News
20th
EduGeek EDIT Conference
Blogs
Everything posted by powdarrmonkey
-
Just have, on the grounds the first box is half price
-
[news] First human 'infected with computer virus'
powdarrmonkey replied to BatchFile's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
You can't cite your own opinion... -
We have tea and proper filter coffee, some kind of cake or biscuit to buy, and proper subsidised lunch (mmm, jam sponge and custard ) I had never heard of graze, interesting... thanks.
-
[news] First human 'infected with computer virus'
powdarrmonkey replied to BatchFile's topic in Jokes/Interweb Things
I'm-an-expert-Cellan-Jones. Surprise. (Sshh, don't tell tech_guy.) -
True, but usually for a cause... is this going to be free (libre) software? Although I usually prefer better odds than "might not be a waste of time". What's your skillset and your plan, and if we formed a team what part would you play?
-
I still don't understand what you're saying. I'd have thought that would make you more cautious, not less.
-
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Struck off what?
-
Always consult a subnet calculator (unless you enjoy doing it in your head) if in doubt.
-
In that case no, there is no reason not to use those addresses (apart from badly written software, as User2304 pointed out).
-
Smoothwall Guardian - updates
powdarrmonkey replied to a topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
I have the following approach: block it immediately in a seperate policy list, report a batch of them at some convenient time, and then when the confirmations come through remove them from my list again. (Online shopping stuff is a favourite for this.) -
Why from scratch, particularly? Isn't this re-inventing the wheel (several wheels, in fact)?
-
Yes. I come from accounting stock, and I understand the level of formal enquiries into the lower brackets has increased substantially in that period. However, I don't have precise figures to hand (so I suppose you could call this anecdotal).
-
What's your subnet mask and IP range?
-
The revenue have been pursuing small (£100-£1000) dodgers extremely aggressively in the last 18 months.
-
No, subnet masks are just as important. A normal allocation is a /64 though, or 18446744073709551616 addresses. Plenty to go around even the biggest networks. Unfortunately I doubt it, there is not enough momentum
-
It will have to take off, there aren't going to be any further allocations left after next year... Anyway, in performance terms: you might see some small performance difference, because IPv6 was an opportunity to start with a completely clean slate. The regional registries have been allocated contiguous blocks, so routing tables are thousands of times simpler and therefore more efficient to propagate and to consult. I already use it natively, internally and externally. Try doing an nslookup for heffalump.powdarrmonkey.net with v6 lookups enabled. That is one difference, yes. IPv6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-
You are doing the kidding. Have you seen the fines for tax dodging? You're still obliged to declare it, even if you make a net loss... and of course if you're found to be covering them after all, the fines for fraud are even worse.
-
Mention nothing. Tax is your affair, it's nothing to do with the client. Add a note: "Note: no maintenance arrangement included, please contact me for per-page alteration costs." Again, the tax is nothing to do with them. You take a price, and then sort out the tax as a net amount later on. (Besides, 20% of £120 is £24.) VAT is totally irrelevant in this context. And again, don't even mention it. For once, I find myself agreeing with you Having a supplementary income (assuming there is no provision in your other contract(s)) is perfectly valid and fair, but if you're going to be informal about it I'd keep it that way. He's a sole trader. There is no legislation on who's allowed to invoice who (I'll send you from me if you like ) You supply an invoice, and you declare your net earnings at the end of the year to the IR. Disclaimer: not legal, financial or moral advice: you may end up within the threshold for non-taxable supplementary earning, in which case you may not end up with a tax bill anyway. However, ring the IR and find out at the end of the year. Actually filling in the form in April is a piece of cake. That's up to you. Again, ask the inland revenue. You'll pay a far higher price if you're caught and found to be evading tax, though. Fortunately I do have some limited experience. Under no circumstances assign copyright to the client unless they stipulate it as a term of the contract. It's your work, and you retain it. You are licensing the client to use the design in perpetuity (unless you agree otherwise), and you can sell it to other clients (unless you agree otherwise - spotting the pattern yet?). On the other hand if you ever commission a design, make sure you do stipulate copyright assignment to stop other people making their site look just like yours, legitimately. Somehow I find myself agreeing with you again..... I think I should go and lie down.
-
You cannot duplicate any of them. You merely distribute them as *limited* safety measure. This is the situation in which you seize roles that dead domain controllers were holding. (There are no such things as PDCs and BDCs any more, only domain controllers and domain controllers that are responsible for a master role.) You should be doing that anyway, along with every other backup measure you can think of. Forcibly playing about with DC memberships and master roles is an absolutely last resort. Huh? Why throw the metal away? Wipe the disk and set it back up as a domain controller (preferably with a different name, because of LDAP chaff). It's exactly the same process as far as the directory is concerned, the only difference is that the old domain controller still thinks it holds the master role, which is why you never, ever bring it back online once the roles have been seized. It's the same role... Certainly not! Domain controllers, prospective or current, have no business with such things. That's what network administrators are for. It's mandatory in the sense that you'd be a fool not to. Incidentally, you do also have a sufficient supply of global catalogue servers too, don't you?
-
No, your mask is correct. I still think there is something in between interfering and this result makes me more confident.
-
There aren't any hops, the two addresses are within the same broadcast domain.
-
Clear the arp tables on both machines and intermediate switchgear. Failing that, it smells like something is doing some layer 3 filtering (do you have ACLs on any switches?).
-
Smoothwall Guardian - updates
powdarrmonkey replied to a topic in Internet Related/Filtering/Firewall
Blocklist Feedback Form » SmoothWall Limited -
Just put in another graphics card and hook up your monitor. Caution - if you're using on-board graphics at the moment, adding a card can disable the onboard on some motherboards.
