Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

powdarrmonkey

Edu Supporters
  • Posts

    5,017
  • Joined

Everything posted by powdarrmonkey

  1. Ask a lawyer.
  2. I'd also go with Debian, naturally, but it can be tough to start out with. Ubuntu is much friendlier, you can always practise on it for a bit first. The Debian bias is down to me being a contributing member and maintainer. Ubuntu do do some weird things though - almost daily updates to stable, for example, so take it all with a pinch of salt. Likewise, pinch of salt. There are some awful tutorials and even worse advice out there from 'experts'. Best bet are the Ubuntu forums and mailing lists and the Debian equivalents. Ubuntu: ancient African word meaning "can't configure Debian"
  3. The tag merely defines who administers Nominet's records on your behalf. It's nothing to do with nameservers, DNS, external IPs or anything else. Have it detagged and deal with Nominet directly, though you'll pay through the nose for renewals if you do...
  4. OpenID does not involve in any way sharing login details between providers and consumers. For the sake of my wall, which is now sporting a head-shaped dent: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/OpenID#Simple_Overview
  5. You misunderstand. They are both OpenID providers already, so enabling OpenID on Edugeek would implicitly enable logins from them and any other provider (that adheres to standards, anyway, which Windows Live may not).
  6. Check in the event log. Every time it detects a change in policy, Shutdownertron logs the current configuration. If it doesn't, your policies aren't reaching the machine. That's the expected behaviour.
  7. Nowhere particularly, just circumstances are changing and I have to rationalise my time.
  8. I'm sorry to say that I'll be severely limiting my Edugeek time for at least the foreseeable future. I will still keep a close eye on some key forums: *nix Security Shutdownertron Announcements Coding and I'll continue to run unofficial chat and other services. If you need to reach me, please send me an email, not a private message. I suppose you could say this is extended leave, but not retirement
  9. Maaaaaybe... BBC NEWS | UK | England | London | Mobile phone plan for Tube users
  10. Nope, you still need the add-in: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4d951911-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041&displaylang=en
  11. Draytek make the sexiest routers in the world for the price.
  12. gah, that's going straight on the smoothwall list!
  13. Likewise, except I do do those things... but then, everything is attractive at the moment.
  14. Maybe the traditional pets, dogs, and cats examples will help: Visual Basic/Object Oriented Programming - Wikibooks, collection of open-content textbooks
  15. Ignore the bit about abstract classes, you don't need them until you start to use inheritance.
  16. A class is a definition of what an object looks like to the programmer. Creating an object based on that class means it possesses all the functions, subs an variables you specified in it, like a blueprint.
  17. You're not going to assign that withdrawal to a variable somewhere, just let it fall into a null pointer? Unless you're working with abstract classes, which can't be instantiated -- wait, I'm taking this too seriously...
  18. Well not really, since subs can't return values... but I see what you mean. No. In a full OO language, add() would be a function of some object (like object.Add()) and it would take only one parameter, and add it to the value already possessed by the object: Class myobject Dim mynumber As Integer Sub Add(othernum As Integer) mynumber = mynumber + othernum End Sub Function GetNumber() As Integer GetNumber = mynumber End Function End Class (my VB is rusty, but this is reasonable pseudo-code if nothing else...) This is the difference between procedural code, like your sub, and fully object-orientated methods like above.
  19. If Serco Facility can do it (and it does, we use it) I don't see why SIMS shouldn't be able to. Actually I think that's an indefensible position. Other major customer-focussed software manages to keep an audit trail perfectly happily - it's essential if there is any foul play, as in this case. You can't make a sweeping generalisation like that without some research.
  20. Object-oriented programming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  21. Of course then you have fun like the Bourne shell families, where we have test operators like "-eq", "-ne", "-lt", "-le", "-z", "-n" and so on, since it is not object-based nor has overloads...
  22. So it is in other sane languages, but that's what we have operator overloads for. Java apparently doesn't.
  23. I guess if you really want an absolute snapshot of the state of the machine, that's what you have to do... I don't think you need to be so precise though, why don't you have pre-xfer do a mysqldump? It won't take long, and in the middle of the night the chances of something being uploaded that the database doesn't know about are minute.
  24. Looks fine to me. Thanks for putting in the hard work, you deserve the credit!
  25. Causes bash to halt if it encounters an error with any of the commands. From the manual: An excellent choice Well if you really want to co-ordinate this centrally you have three options as I see it: a) use ssh on the backup server to log in to each server in turn for the service commands, and do your rsync from there; b) use ssh on the backup server to run a local script on each server in turn, which pushes the backup to the server; c) space out the backups overnight, so each server gets a chance at running full pelt (every other hour, for example).
×
×
  • Create New...