Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. https://www.samba.org/samba/news/releases/4.0.0.html Looks like getting rid of Active Directory is on the list f things to do for 2013.
  2. Our school has been using Citrix for nearly 10yrs now, I've done one 5-day training course and I swear I've only scratched the surface. The BrianMadden forums are a useful resource: Discussion Forums - BrianMadden.com
  3. I would (and did) put in a 10GBE backbone. If you have 500 wireless devices then you need to think of each switch as a 30port access point so 10GBE to the near edge is worth doing.
  4. Same way PS3, Wii, OSX do - buy using OpenGL. Any game that is ported to run on non-MS platforms has to deal with this anyway.
  5. Yes I think kids who are likely to be good programmers will be coming across BASH. BASH is already available for 70% of smartphones - chances are they have them in their pockets already. Are there more Windows servers than all the ESX, BSD, Apple, Solaris, Linux and other unicies put together !?!?
  6. I think they are getting methane and CFC's mixed up. There is a link between them - from my environmental chemistry days, CFC's react under UV light CF2Cl2 + hv -> Cl + CF2Cl and ozone is destroyed by the chlorine O3 + Cl <-> ClO + O2 So if they are Chlorine clouds ? then it's CFC's reacting with light.
  7. Not in the servers, supercomputers or telephone world. And BASH does work on windows too. .....
  8. I think the best thing they could do is release a Valve distro - and use that as the basis for any console they release. The community input of the distro would aid the development of the console.
  9. some we use: ZoneMinder -CCTV Scratch - Programming Appinventor - Programming VLC - multimedia Komposer - web dev Handbrake - video encoding MythTV - recording TV channels KVM - virualisation Various linux distros on comuters, samba for file/print serving, Apache for web, MySQL for databases.
  10. I'm surprised by this statement, David Davies previously struck me as one of the more reasonable Tories.
  11. I would very much recommend AXIS Cameras running on ZoneMinder
  12. Can someone sticky this thread please?
  13. instructions are here: Downloading the Source Tree | Android Open Source Building the System | Android Open Source
  14. ^ sweet. Thanks
  15. So the SDK is used for developing applications that run on Android. It includes emulators and such like. The Operating system is licensed under Apache 2.0 and GPL. The license can't be changed. You can download the source code for 4.2 using repo (written by google and published as OSS) here: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/manifest
  16. as many as possible. I'm getting really slow making config changes to windows these days compared to mac or linux. I want to memorise as many as possible.
  17. That's the T+Cs for the SDK. Android is published under Apache and GPL licenses. There's loads of Linux apps that are closed source. And I can't download RHEL 7 or the next version of Oracle yet.... I don't really see the difference.
  18. The source for android is here http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html Android is just like any other Linux distribution. You're free to modify it, copy it and hack it all you want.
  19. I'd quite like to learn the command line names for common configuration tasks such as network properties, printer properties etc if anyone could post them. I find it quite difficult to find them as they appear to be buried 5miles below the interface.
  20. How have Google done this? The source code for both Android and Chromeos are freely available to developers under open source licenses. http://www.chromium.org/chromium-os http://source.android.com/source/licenses.html
  21. Yes - Nexus7 is selling at 1million a month, and that's just one device in a plethora of android tablets.The ipad mini sold something like 3million units in the first week. RT i doing very badly in comparison. yes I am getting confused. My understanding now is that VLC want cash to make a TIFKAM version, that isn't ARM based. ARM applications should be metro based but don't have to be. traditional windows apps do run on windows 8, but it depends on which version of windows. Metro is the future so developers are encouraged to port apps to it and make their money back by re-selling them for the new interface. It's certainly getting much more complicated that "runs on PC or mac" these days.
  22. I guess because RT platforms are ARM only? And they are the only sensibly priced windows tablets. I was under the impression that RT had to be TIFKAM but I may be wrong.
  23. Indeed, sales have flopped. From the article it does sound like MS are putting resources into supporting developers now - but £50 on the first week of sales for a major application is undoubtedly going to be a signal to other developers that windows isn't the platform of choice that it once was.
  24. TIFKAM doesn't appear overly popular with developers. http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/378562/hit-game-makes-52-in-first-week-on-windows-rt
  25. Genius!
×
×
  • Create New...