Jump to content
EduGeek EdSec 2026 is Go! 27th Oct in Derby! Join us for a day of EdTech security focused talks, networking, and an evening social ×

CyberNerd

Members
  • Posts

    9,169
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by CyberNerd

  1. It depends on what what else is going on. On a normal day we have about 10Mb/s bandwidth free. I've not really got any precise measurements on that. I just keep an eye on the average and peak usages for capacity planning.
  2. No, but we do block large file downloads.
  3. I think your calculations are off somewhere because if you allow 60Mb/s that is essentially 7.5 MB/s, or 450 MB per minute or 26GB per hour. I appreciate this is at absolutely full throttle - but if it is possible to use your months quota within 24 hours then you have either over specified the amount of bandwidth you need or under specified the total number of Downloads you require. I would suggest lowering the 400GB limit and dropping the amount of bandwidth. We have 800 school owned devices and upto 500 user devices with google apps, youtube enabled. We occasionally hit 30Mb/s. Our average bandwidth (download) over a 12 month period is 440kb/s.Which I make just over 100GB per month.
  4. But what about when the MS affiliated educational companies are only making TIFCAM apps? Will Windows7 support TIFCAM? I'm just thinking long term here as we are due to upgrade from XP in 2013.
  5. yes I made a mess of that post. 2yrs left for Windows7 mainstream support or 5yrs for windows 8 mainstream support.
  6. It was only extended to stop linux from taking the netbook market, which didn't stop it taking a good proportion of the tablet market. The question now is for schools running XP is do they move to Windows8 for a good 8yrs of support or win7 for 3yrs.
  7. changing a cpu in 800 machines is a PITA. This will affect home users, but nobody else.
  8. you can chainload using chain.32 Comboot/chain.c32 - Syslinux Wiki It's included in syslinux: rpm -ql syslinux | grep chain /usr/share/syslinux/chain.c32 basically, I think you need to edit your /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default to look something like: LABEL Local Disk kernel chain.c32 append hd0 MENU DEFAULT MENU LABEL Boot from hard disk TEXT HELP Boot from the local hard drive. ENDTEXT Of course, you could add an option for network booting various kernels and protect them via a password.
  9. All tablets we tried. We followed advice from meru and no problems since. What's the issues you are having? It sounds like you have direct support from meru if you want it. I suspect its an infrastructure problem if you can't get enough devices per ap. How's your subnets set up? Do you have gig links to each ap? How many ap's go to each switch? Can the switches actually handle that traffic?
  10. 5 yr old laptop is my test machine it uses our school test system via vpn. Why spend anything on home test equipment if you have powerful machines at work? Better still would be to get work to buy into some server time in the cloud! Other than that just a myth box,telephone and desktop.
  11. It's not B*****t. Actually sounds remarkably similar to our site. 500 User owned devices with very little issue. Slightly less that 30 connections per AP. no login problems (no active directory either!!). All the issues have been to do with out of date drivers esp Centrio N's or blackberry. Again Meru have been very supportive and recommended excellent engineers who have fixed any issues that we have had.
  12. Why do you guys think nobody uses your forums? I'd bet its like I said in my previous post that ours are well used because staff can just use email to interact with them. We have 213 groups in our forum and 145 are regularly used.
  13. Thats still how the majority of teachers will communicate by emailing a list or group. The big advantage here is that you can 'email' to the forum - those used to email will continue to use it as they have always done and those used to forums will use it as such. Of course Google groups will allow you to hide your address if you set it. Theres some more info here: Groups Help
  14. ... er ... I can't find it. Search proxy (moodle 2.3) http://yoursite/admin/search.php?query=proxy
  15. Staff (and students) here use Google Groups. Google Groups can be used as both a mailing list (with instant emails) and as a group. It has the best of both worlds because we can centrally manage 'static' mailing lists/groups but also allow staff to create their own 'dynamic' groups. If staff want no email, a daily digest or instant email they can choose. There are extensive permissions such as moderated posts which you can assign administratively. or just use it like a mailing list
  16. Have you got the proxy set in moodle? should you have or is it an internal rss feed?
  17. for email we use the regular content filters then can export users email boxes directly by: gam audit export request username includedeleted or just apply an audit monitor. The content filters are described here: Objectionable content setting - Google Apps Help To get access to documents is done through the web interface is described here: Transfer ownership of Google Docs - Google Apps Help
  18. I would recommend the course that I did through QA IT Training | Project Management Training | Management Training | QA
  19. Google apps can do much more than Office 356 can do, including AD sync and instant MSOffice uploads. To get a real advantage from Office 365 you need to link it with Sharepoint and make sure all the kids are using Office 365 (the A3 plan). I posted here about why we chose Google Apps: http://www.edugeek.net/forums/cloud-services/104412-embedding-office-365-into-existing-vle.html#post896502
  20. my mistake - Set one side as static and the other as dynamic with lacp
  21. S 1750 16' x 10' No Yes, it was last used as a cupboard for drama but I don't know what it's original purpose was 4 Compaq and some random racks 2x 19" x 42Ux 1200 1x19"x42U x 600 and 1x19"x24Ux600 1 has 10 home built servers. 1 has SAN and !BM Bladecentre. 1 has external network equipment 1 has internal network equipment (9 switches) 970W switches 2.6KW servers (rack 1). don't know about the other don't know don't know 32 metres cubed per min. Can't find BTU specs
  22. just make sure it's not running RT!
  23. can you recommend the supplier please
  24. Apparently the new Samsung Chromebooks run Ubuntu quite well. They are ARM based so I don't think it is terribly straightforward to get it installed, but they are quite cheap @£229 inc VAT
  25. £43k to £106k Heads and deputy heads' pay scales - Career - TES
×
×
  • Create New...